Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London jogger pushes woman in front of bus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That was my first impression also, but I did look at it closely, and she definitely stuck he foot out to trip him, and he just defended himself

At worst, there could be a dance of who goes to which side, which could give the impression of her leg being out as she moves to avoid him, but I honestly saw no indication that she tripped him or tried to. The police don't seem to either.

...Although if it comes to that, is the response to someone trying to trip one to shove them out into traffic? He would have to lean over her outstretched leg to get enough purchase for that shove, which seems highly unusual if his body was in motion in the direction he was facing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Samaris wrote: »

...Although if it comes to that, is the response to someone trying to trip one to shove them out into traffic?.
    I take your point completely. But, please take my point, if, as I see it, she tried to trip him, then he has a right to defend himself. I can't think that anybody would intentionally push somebody under a bus. But it is human nature to defend yourself. My take, on my own viewpoint, is that if somebody tried to trip me, I would move to avert the trip rather than the more aggressive method of taking the person out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Somebody here needs to go to Specsavers .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

It looks like she is already on her way to the ground before the leg goes out, it also looks like hes already gone past before her leg goes out..
    To me, it looks like someone falling after getting shoved, not someone trying to trip a jogger..

I take your point completely. But, please take my point, if, as I see it, she tried to trip him, then he has a right to defend himself. I can't think that anybody would intentionally push somebody under a bus. But it is human nature to defend yourself. My take, on my own viewpoint, is that if somebody tried to trip me, I would move to avert the trip rather than the more aggressive method of taking the person out.

Aye, I get your point on that and ...sort-of? agree (in self-defense, but not the extent), but I have to respectfully disagree that the premise holds in this case. It really does not look like she tripped him or even tried to do so.

Bear in mind too that this video has been held by police for two months and analysed and there has not (until it went public) been a whisper of an allegation that she had done anything wrong whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

RasTa wrote:
    Who gave his name first?

Groundless so.

LordSutch wrote:
    Somebody here needs to go to Specsavers .....

I don't think Specsavers could even help those that are unwilling to see.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I don't think Specsavers could even help those that are unwilling to see.

Just got my glasses from specsavers recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just got my glasses from specsavers recently

Probably worth putting them on.

Probably worth putting them on.

I do believe some folks are willing to see only what they want to see. My kid has asbergers. He runs every day. If somebody tried to trip him he wouldn't know how to swerve, he wouldn't understand why somebody would do that. So I refrain from judging folks. I just point out that it would have been his natural reaction to safeguard himself if somebody tried to trip him. He wouldn't have understood the implications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think you honestly need to look at the video frame by frame. The RTE one in the OP has it slowed down and you can frame by frame easily on mobile. Her leg absolutely does not move right until AFTER they made contact.

I do believe some folks are willing to see only what they want to see. My kid has asbergers. He runs every day. If somebody tried to trip him he wouldn't know how to swerve, he wouldn't understand why somebody would do that. So I refrain from judging folks. I just point out that it would have been his natural reaction to safeguard himself if somebody tried to trip him. He wouldn't have understood the implications

Bear in mind that by doing so, you are judging that the woman deliberately tried to trip a stranger and in some way brought down on herself that she was nearly killed by a bus.

It does cut both ways. The balance of evidence is that her story is quite accurate and is reflected by what is on the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't see how anyone could make a case for the jogger.

It's plain as day what the brute did.

Yet she didn't try to trip him according to the footage unless you viewing footage that the police and people on this forum have not seen. Or maybe like a few others you are taking a contrarian view for the craic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would you say that if she got killed? She was literally just inches from getting hit by the bus. No sympathy.

Why would this innocent man be more deserving of international opprobrium if the woman had died? There's no sense in you.

What if it was your name that was pulled out of a hat and plastered all over the Mail and Mirror along with your photo and address? Would you be OK with a throng of seething half-wits dragging you from your bed to a jerry-rigged gallows on the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think you honestly need to look at the video frame by frame. The RTE one in the OP has it slowed down and you can frame by frame easily on mobile. Her leg absolutely does not move right until AFTER they made contact.

Agreed, it's quite clear. Also it looks very much as if he deliberately veered towards her.

Why would this innocent man be more deserving of international opprobrium if the woman had died? There's no sense in you.

What if it was your name that was pulled out of a hat and plastered all over the Mail and Mirror along with your photo and address? Would you be OK with a throng of seething half-wits dragging you from your bed to a jerry-rigged gallows on the green?

Think you have it bang on pickarroney. Everybody is so willing to pick a side. But there is no side. Then I could say its all about values. And its not about values. What i see is just opinions. Nothing else. And poor opinions at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

^^^^ 2 hours ago

I have to admit. The man clearly moved to push her. The video is there to say it. And yet people refuse to see it. While I did try to be amusing I am shocked that anyone can see what happened for anything else other than what happened. First up our running friend with his coffee had lots of space on his runway. But he obviously veered. And pushed her. How many camera angles are needed?

^^^^^ a couple of days ago.

I'm confused...which is your real opinion?

fineso.mom wrote: »
    ^^^^ 2 hours ago

I have to admit. The man clearly moved to push her. The video is there to say it. And yet people refuse to see it. While I did try to be amusing I am shocked that anyone can see what happened for anything else other than what happened. First up our running friend with his coffee had lots of space on his runway. But he obviously veered. And pushed her. How many camera angles are needed?

^^^^^ a couple of days ago.

I'm confused...which is your real opinion?
    i watched it again

• Advertisement

i watched it again

You were correct the first time then. It is a bit startling how convinced you were that you were correct both times with two diametrically opposing opinions.

The evidence does not bear you out on the latter view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I don't know that it will follow him - I do quite agree that the Daily Mail should not have named him before he was actually charged, but fortunately for him, it only lasted a day or so before it was roundly discredited. That will also be readily apparent and this is becoming more and more of a known issue with the internet.

I hope it doesn't follow him, ofc. He was innocent. There is out there a guilty dick who deserves what comes to him, but it wasn't this guy and so it shouldn't have been broadcast linked to his name without proof.

Yes. The police have now released him, saying that it's clear that he was not the jogger and that they're now looking for other suspects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/08/10/man-arrested-after-jogger-shoved-woman-into-path-of-oncoming-bus-in-london/

Academic wrote: »
    Yes. The police have now released him, saying that it's clear that he was not the jogger and that they're now looking for other suspects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/08/10/man-arrested-after-jogger-shoved-woman-into-path-of-oncoming-bus-in-london/
    women maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeah, but you are forgetting some basic points here.

The bus drivers shoes were probably not running shoes like the joggers.
    And that would put the bus driver at a severe disadvantage for a start.

You are forgetting some basic points here.

The bus driver was driving a bus
    The bus had a radio and a bus driving colleague was 100 metres in front of him

I am so disappointed in the bus driver. I can't believe he didn't rip open his shirt to reveal the Superman logo and then ramp the kerb in his bus to chase down the culprit. Or at the very least rip open his shirt, park in the road, abandon his passengers and give chase like any self-respecting internet warrior would do!

What are superheroes coming to these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

i watched it again

Please do us all a favour, if a letter ever arrives requesting you attend jury service just scrawl the words "mentally incompetent" on it in big letters and send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Shemale wrote: »

He was probably more concerned with tending to the woman whose head had almost been crushed by his bus to think about that tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

i watched it again

I just watched it again too, and this time (after a sherry) I noticed the woman's scarf caught in the bus doors, the jogger saw this & quickly reached out towards her in an effort to save her from being dragged along by the bus, unfortunately she thought he was attacking her, so she kicked him as her scarf pulled her back & to the ground.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I am so disappointed in the bus driver. I can't believe he didn't rip open his shirt to reveal the Superman logo and then ramp the kerb in his bus to chase down the culprit. Or at the very least rip open his shirt, park in the road, abandon his passengers and give chase like any self-respecting internet warrior would do!

Obviously there were no phone booths nearby for him to change in

Just going on all the above, that bus driver seems like a right bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Omen II

What arrogant bitch.She completely railroaded him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jesus I don't blame the bus driver one bit for not giving chase- not only because his top priorities are his passengers and oh yea the woman who was nearly thrown under his bus- but the first thing I'd think of if it was me, would be is this a terrorist or something. All he would have seen is a man throw a woman out in front of him and then run off. In today's climate and the location of where it happened, it's the first thing that would cross my mind anyway. Some looney running down the bridge on a mad one. No way would you give chase to that. I imagine he's traumatised himself after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

women maybe?
    This is the age of gender fluidity I guess - that clearly male looking jogger could actually be a woman, and the person he pushed could be a man. You just never know!

But seriously, I didn't watch the footage properly until now - watched the slowed down bit over and over, and it seems to me like he veered to his right as she approached. She might have put her foot out (can't fully tell) as anyone would when someone is running towards them, rather than just tripping him up unprovoked as some are pretending. Maybe she said something to him that caused him to go for her (not that that's an excuse) but he may not have intended to push her right into the path of the bus. Still an idiotic thing to do.

It's always the way on social media that a handful of people will come along and try to blame the woman just for a reaction. I think they should just be ignored instead of given what they want

Those getting on the bus driver's case after he did a swerving manoeuvre and because he didn't stop the bus full of passengers in a busy bus lane in a massively busy city to chase one jogger where there are many joggers... are just doing the usual thing of "Well the individual who is actually responsible is unknown so we gotta blame someone else!" The bus driver did what he could and good on him. None of us have a clue what we would do in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just going on all the above, that bus driver seems like a right bastard.

I was mistaken, i thought he showed great skill avoiding her, which more than likely saved her life, but upon further viewing , as you say, clearly he is the villian of the piece, not the jogger, who happened to slip on a banana which caused him to hurl towards her. It was only on the 33rd viewing that i noticed the bus driver threw a banana skin out of the bus window, which the jogger subsequently slipped on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

Controversial stance coupled with your kid having a condition which is anecdotally convenient to your stance - a condition which you have misspelt. Colour me dubious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

is the bus driver Steve Ovett or some other top athlete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

1u22vx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Apparently both the woman and the bus driver were in cahoots in a carefully planned, elaborate compensation claim. The throwing of a banana skin by the bus driver - as mentioned in an earlier post - is indeed true, and coincided with the 'innocent' woman viciously sticking her tongue out at the unsuspecting jogger and calling him a 'poxy bollix'. All this can be seen from another angle in, as yet, unseen footage shot from the pov of someone who was actually on the bus in question. When interviewed by officers of the law following the harrowing episode, amateur cameraman Abraham Zapruder (112) confessed to a strange feeling of deja vu about the whole incident and was heard by the police to be mumbling something about magic bullets and Dealey Plaza before wandering off into the night claiming it was all nonsense anyway as he'd been dead since 1970.
    Writer/Director Oliver Stone was unavailable for comment said a drooling cretin from the Daily Mail (Irish edition).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You can just see the excitement in the DM office when they thought it might be an American Pyscho-type banker that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Candie wrote: »
    He's running from himself, Tom, but he can't run fast enough. Or maybe he's running from his past, but the past always catches up in the end.

You know me, I avoid cliches like the plague but at the end of the day you've just gotta roll with the punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I was being smart with the person I quoted, the bus driver was superb.

• Advertisement

I was being smart with the person I quoted, the bus driver was superb.

Ah, okay - well, there were a few people making much the same sort of comments - and I don't think they were kidding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It seems like there are enough DM readers out there who are more interested in the "Burn him" approach rather than waiting to see whether he is actually guilty. Taken from an article in Fundfire

An American private equity executive has been forced to hire bodyguards after he was detained and questioned by London’s Metropolitan Police over an incident in which a jogger was taped pushing a pedestrian in front of a bus, Yahoo! reports.

Eric Bellquist, a partner at Mayfair-based Hutton Collins & Co. who formerly worked at Lehman Brother, was cleared in relation to the incident this weekend. He adamantly denied he was the man who pushed the woman into oncoming traffic while running on a south London bridge on May 5.

Bellquist was being protected by veterans of the U.K.’s Special Forces on Saturday night, Yahoo! reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

seagull wrote: »
    It seems like there are enough DM readers out there who are more interested in the "Burn him" approach rather than waiting to see whether he is actually guilty. Taken from an article in Fundfire

An American private equity executive has been forced to hire bodyguards after he was detained and questioned by London’s Metropolitan Police over an incident in which a jogger was taped pushing a pedestrian in front of a bus, Yahoo! reports.

Eric Bellquist, a partner at Mayfair-based Hutton Collins & Co. who formerly worked at Lehman Brother, was cleared in relation to the incident this weekend. He adamantly denied he was the man who pushed the woman into oncoming traffic while running on a south London bridge on May 5.

Bellquist was being protected by veterans of the U.K.’s Special Forces on Saturday night, Yahoo! reports.
    Why on earth has he been named? Poor man. The mob doesn't give a hoot about innocence.
    And why the utter flock are they naming his workplace? And previous workplace! It's like they're trying to depict him as an arsehole Patrick Bateman type finance professional (as mentioned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ever find the real culprit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ever find the real culprit?

They ran out of ideas.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    They ran out of ideas.
    And the jogger now runs a different route,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

And the jogger now runs a different route,

If he is like the joggers in Dublin, he will do it again.

Hate going out around 7-9pm as there is always one that will bang into you just because they can't be bothered to go round you.

Its all about seconds and if it means they shave .0001 of a second by shoving someone under a bus, then that is all that matters.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If he is like the joggers in Dublin, he will do it again.

Hate going out around 7-9pm as there is always one that will bang into you just because they can't be bothered to go round you.

Its all about seconds and if it means they shave .0001 of a second by shoving someone under a bus, then that is all that matters.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ban it on the streets

Sierra Leonean police have issued a notice banning jogging in the streets without authorization.

The notice, signed by the police chief Francis Alieu Munu and issued on Thursday, said the ban is in accordance with the constitutional consideration for public order and safety.

http://bit.ly/2wcMC3S

• Advertisement

The last "road rage" incident in experienced was with a jobber who complained that I had "taken his road" I was in a car he was in his trainers??? on the road!!!
    the ROTR stated that I had the right of way, but he had different ideas as I had "lost" him a few seconds!

What a prick!!

Advertisement