Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line 2017 in aid of Dublin/Wicklow Mounatin Rescue

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Singer wrote: »

Cold but dry, happy enough with that. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Cold but dry, happy enough with that. Looking forward to it!

Are you doing the long course DOH?

In for the long version...Cant wait after missing last year for the first time...

Whyner wrote: »
    I'm losing sleep over this run already :D:D. Booked in for the long. Most I've ran is 21k and that was 3 weeks ago. I'll be grand, gonna be torture though...

Did a charity run in Glendalough on Sat. Calves are very tight. Not sure if it's the elevation or my trail runners. Tempted to wear my running shoes this Sat

Roll on Saturday!!!

** just thought I'd post something non-ticket related **

You'll be grand in ordinary runners might be a bit slippy in spots....

Are you doing the long course DOH?

In for the long version...Cant wait after missing last year for the first time...

Long run, early start. Nearly killed me last year, so I did a bit of training for it this time around :).

Long run, early start. Nearly killed me last year, so I did a bit of training for it this time around :).

Say 2000 miles or so...:D

• Advertisement

Say 2000 miles or so...:D

Is your training for the race being mostly done on the day? ;)

Is your training for the race being mostly done on the day? ;)

Tell you tomorrow.....after....

Best of luck to everyone taking part safe round..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

As a reminder to any IMRA runners taking part in #RTL tomorrow, please don’t forget to remove your 2017 IMRA race chip from your shoe and also, wrap up well, it’ll be Baltic up there! Best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

great event as always, was a cold one, serious ice in places.

just to thank all the volunteers in DWMR. all in great spirits out along the course encouraging everyone along. it must have been so cold standing out there all day so tks very much.

great event, great cause, now to defrost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

+1 to that, the DWMR guys & girls were absolutely awesome the whole way around, a big big thanks to them for ensuring everyone got around in one piece - I doubt there are enough layers to keep that cold out...

Thanks to the organisers too, this is a fantastic event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thoroughly enjoyed the short course, tough enough but great fun and for a fantastic cause. Very well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bulmers wrote: »
    great event as always, was a cold one, serious ice in places.

just to thank all the volunteers in DWMR. all in great spirits out along the course encouraging everyone along. it must have been so cold standing out there all day so tks very much.

great event, great cause, now to defrost.

Didn’t realise you were doing this, J, would’ve kept an eye out. Long or short?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Really enjoyed the day. The long course this year was definitely tougher than last year, but all the better!

Went down pretty hard on my back coming off Fairy Castle but managed to get my breadth back and keep going, some challenge. Looking forward to seeing where I ended up in the standings.

Kudos on the course marking, excellent as always.

Event of the year it has to be said..
    Thanks to DWMRT for organising such a great event each year and to the marshals/volunteers not an easy job standing around in the cold all day...
    Great to have it in honour of your colleague this year too... You did him proud tshirt will be worn with pride.
    Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

You'll be grand in ordinary runners might be a bit slippy in spots....

Eh no, I wasn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the day. The long course this year was definitely tougher than last year, but all the better!

Went down pretty hard on my back coming off Fairy Castle but managed to get my breadth back and keep going, some challenge. Looking forward to seeing where I ended up in the standings.

Kudos on the course marking, excellent as always.

Ouch, hope you're ok. I went down twice but got back up in the same motion, you know those types.

Mate said some guy banged his head and there was blood all over a rock, he was wrapped up in a blanket when she passed. Hope it was nothing serious

Course was lethal, great fun though. The downhill sections through the trees were nuts

Was hoping for sub 3 but body went into spasm mode on the easy last few k and crawled over in 3:05. Took me over an hour to defrost in Johnny Foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Really enjoyed it. Only did the short course this time. The mountain rescue guys are a fantastic bunch and we got great support around the route.

Anyone who ran with ordinary runners was looking for trouble. And there was plenty so kitted out beforehand. Was well happy in my inov8s, despite a couple of minor slides.

Saw a few in the photos wearing headphones too, more people looking for trouble, when a shout from a runner or a marshall could make a big difference on the day.

Well done to all who got around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Did the long course yesterday. Tough day out for me - finished around 2:53 I think. Few factors to that - equipment and tired legs being the main factors.

I was wearing normal runners - pretty sure the materials said that they would be a suitable option - given that guidance I figured a lot of it would be on good trail or fire roads - so I wasnt looking for trouble as such though clearly given my experience of it, trail runners would have made a big difference. I have trail runners somewhere but have looked high and low and cant find them!

So wearing the normal runners made life very difficult, and I had to be extra cautious throughout, which slowed me down, although that didnt stop me hitting the ground a few times due to ice, tree roots and muck. I've picked about 10 gorse splinters out of my hands today too - who wouldve thought that hanging on to that stuff wouldnt be a good idea! :eek:

Overall though, in terms of the event, very smooth organising and set up, and well marshalled throughout... must have been cold for those folk standing around for the duration of the event. Ideally I would have liked an extra water station or two as I was quite dehydrated towards the end - again, I could have elected to bring a water bottle which would have been helpful in my situation otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fair play to you for getting around without major calamity. Easy to come a cropper even with decent grip. The advice given to wear trail runners or regular runners was obviously flawed. There was a facebook post in recent days from runtheline which specifically advised trail runners but they need to be consistent with their communication there.

In a wiggle sale around Christmas last year I got 2 pairs of these guys for a bargain based €41 each. Work a treat for me in most mountain running conditions. Would recommend same. Inov-8 X-Talon 212

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

This was my first trail run outing. Went for the long course hoping that the DCM training would stand to me. Probably about as useful as training for the summer Olympics only to turn up at an Ice Rink in the Winter Olympics. Learnt so much out there yesterday from more experienced hill runners and shared the laughs and thigh bursting groans over the last two hills. It was tough but enjoyably so and seemed to me to be a fair course meddled with by mother nature to keep us all honest on the hills. It was always going to more than just about speed out there. Maybe that is my excuse for coasting it when it fact I had more than met my match with 5 kms to go.

I will be back and by then I will have run lots more trails around our forests and hills. To the DWMRT "Congratulations" - great organisation, great event and great attitude on the hill by your members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

My first time doing RTL as missed it last year when something cropped up last minute. Great organisation & support I must say. Well I know as just when I was starting to enjoy it, came a cropper on a slippery rock around the 16k mark & ended up in the medical tent being stitched up by one of the dwmrt volunteers who's a doctor. Not quite how I'd hoped to finish but such is life!

Maybe next year I'll manage to reach the finish line under my own steam :)

The first clue about footwear came in the Glencullen adventure park car park... if it was like this here , what’s it like on the dark side of fairy castle were my thoughts. RTL long course nearly broke me last year, the lack of training made for a miserable return over from Tibradden. This time I had put in a good deal of work and it served me well. My goal was to get under 3 so 2:57 left me happy enough. Back next year to take another chunk off .... well I’ll try anyways. Great race!!!

Whyner wrote: »
    Eh no, I wasn't...

Ice is slippy regardless of runner choice...
    I have only ever wore "ordinary runners" at this event but cant remember the weather being as cold in previous years.
    I fell twice myself but like yourself nothing other than pride dented and cant say if I had wore trail runners the outcome would have differed.

Results are up now...
    2:09 is a serious winning time!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Hi all and well done to those of you who made it up to the starting line on Saturday! The support the team got was nothing short of tremendous...

As always, we are mad keen for feedback so please let us know what we did good, what we didn't do so good and what we could potentially do in the future, to better the event. Please do not be shy with any negative feedback either. We can only improve the event for future years with 1, your amazing support and 2, your candid feedback

Thanks again from all at DWMRT

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

A great event. I live in the foothills of the Dublin mountains and thought I knew all the trails around there but that faint path (I think it might have been under the leaves somewhere!) at the end of the Cruagh loop was a new one on me. Incredibly well marked and marshalled the whole way. 2h 16m for me on the long course. I must have taken my buff on and off a few dozen times depending on whether my efforts were keeping the cold at bay at any given time.

A small bit of feedback is that some complimentary tea at the end would have been nice. I actually would not have minded paying but it never occurred to me to carry money with me and after queuing up for a cuppa just after finishing, I found I had to trudge over to the car (which felt like torture at the time) to get my shillings. Only a very minor thing and I appreciate you are trying to keep costs to a minimum. Thanks to all in MR for the work (and endless hours of training) you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Hi all and well done to those of you who made it up to the starting line on Saturday! The support the team got was nothing short of tremendous...

As always, we are mad keen for feedback so please let us know what we did good, what we didn't do so good and what we could potentially do in the future, to better the event. Please do not be shy with any negative feedback either. We can only improve the event for future years with 1, your amazing support and 2, your candid feedback

I've only done two of these, last year and this but I can say the start finish area this year was miles ahead of last with regard to facilities, options for food, parking etc etc. So hopefully you'll be welcomed back to the adventure centre next year!

It's a good idea to let competitors know the tea / food etc isn't free - I don't have a problem paying and came prepared this year as last year I didn't have any money on me at all (I don't like leaving wallet in the car at races). Also if you're doing race number collection from The Great Outdoors or similar maybe start it at lunchtime to give more people a chance to get across to that part of town during the work day?

Otherwise as races go this is about as near to perfect as you can get. You guys are brilliant :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah, a hot cup would’ve been the business but then again it wasn’t much hardship to get one from the two cafes available. I think it was all perfect really, best marshalling ever (never been thanked by marshals for participating before). Course was really well marked. There’s a lot to be said for the lack of fuss and frills and it’s great that as much of the entry fee went to the cause as possible. You might consider losing the T-shirt (or charging extra for it) to keep costs down even more. Not sure that the chip timing was necessary either given the numbers. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

As always, we are mad keen for feedback so please let us know what we did good, what we didn't do so good and what we could potentially do in the future, to better the event. Please do not be shy with any negative feedback either. We can only improve the event for future years with 1, your amazing support and 2, your candid feedback

I'm genuinely trying to think of anything I would change about the event.... maybe lose the ice next year :D

The start/finish location was great... fantastic to have somewhere warm to wait and afterwards, facilities for changing were brilliant... marshals were very cheerful and it was comforting to know there were experts at hand if anybody did have a fall... good to encourage car pooling, we did that and had no issue parking.

Oh, i know... Some of the communication ahead of time could have been more clear... for example, the details of the control points and times... wasn't obvious that was just for the long course....

The only thing that annoys me about this race is that I can’t race both courses Would love to give the short a go again... but don’t wanna miss out on the long. Maybe there could be a summer version too... oh that would solve my problem!

• Advertisement

Keep the t shirt for sure....

Oh any chance you could throw me into Art O Neil; Summit to Summit given my fantastic time on RTL long course..;):D:cool:

Advertisement