Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deductible expenses between lettings

Options
  • 08-08-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can you claim for expenses between lettings, would this not come under maintenance ?
    I'm a bit confused by the revenue website, it says the expenses are allowed in certain circumstances, and also says that expenses are disallowed in certain circumstances. I just can't seem to find what these circumstances are. Any help and advice on this greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

MayBee wrote: »
    Can you claim for expenses between lettings, would this not come under maintenance ?
    I'm a bit confused by the revenue website, it says the expenses are allowed in certain circumstances, and also says that expenses are disallowed in certain circumstances. I just can't seem to find what these circumstances are. Any help and advice on this greatly appreciated.

You can claim expenses between lettings once you re-let and haven't lived in the property yourself in between lettings.

But be careful, get an accountant to do your return if there is anything you are unsure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

AFAIK so long as the property is not used in between lettings for any other purpose, regular expenses such as mortgage interest, utilities, management fees etc. would be allowable. However, if the expenses are of a capital nature (e.g. building an extension), then this is adding to the capital value of the property and so is allowable against future capital gains and not income.

Anything specific, consult an Accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MayBee

Thanks a million, yes house is being re-let, and it's just painting, cleaning and the replacement of some items mostly, no major refurbishment.

Advertisement