Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Diet

• 08-08-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice on my diet for the up coming marathon.

So far my diet consists of 3 Wheatabix in the morning, a couple of bananas and mandarins before my lunch runs (which can vary between 5 to 10 k at the moment and happen 3 times a week……. Obviously hoping to extend the distance of these runs as I go). 500 mls of choc/protein milk when I return followed by a fruit salad (blackberries, blueberries, grapes and strawberries) and far free yogurt around 2 hours later. Dinner when I get home (usually spag bol, mash and veg, lamb chops and baked beans)

On the weekends Im running 5k on the sat morning (after 2 wheatabix) and on Sunday I do my LSR at night 11pm (followed by some choc milk) with the same diet really as mid week. Im off the drink and don’t smoke.

Im happy with my diet personally but I thought Id come here for advice. Am I eating enough before my runs, should I eat differently after my runs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Ditch the weetabix

Here are a few different breakfasts which can just as handy and much more nutrient dense;

- Peanut butter on brown toast
    - Granola
    - A decent Muesli
    - Eggs, (scrambled, poached etc) with brown bread
    - Smoked Salmon on brown bread

These will keep you full for longer, give you more energy and be better for your health all around and can usually get without breaking the bank.

Your taste buds will also thank you for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

There seems to be a lot of sugar in your diet on a daily basis between the weetabix, fruit, chocolate drink and yogurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Make sure the dinners are not sauces from a jar, switch your breakfast around, porridge is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Does granola generally contain much sugar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Focus on your race/training weight first. Be as lean and light and healthy as possible...

Don't get too bogged down on types of foods. Good balanced diet and keep hydrated is all you should be aiming for. Probabably aim for more carbs than any other type.

Rest being probably most important of all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does granola generally contain much sugar?

You can make it very easily so no, some of the stuff bought in the shops is laced with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice on my diet for the up coming marathon.

So far my diet consists of 3 Wheatabix in the morning, a couple of bananas and mandarins before my lunch runs (which can vary between 5 to 10 k at the moment and happen 3 times a week……. Obviously hoping to extend the distance of these runs as I go). 500 mls of choc/protein milk when I return followed by a fruit salad (blackberries, blueberries, grapes and strawberries) and far free yogurt around 2 hours later. Dinner when I get home (usually spag bol, mash and veg, lamb chops and baked beans)

On the weekends Im running 5k on the sat morning (after 2 wheatabix) and on Sunday I do my LSR at night 11pm (followed by some choc milk) with the same diet really as mid week. Im off the drink and don’t smoke.

Im happy with my diet personally but I thought Id come here for advice. Am I eating enough before my runs, should I eat differently after my runs.

I'm not an expert but...

Switch 3 wheatabix to the alternatives already suggested or at the very least go from 3 to 2 and add some toasted nuts & seeds instead. Porridge is my own preferred breakfast or scrambled eggs if i've just done my LSR :P

From what i'm reading your midweek lunch is made up of fruit, chocolate milk & more fruit :eek: How about a good ole sandwich or a pitta bread filled with salad and chicken/tuna? Or veg soup? Or oat cakes spread with peanut butter & sliced apple? Maybe switch to 1 banana before you go running (if you really feel the need for something) and a proper lunch when you get back.

I'd also switch low fat yogurt to full fat greek or natural yogurt. It's more filling and less sugar etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm not an expert but...

Switch 3 wheatabix to the alternatives already suggested or at the very least go from 3 to 2 and add some toasted nuts & seeds instead. Porridge is my own preferred breakfast or scrambled eggs if i've just done my LSR :P

From what i'm reading your midweek lunch is made up of fruit, chocolate milk & more fruit :eek: How about a good ole sandwich or a pitta bread filled with salad and chicken/tuna? Or veg soup? Or oat cakes spread with peanut butter & sliced apple? Maybe switch to 1 banana before you go running (if you really feel the need for something) and a proper lunch when you get back.

I'd also switch low fat yogurt to full fat greek or natural yogurt. It's more filling and less sugar etc..

Hi Guys, firstly thanks for the advice.

I dont mind switching to Porridge in the morning. Whats the logic behind not going for / reducing wheatabix? I always assumed it was fairly healthy, is it secretly laced with sugar. I always feel full after a fruit salad with fat free yogurt, dont mind switching to full fat though or greek as they taste great over fruit.

I do enjoy the fruit, obviously full of natural sugars. I really just love my fruit. Never been a fan of healthy sandwiches (just dont like the taste to be honest) hence why i go with fruit.

What do you call a proper lunch? I shall be adding some srabbled eggs in to my diet as well as some wholemeal bread and peanut butter. Museli is a no go as I find it disgusting but shall be trying some home made granola though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jamie Oliver has a few granola recipes. I prefer the one from his Ministry of Food book, it doesn't appear to be online. It's pretty much nuts, seeds, desiccated coconut, a few raisins and oil. I don't usually bother with the syrup. Throw it in the oven, then you've a tub of it for a while. His other recipes seem a little fancier.

Weetabix, practically grew up on this. Haven't had it in years and don't know the sugar content. I suppose like a lot of cereals, there's not a lot in there that'll set you up for the morning, hence some of the earlier comments and porridge being seen a reliable alternative. The likes of fruit will through ya as it's mostly water. I'm fond of fruit too - and rice cakes, but they're more of a 'don't eat junk whilst watching Netflix', thing. The protein sections in supermarkets appear to be ever growing, great them with due scepticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

I regularly make a tuna pasta dish for my 2 year old that I've found is a fantastic post run feed.

Super easy to make. I use fusili, while it's boiling open a can of tuna into a large bowl and soften it with mayo.

When the pasta is cooked, drain it then toss it in extra virgin olive oil, leave for a minute or so then run the cold tap over it to fully cool it down.

Then just mix it with the tuna. Lasts a couple of days in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I wouldn't beat yourself up over the 3 Weetabix (or the 'wheat biscuit' own-brand equivalent). They're basically just wheat, with some sugar/barley as binding agent. However, 50 grammes of wheat with little else going for them isn't all that balanced as a fuel source, but they're no crime against humanity: I prefer them to heavier/bigger volume breakfasts. If they're working for you then just try some variation with other porridge, granola and other fuel alternatives. Having to have 3 would suggest that they're lacking in delivering what your body needs, and a long-term wheat-bloat/allergy might eventually develop.

The protein milk could be a problem though as an everyday item. The Avonmore choc/vanilla protein milk weighs in at 25-28 g of protein per 500 ml. This sounds great and,
      yes, it's infinitely preferable to the various sugar-laced milks that claim to be 'high protein' and, yes, it's considerably fresher than the plastic bottles of "uber radioactive gloop, best before 2525", and, yes, it's quite a lot cheaper than the "magic powder mix: shake/stir until your upper body muscles are stronger than your legs".
    But at the end of the day, for the 27g of protein you're also taking on 27g of sugar in a 500 ml. That's a huge figure for one liquid source, notwithstanding any KingKong-effect of the massive protein load.

Try some of the tuna options as alternatives for protein, e.g. the John West 'tuna with a hint of rare Old Spice aftershave' is cheap and convenient if you're time-poor at lunch. They're usually on special offer every second week, for about €1.50 for an 80g tin. Ordinary own-brand tuna in brine or in sunflower oil would be half that price again.

Ive switched from Wheatbix to Porridge in the morning (though I will have the odd bowl of Bix to change things up.) I have teh odd scrambled egg (with 3/4 eggs) on the weekends.

Ive started to add greek natural yogurt rather than fat fee yogurt to my fruit salads and have 4 slices of peanut buttered wholemeal bread (does it matter if its not toasted?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

You could try your Saturday run on an empty stomach( water allowed). This will promote fat burning and your body will look to store more glycogen. The longer the run the greater the stimulus.

A glass of milk and a banana is as good as anything immediately post long run. Then have something more substantial after your shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the primary reason for your question?
    Justification of your existing diet, input on a diet that will help you lose weight / give you enough fuel for your marathon training?

With a few tweaks your existing diet looks balanced, I would always advise to start with recording what you eat, plenty of apps that you can use and then make adjustments from there.

Also plenty of great recipes kicking around online to enhance that balance and add variety.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the primary reason for your question?
    Justification of your existing diet, input on a diet that will help you lose weight / give you enough fuel for your marathon training?

With a few tweaks your existing diet looks balanced, I would always advise to start with recording what you eat, plenty of apps that you can use and then make adjustments from there.

Also plenty of great recipes kicking around online to enhance that balance and add variety.

Well my goal is to just be ready for the 42km as best I can and want to know if my current diet will get me through as Im a fussy eater with a sweet tooth.

Ive ready tips on BBC good food from Mo Farrah and Sally gunnel, Farrah ate a bowl Frostys in the morning as he simply liked them and I was like “this guy eats a high sugar content food in the morning! Maybe Im not eating too bad” He eats generally good but has a few high sugar snacks too. I’m looking at my diet and its far from perfect but I thinking its not too bad. I just hope it isn’t detrimental to my training and ultimately my goal of finishing in 4 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well my goal is to just be ready for the 42km as best I can and want to know if my current diet will get me through as Im a fussy eater with a sweet tooth.

Ive ready tips on BBC good food from Mo Farrah and Sally gunnel, Farrah ate a bowl Frostys in the morning as he simply liked them and I was like “this guy eats a high sugar content food in the morning! Maybe Im not eating too bad” He eats generally good but has a few high sugar snacks too. I’m looking at my diet and its far from perfect but I thinking its not too bad. I just hope it isn’t detrimental to my training and ultimately my goal of finishing in 4 hours.

Your weight is going to have greater bearing of finishing sub 4 than what your actually eating day to day. If your overweight then eating a lot of crap is hampering you loosing weight. Wheatabix or porridge is going to matter on the day if you are 90kgs. If you are 70kgs and are eating some sugary snacks then I wouldn't be too concerned.

Mo can eat whatever he wants, he probably runs 100miles a week. Have a look what Phelps was eating for breakfast after a swim session, pancakes, muffins rashers bread. If you are burning that many calories then the engine needs fuel.

Id say im a little bit over weight. Ive a little bit of a spare tyre going on but otherwise Im fairly lean. I guess I should at least cut out the sugary foods for the next 5-6 weeks and see how I go. Im on the HHN plan but a bit behind at the minute to where I should be. Last week I ran just under 40k but in 6 weeks time I hope to be running an extra 20k a week based on the plan

Thanks for all the advice guys, Its really giving me a lot to consider and helping with the motivation. Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Low GI foods like porridge is great.
    Low sugar (no soft drinks, reduce alcohol)
    Eat smaller meals and more often rather than big meals.
    Don't skip breakfast
    Eat less chicken as most chicken is full of crap.
    Lots of greens, salads as you can fill up on those and
    Beetroot which is good for iron and vitamin c
    A bit more protein
    Drink more fluid
    Unprocessed foods
    watch portion sizes
    Fruit in early morning
    If its in a packet then you might want less of them.
    If sugar of some form is in the top 3 ingredients then whatever they call it its still a sweet.
    Eat around your training. If you have a long run then don't starve yourself before and afterwards.
    Eat less carbs, bread,rice,etc. People all seem to eat too much.

If you want to know what your eating. Use myfitnesspal and weigh everything for a week or two.
    Don't be super religious about it and have treats as you are more likely to do it if there is a balance.
    It shouldnt be a diet. It should be a way of life. David Gillicks book is quite good.

bananas can be quite sugary and I would only have one before a hard session. They can make a person constipated.

Most peoples spag bol is a nice mince and a jar of sugar

Look at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/category/healthy and select recipes. Great easy ideas there. Its not really complicated but you need to first know what your eating so a food diary like myfitness pal is ideal.

You can't outrun your mouth. I was running 10-11 hrs a week before and putting on weight no problem while running less now and losing weight.

I do have the 500 mls of choc/protein milk myself but that would be more like after a huge session rather than a normal run. You should need nothing after a normal run. If you are only running 3 times a week and crave sugar post your run then you are running too fast and you need to slow down to a pace that you don't crave the sugar. That may be very very slow. I was there before. I used to have drink lucozade post every run but I got good advise and as a result I lost a few stone. If you want more info on how to do this then PM me. Have no issue in helping someone like I was helped. At the moment for Dublin you probably don't want to change too much but after DCM you could make a change.

Advertisement