Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London jogger pushes woman in front of bus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would be more worried if bus driver suddenly stopped the bus, ran after the guy and placed other road users in danger. His primary responsibility is safety of passengers and other traffic and not going all Rambo on some scumbag.

Anyway where I run isn't exactly visited by hordes of old grannies hogging the path still I never had any issues. Worst case scenario some eager Fifi decides to tangle up with my feet but there is really no excuse for aggressive behavior towards people you meet when running (cycling or driving). They have just as much right to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Would you really chase a mugger down a laneway? That's pure stupidity in my book, you could end up with a blade deep in your guts for all your heroic efforts.

Yeah I did, I'm not one for thinking before I act. I just do it and then think sh*t that was pretty stupid.
    I caught the guy, he pushed me, jumped into a car at the end of the lane and sped off. Got his reg plate and they caught him a few hours later. He had done loads in the area over the last few weeks. The woman got her belongings back.

I'll probably never learn, until I get stabbed :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mittel

all credit to the bus driver,

what a swerve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Yeah I did, I'm not one for thinking before I act. I just do it and then think sh*t that was pretty stupid.
    I caught the guy, he pushed me, jumped into a car at the end of the lane and sped off. Got his reg plate and they caught him a few hours later. He had done loads in the area over the last few weeks. The woman got her belongings back.

I'll probably never learn, until I get stabbed :o

WOW, you are a REAL wonder woman. congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: Tara73, don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

wow, some 'great' censoring in this thread. congrats to all. stupidity wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Hope this scumbag goes down for a long time for attempted murder, just what was going through his head to make him do something like that.

why the **** is tara banned,

trigger happymoderators

• Advertisement

ffs it's friday nite and people ar slagging and having the craic and u ban them,

Mod: Mittel, since you're apparently new, please read the forum charter before posting and refrain from posting in here again also. If you have a problem with moderation, you PM the mod (or report it if you feel it totally unfair), but don't derail threads.

Let's get the thread back on track again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Samaris wrote: »
    Mod: Mittel, since you're apparently new, please read the forum charter before posting and refrain from posting in here again also. If you have a problem with moderation, you PM the mod (or report it if you feel it totally unfair), but don't derail threads.

Let's get the thread back on track again now.

I laughed out loud reading that :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Anybody kinda shocked that the guy they arrested has had his name/picture and profession plastered all over the media despite the fact he wasn't charged with anything?? Strange move.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Anybody kinda shocked that the guy they arrested has had his name/picture and profession plastered all over the media despite the fact he wasn't charged with anything?? Strange move.

It's grotesque but unfortunately not shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Was the runner definitely not Justin Gatlin??

I got the impression he was capable of it listening to the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

It's grotesque but unfortunately not shocking.

Not quite as grotesque as what almost happened. He deserves whatever he gets. He was totally out of order and almost caused the death of a woman and the distress of a bus with driver and passengers.

The fact he hasn't been charged means nothing. He has been clearly caught doing it on camera and he just kept running without turning his head for what I presume is at least 20 meters. There shouldn't even be a trial here, just a sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Apparently they arrested the wrong guy, the person named in all the papers has proof he wasn't even in the UK when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

LeBash wrote: »
    Not quite as grotesque as what almost happened. He deserves whatever he gets. He was totally out of order and almost caused the death of a woman and the distress of a bus with driver and passengers.

The fact he hasn't been charged means nothing. He has been clearly caught doing it on camera and he just kept running without turning his head for what I presume is at least 20 meters. There shouldn't even be a trial here, just a sentencing.

Of course there has to be a trial. The guy they arrested has a right to prove his innocence especially if he wasn't in the country while it happened. Cctv evidence is never enough

Apparently they arrested the wrong guy, the person named in all the papers has proof he wasn't even in the UK when it happened.

But...em...Lebash has already thrown away the key...

Really hoping you're a troll...

• Advertisement

tara73 wrote:
    yeah, you guys are all so great here, obvuiously can't even realise something which is very simple. head is melted, but sure, go on like you are, tis all grand with you anyway

Shhhh.

He has since been cleared...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40910144

A man arrested on suspicion of pushing a woman into the path of a bus while jogging has been eliminated from the investigation.

Eric Bellquist, 41, was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm following the incident on London's Putney Bridge.

His lawyer said Mr Bellquist "categorically denied" being the man seen in the video.

The Met said he will face no further action.
    Mr Bellquist's lawyer added he had "irrefutable proof" he was in the US at the time.

On Monday, CCTV footage was released showing the woman, 33, narrowly avoiding serious injury when she was pushed into the path of an oncoming bus by a jogger on 5 May.
    The footage shows a bus swerving to narrowly miss the woman.

About 15 minutes later the jogger came back the other way across the bridge.
    The woman, who received minor injuries, tried to speak to him but he did not acknowledge her and carried on jogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Would you say that if she got killed? She was literally just inches from getting hit by the bus. No sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it was sh1tty that his name was released so early. how retarded are the police there, a chimp could have checked his story easily

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Right on, lot of idiots on this forum, disagreeing with you.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Would you say that if she got killed? She was literally just inches from getting hit by the bus. No sympathy.

He was only a suspect at the time, since cleared. There would be plenty of time for appropriate shaming after someone was convicted. It reminds me of that "perp walk" nonsense in the US where people supposedly innocent at the time are publicly humiliated. Its like a show trial in some dictatorship.

Right on, lot of idiots on this forum, disagreeing with you.!

Again, hopefully you're a troll... nobody can be this idiotic...

Again, hopefully you're a troll... nobody can be this idiotic...

The guy pushed a woman onto the road and only for the quick reflexes of the bus driver she got lucky and avoided death. I have no sympathy and any decent human being would feel the same way.

The guy pushed a woman onto the road and only for the quick reflexes of the bus driver she got lucky and avoided death. I have no sympathy and any decent human being would feel the same way.

Oh dear...

Oh dear...

If it was not him, i agree they should not have released details, that's wrong. The guy who did this for real should be in jail.

• Advertisement

If it was not him, i agree they should not have released details, that's wrong. The guy who did this for real should be in jail.

The reason he should never have been named, had his picture and profession posted, is because so many people - like you - see 'arrested' and assume 'guilty'... this guy wasn't even in the country... he's a millionaire, and he'll soon have another not insignificant wad of cash to throw on the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

The amount of Daily Mail hang em high with no evidence, charge or trial folks posting on this thread makes me weep for anyone who's ever been found guilty by a jury.

Mena wrote: »
    The amount of Daily Mail hang em high with no evidence, charge or trial folks posting on this thread makes me weep for anyone who's ever been found guilty by a jury.

There was a lot more media outlets that would fancy themselves as "high brow" that named this guy, not just everyone's favourite punchbag, the Daily Mail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mena wrote:

In fairness, I think a lot of people are referring to the actual guy in the video when they're talking about what should happen to him, not Eric Bellquist.

The reason he should never have been named, had his picture and profession posted, is because so many people - like you - see 'arrested' and assume 'guilty'... this guy wasn't even in the country... he's a millionaire, and he'll soon have another not insignificant wad of cash to throw on the pile.

Miss my new reply, i agreed with you? I have no sympathy for the guy caught on video pushing the woman onto the road. The guy who was innocent, it was wrong to name and shame him.

Miss my new reply, i agreed with you? I have no sympathy for the guy caught on video pushing the woman onto the road. The guy who was innocent, it was wrong to name and shame him.

Yes, you replied "if it was not him".... after he had been cleared...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Dial Hard wrote: »

In fairness, I think a lot of people are referring to the actual guy in the video when they're talking about what should happen to him, not Eric Bellquist.

I'd love to believe that but some of the posts here are pretty clear.

And Whip IT I know but who can resist a cheap shot at that rag...

Yes, you replied "if it was not him".... after he had been cleared...

I not following every update on this story. I thought you were making excuses for naming the guy and he was found guilty already! If he was just a suspect i agree it was wrong to find him guilty if he had done nothing.

I not following every update on this story. I thought you were making excuses for naming the guy and he was found guilty already! If he was just a suspect i agree it was wrong to find him guilty if he had done nothing.

Yes, but you're proving my point and proving why the media is not supposed to name and effectively shame people who have not been charged with anything.

You quoted this post of mine, initially ^^^ and said.....

So you just saw that someone had been arrested, charged or not charged it was all the same... and you assumed guilt. It's a common kneejerk reaction - and this mud will stick to this man. Forever more, when a person googles this person's name, this will be linked to him... I'm actually glad he's a millionaire and presumably will remain so - could you imagine being an ordinary Joe Soap, applying for a job, trying to meet a wife/husband and having this stink follow you around??

• Advertisement

I don't know that it will follow him - I do quite agree that the Daily Mail should not have named him before he was actually charged, but fortunately for him, it only lasted a day or so before it was roundly discredited. That will also be readily apparent and this is becoming more and more of a known issue with the internet.

I hope it doesn't follow him, ofc. He was innocent. There is out there a guilty dick who deserves what comes to him, but it wasn't this guy and so it shouldn't have been broadcast linked to his name without proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    He won't be going to jail anyway, doubt it's him given his response.

I was right as always, hopefully he sues every newspaper who released his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

RasTa wrote:
    I was right as always, hopefully he sues every newspaper who released his name.

What will he sue for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What will he sue for?

Who gave his name first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't think he'd have grounds to sue. They didn't post anything untrue or defamatory; just that he was being questioned iin connection with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

kylith wrote: »
    I don't think he'd have grounds to sue. They didn't post anything untrue or defamatory; just that he was being questioned iin connection with it.

given the heat though the should be careful about not giving out his name. no man would want their name out there if it was a rape case for example, not everyone would get the memo later

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

not trying to justify his action, but she clearly makes an attempt to trip him and he simply went into defensive mode and pushed her aside. I doubt his brain had considered the danger of his action, he was simply defending himself

not trying to justify his action, but she clearly makes an attempt to trip him and he simply went into defensive mode and pushed her aside. I doubt his brain had considered the danger of his action, he was simply defending himself

I think anyone who's watched the video through would probably disagree on that. It's been analysed frame by frame out the wazoo and there's really no indication that she decided to randomly trip some jogging spod. The worst anyone can come up with is that her leg is sticking out as she falls over which is...well... an entirely natural instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Samaris wrote: »
    I think anyone who's watched the video through would probably disagree on that. It's been analysed frame by frame out the wazoo and there's really no indication that she decided to randomly trip some jogging spod. The worst anyone can come up with is that her leg is sticking out as she falls over which is...well... an entirely natural instinct.

That was my first impression also, but I did look at it closely, and she definitely stuck her foot out to trip him, and he just defended himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That was my first impression also, but I did look at it closely, and she definitely stuck her foot out to trip him, and he just defended himself

Before or after he veered towards her? :rolleyes:

She doesn't try to trip him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

What are you smoking??

• Advertisement
Advertisement