Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new Desktop that can handle VM Ware for Networking Course

Options
  • 08-08-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I am starting a Networking Fundamentals Course and have been told that I need to get a PC that can display two separate screens so that they can display two different Operating Systems/Servers at the same time

They need to be at least 19in and the ram must be at least 8gb. I also need to Purchase an extra hard Drive so that I can use the two screens at same time.

It must be possible to put Vm ware on it.

I will need to be able to put Hypervisor on top of the OS or bare Metal under OS.

I might also need to purchase an extra PCI express card so that the 2nd OS will display on the second screen.

Can anyone advise on what Desktop is suitable for the above.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any pc or laptop over the last few years can do dual screens. I don't see why dual screen is required though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Or why you'd need more than one video card, most modern ones can handle three screens at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or why you'd need more than one video card, most modern ones can handle three screens at least.

There is a case for a discrete GPU to do passthrough to the guest OS but I doubt the OP really requires that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I may have something for you, if you want it.

My old desktop sports an i7 950 CPU on an ASUS P6T SE motherboard, and 8GB of RAM.
    The GPU is an ATI Radeon with 2 DVI ports. Don't know the exact model, it is ancient (2010), but it will still easily run two monitors.
    I can throw in a couple of SATA HDDs, if I figure out how to safely wipe them. They won't be massive (320GB + 500GB), but should be more than enough for your needs.
    I've successfully run all sorts of virtualization on it, mostly on VirtualBox though.
    It's all inside an Antec case, with a Corsair 400W power supply, there's a working CDRW unit as well. Bit dusty and quite noisy, I'm afraid.

Yours for free, if you can collect from Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Whats with all the insanely nice people on this forum all of a sudden. Nice one Joypad!

• Advertisement

Whats with all the insanely nice people on this forum all of a sudden. Nice one Joypad!

You should have seen the Motors people pitching in to get someone a car.
    I'm giving away something I no longer need. Those people parted with cash!

Hey boardsies,

What would be an acceptable time frame for the OP to respond to my offer?
    I've had other people inquire about the desktop, and I wonder when should I stop waiting for a reply here and send the desktop to someone who needs it?

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Hello Joypad, sorry for the very late reply. ive been away from this for the last week.

Thanks very much for the offer but I cant collect so you can go ahead and give it to someone else.

Thanks to everyone who replied

Gone to the gentleman with the white car!

Advertisement