Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loads of dogs barking off Cruagh Road, near Pine Forst

Options
  • 08-08-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭

Any time I'm climbing up the hill on Cruagh Road, towards the junction at the Pine Forest, I hear what sounds like a pack of barking dogs coming from one of the houses or farms near the top of the hill on the right hand side. They don't sound particularly happy, though I'm not quite an expert on interpreting dog barks. Does anyone know if there is a pack of hunting dogs kept around there, or a puppy farm maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a boarding kennels down near the entrance to Pine Forest, but there's also the DSPCA. I'm surprised you can hear either of them, though admittedly I tend to descend Cruagh rather than climb it so I can usually only hear rushing wind.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I frequently hear them too. I always assumed it was from the DSPCA, which is nearer the bottom of the valley. Didn't realise there was a boarding kennels nearby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the feedback. It would be a long way up from the DSPCA, so I doubt if I would be hearing them that clearly from there.

The location of the boarding kennels makes more sense. They have some 'interesting' online reports which would tie into my feeling of the mutts not being particularly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

You mean the hairpin on the Killakee road, after the Hellfire/Massey entrances?

oflahero wrote: »
    You mean the hairpin on the Killakee road, after the Hellfire/Massey entrances?

No, the other road, Cruagh Road which runs parallel to Kilakee Road slightly to the east, up to the Pine Forest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Are they still doing burnt offerings up at the Hellfire Club?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

No, the other road, Cruagh Road which runs parallel to Kilakee Road slightly to the east, up to the Pine Forest.

Only mentioned it because the dogs in that gaff near the turn are reliably mental every time I head up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Only mentioned it because the dogs in that gaff near the turn are reliably mental every time I head up...

yeah i was thinking the same place as you. i never hear them on Cruagh.

I think I've seen those dogs coming out to the fence to bark at cyclists - they seem to be well kept though, good guard dogs, no sign of distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I've heard them barks on occasion up near the top coming from the right hand side....

• Advertisement

I've heard them barks on occasion up near the top coming from the right hand side....

Yep, that's the one - seems to happen every time I'm going up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Was up that way last night....all quiet with big gates with a big long drive...Couldn't really see a house.
    Not sure how you could approach a situation like that but with the DSPCA being so close and the fact a lot of residential houses are on that road I doubt it could be a puppy farm. I could be completely wrong too.

To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about any kind of approach. I don't know enough about it to do anything - just curiosity really.

Advertisement