Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on PC and monitor

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just purchased a new system, and I wonder if I chose the right monitor for it.

Here are the specs:

Case: Fractal Define S w/ window
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W TXm Series Modular 80 Plus Gold, ultra quiet
    CPU: Intel® Core™i7-7700k Quad Core
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4 Extreme
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming
    Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: 8GB NVidia GeForce GTX 1080
    1st storage: 256GB Samsung SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe
    2nd storage: 2TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE

As far as the monitor goes, I was really happy with the one I purchased last year for my son, the Dell S2716DG. However, the price seems to have gone up more than 100 euro for that one, and it was out of the budget.

I wanted a 27in monitor with 1440p and G-sync, so I ended up buying the Acer XB271HUA, a TN panel with 1440p @ 144Hz, G-sync. There are very few reviews for this exact model out there that I could find. It is easily confused with the IPS panel of similar spec, the famous XB271HU, which costs 150-200 euro more.

I still haven't received anything, just curious if anyone here can express any opinions on the hardware above.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TN in general has worse colours but lower (better) input lag than IPS panels.

I'm sure it'll be fine after calibration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I bought an Acer, and similar to that it was very difficult to find any reviews on the exact model as they seem to have lots of very similar models with different model numbers! Couldn't find a review for the exact model I was buying but reckoned it was using the same panel as other similar models which I found reviews for. So you could check out any other acer models with 27" tn panels in the same resolution for reviews and it might give you an idea of the screen quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I had that monitor and found it very good, if that's any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I had that monitor and found it very good, if that's any help!

Was it you who said moved from 1440p to 4K in a post somewhere on this forum? I've never had a strong Search-Fu, cannot find that post again...

Advertisement