Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyeing disaster - can I leave dye on for shorter time?

Options
  • 08-08-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Have had a colour disaster with Decolour colour remover, where it has made my hair a manky ginger colour, nothing at all like my natural colour and a far cry from the mid to dark brown I want. I discovered last night after removing the colour that you can't dye over it with semi-permanent dye as it contains peroxide and even a light shade (iced latte) will make my hair almost black. Does anyone know if I could put it on for say 12-15 minutes of the recommended 20 min developing time or am I just asking for trouble? Haven't got the time or money to see a professional about it. It's Casting Creme Gloss, no ammonia. Thanks in advance, E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I wouldnt chance dying your hair, if you leave it for under the recommended time it could turn out patchy and the wrong shade/colour. Youd be better off going into a salon and asking them for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

I wouldnt chance dying your hair, if you leave it for under the recommended time it could turn out patchy and the wrong shade/colour. Youd be better off going into a salon and asking them for advice.

Thanks for replying. A salon is not an option I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Unfortunately it can, it reacts with the ingredients in the hair colour remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks for replying. A salon is not an option I'm afraid.

Try using a purple or blue toned shampoo and conditioner, it might take down the brassiness. Pro - Voc touch of silver is a very reasonably priced brand that you can by in most chemists. Make sure to get the conditioner as the shampoo alone is like a washing detergent, its very drying and could cause your hair to snap.

• Advertisement

Try using a purple or blue toned shampoo and conditioner, it might take down the brassiness. Pro - Voc touch of silver is a very reasonably priced brand that you can by in most chemists. Make sure to get the conditioner as the shampoo alone is like a washing detergent, its very drying and could cause your hair to snap.

I'm currently doing a strand test on the semi-permanent dye. It's not so much the brassiness (which admittedly is awful), it's just that it's so light and not me! Will try as you've suggested if it comes out dark and brassy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

What colour had you in your hair before the colour remover?
    If your hair previously had bleach used it will turn it an orange/brassy colour of if you have had red in it would do the same.

Clever thing to do a strand test.

Be sure to condition the shít out of your hair. Hope it turns out ok.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Strand test is definitely a wise move. In terms of conditioning if you can afford to get a conditioning treatment done at the hairdresser (usually about a tenner more than a wash and blow dry) I'd recommend getting one that does Olaplex treatments. My hair was like straw after I stripped the colour and the Olaplex did an amazing job.

Strand test was OK so I just went for it.

It didn't turn out completely disastrous but it is very dark so basically I'm back to square one. Incredible how porous the Decolour leaves your hair. I put in a shade that was pretty much a dark blonde for ten minutes and it came out dark brown. They tell you to go one shade lighter than normal - my hair is mid brown naturally. I've been dyeing it for years so there was a lot of product build-up. The plus is that although it's very dark at least it's all the same colour, and even has a bit of a shine!

Thanks all for your input. x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Strand test was OK so I just went for it.

It didn't turn out completely disastrous but it is very dark so basically I'm back to square one. Incredible how porous the Decolour leaves your hair. I put in a shade that was pretty much a dark blonde for ten minutes and it came out dark brown. They tell you to go one shade lighter than normal - my hair is mid brown naturally. I've been dyeing it for years so there was a lot of product build-up. The plus is that although it's very dark at least it's all the same colour, and even has a bit of a shine!

Thanks all for your input. x

The color will lighten up after a few washes, use head & shoulders or a clarifying shampoo if you want to speed it up.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    The color will lighten up after a few washes, use head & shoulders or a clarifying shampoo if you want to speed it up.

Check and check - got both last night thanks. I think I'll just shave my head ...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

....... wrote: »

If you use a colour reducer, it removes most of the artificial colour pigments but will leave some behind, especially if you have a build up of colour on your hair.

When you apply any new oxidised colour afterwards, it re-energises the dark colour molecules from previous colouring and so they expand to fill the Hair shaft, therefore making the hair look dark again. That's why the instructions advise going a couple of shades lighter afterwards to take this into account.

I really wish they didn't sell these products over the counter as most diy-ers end up with orange coloured hair that costs a lot more to fix properly than if they'd gone to a reputable hairdresser in the first place.

So true MinnieMinx, and the manufacturers were less than helpful, no response to email/FB messages etc.

One thing that did work, and really well, was the Vitamin C powder and clear shampoo method of lightening your hair. I made the paste, left it on for an hour and my hair is now the exact shade of brown I wanted. I love it. Not the best way of achieving it but the end result was good. Now I just need to get the curl back in my hair, which nearly disappeared after the colour remover ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

So true MinnieMinx, and the manufacturers were less than helpful, no response to email/FB messages etc.

One thing that did work, and really well, was the Vitamin C powder and clear shampoo method of lightening your hair. I made the paste, left it on for an hour and my hair is now the exact shade of brown I wanted. I love it. Not the best way of achieving it but the end result was good. Now I just need to get the curl back in my hair, which nearly disappeared after the colour remover ...

Invest in a really good conditioner. And do a couple of intensive treatments a week.

You'll have to really mind your hair for a good while, it's been through a lot.

I personally agree those colour removers shouldn't be sold for home use. My own hair was destroyed after using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

La.de.da wrote: »
    Invest in a really good conditioner. And do a couple of intensive treatments a week.

You'll have to really mind your hair for a good while, it's been through a lot.

I personally agree those colour removers shouldn't be sold for home use. My own hair was destroyed after using it.

Personally I've had much worse results from getting my hair professionally stripped, I much prefer using a colour remover every few years to get rid of the build up of dye.

Advertisement