Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace mains powered smoke alarm

Options
  • 08-08-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to replace an old broken mains powered smoke alarm. My question is do different types require different connector plugs. I have attached a picture of the current connector plug I'd like something that could possibly connect into that. It is on the right with four wires going into it. Two blues a white and a brown.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Is this the only smoke detector in the property? I ask as it isn't interconnected to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭henke

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Is this the only smoke detector in the property? I ask as it isn't interconnected to anything else.

It is one of two in the property. Not sure if they were interconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You won't get one with the same base plate & connector, as that is quite old. It isn't interconnected - you can see the interconnection wire is just put into the terminal block, but not connected to anything. Just turn off the power at the board, and change the base plate & connector when you get the new one.

Ok thanks I guess it doesn't matter what brand to buy? Just hoping its straightforward to know which wire goes where. I know how to wire a standard plug but looks like here there is two blues, a white (earth?) and the brown live one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

henke wrote:
    Ok thanks I guess it doesn't matter what brand to buy? Just hoping its straightforward to know which wire goes where. I know how to wire a standard plug but looks like here there is two blues, a white (earth?) and the brown live one.

Possibly the white a link cable as the lads mentioned above

Look at the Google Nest Protect or two

• Advertisement

henke wrote: »

Brand doesn't matter. The wiring is simple - blue = neutral, brown = live, green/yellow = earth. The white wire is just the interconnector wire - in your case the alarms aren't interconnected so you can either tape it up out of the way, or just stick it in a spare terminal in the block like the one that's there already. The reason there are two blues and two browns are just that it is looped into a circuit. Just join the same colours together in the terminal block, same as the existing.
    When you get the new alarm, wire blue to blue and brown to brown. There won't be an earth.

Cheers everyone for the help

They must be interconnected. You should consult an Electrician to sort out the wiring. RadioLINK (Ei Electronics) might be another option, although not cheap.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    They must be interconnected. You should consult an Electrician to sort out the wiring. RadioLINK (Ei Electronics) might be another option, although not cheap.

Not if they were installed before the regulation took effect (as I'd imagine is the case here) and you do not need an electrician to connect a smoke alarm.

The house is about 16 years old and I'd hazard a guess they are in since it was new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Gravelly wrote: »
    Not if they were installed before the regulation took effect (as I'd imagine is the case here) and you do not need an electrician to connect a smoke alarm.

I would suggest that it would be better to forget about finding loopholes in the regulations and interlink these detectors so that in the event of a fire there is a higher chance of survival.
    The house is about 16 years old and I'd hazard a guess they are in since it was new.

All devices have expired if this is the case.

If replaced with the Nest detectors (combined some & carbon monoxide) as suggested by Stoner they interlink wirelessly so all they require is a neutral and live (which the OP appears to have). These are easy to install and set up (with a free app).

2011 wrote: »
    I would suggest that it would be better to forget about finding loopholes in the regulations and interlink these detectors so that in the event of a fire there is a higher chance of survival.

All devices have expired if this is the case.

If replaced with the Nest detectors (combined some & carbon monoxide) as suggested by Stoner they interlink wirelessly so all they require is a neutral and live (which the OP appears to have). These are easy to install and set up (with a free app).

Ah, the ideal world.

Interlinking wired detectors in an existing house is probably going to be a major job, not one everyone would be prepared (or able to afford) to take on.
    Two nest smoke alarms would cost the OP around 7-8 times what the one replacement mains alarm he asked about would cost.

The OP asked about replacing a wired smoke alarm in an existing house, rather than proposing expensive solutions he didn't ask for, or laying guilt trips on him, why not give him a solution to his problem?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ah, the ideal world.

Interlinking wired detectors in an existing house is probably going to be a major job, not one everyone would be prepared (or able to afford) to take on.

Hence the suggestion of a wireless solution.
    Two nest smoke alarms would cost the OP around 7-8 times what the one replacement mains alarm he asked about would cost.

They are around €120 each, so yes more expensive but the labour costs are likely to be very much reduced which may lead to a net saving.

In addition these units detect carbon monoxide as well as informing the owner of the health of the unit and alarm status (via an app).
    The OP asked about replacing a wired smoke alarm in an existing house, rather than proposing expensive solutions he didn't ask for, or laying guilt trips on him, why not give him a solution to his problem?

Take a deep breath an relax. Life is too short to get this worked up.
    The OP may not have know that there is an additional issue with the detector (no interlink with other detectors). Solutions have been offered, as we are both unaware of the OP's budget it would be unwise to suggest what the OP can and can not afford. Many would think that the additional cost is worth it. Let's allow the OP to make this call.

@Gravelly: If you have nothing helpful to add to this thread do not post on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:

Best IoT devices I ever bought. I get regular maintenance reports and a minimal bit of emergency lighting too.

Just on wiring them I seem to have two neutrals going into the existing plug? Should I just connect either one and tape the other if a new alarm only takes one?

There are a number of differences, but this video will give you some idea of the installation process.

I am wondering would the use of a RadioLink with the following be an alternative to the Nest and a bit more cost effective, while still achieving interconnectability without wiring:

https://www.eielectronics.ie/images/pdf/Ei166e_DATA_SHEET.pdf

I am wondering would the use of a RadioLink with the following be an alternative to the Nest and a bit more cost effective, while still achieving interconnectability without wiring:

https://www.eielectronics.ie/images/pdf/Ei166e_DATA_SHEET.pdf
    Indeed. I mentioned it as an option in my post several days ago.

Looks good, what do these units cost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement