Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled a fast one?

Options
  • 08-08-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job today. When I applied for it there were two jobs with the same company: Junior Developer and Desktop support. I applied for both and was called for interview for the Desktop support job but not the developer job. I got the job and it stated on my contract that it was Desktop Support.
    When I started today my manager told me that he was leaving for another job in three weeks and I was being trained to do his job. Another guy was sitting in reception when I arrived and I later found out that his job title is Desktop support. I am a little p****d off because there was no mention in the interviews of my manager leaving. When I was interviewed by him he said my role was to take some of over some of his duties so he could do other stuff and also to support him etc. The head of IT interviewed me also and gave the same impression.
    Because it was a support role I asked for a salary that would be about the norm for this role. However my manager’s title is IT Systems Manager and now that I am going to be in that role in three weeks what I am earning is well below the going rate for that. To be honest I don’t really want that level of responsibility anyway and would probably not have applied for it if I had known that is what I would be doing. The HR manager and the IT head obviously knew that my manager was leaving when I was interviewed. It is extremely unlikely that he decided this on the day I was hired.
    I am quite annoyed and I must meet the HR manager for induction tomorrow?
    What should I say? I am not the most assertive person but I need some clarification. I can’t quit because I don’t have another job to go to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 narwhal

Hi ser_jorah,

My opinion:

I think you should let them know that you applied for the support job and not the developer job, and want clarification on the role you are taking up. That shouldn't appear confrontational. I'm a HR Manager and I think that would be reasonable if someone brought that up with me.

Once they're paying you the salary agreed in the contract, then on paper there's no issue salary-wise. Similarly, once they're providing you with somewhat similar work with no less favourable conditions, there may be no grounds if you complained externally. If the work requires a very different skill set, which I imagine it does, then I would see that as being an issue. Regardless, on a human level I think you should be employed to work in the position you were hired for, with the appropriate salary.

I think you should ask them about it and then bring up the salary. Don't undersell yourself.

Cheers,

narwhal

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Leaving the cak handed approach of this company to one side for a moment, I would look at the positive here, they have obviously seen something in you during the interview that suggested to them that you're capable of taking on this management role.

If it's not something you want fair enough, but you could be moving up the career ladder with this offer. Granted it may not be the type of company you would work for long term but it could help you get some significant management experience and allow you to move to a much better paid management role in a company that treats staff well.

Just something to consider....or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Neames wrote: »
    Leaving the cak handed approach of this company to one side for a moment, I would look at the positive here, they have obviously seen something in you during the interview that suggested to them that you're capable of taking on this management role.

If it's not something you want fair enough, but you could be moving up the career ladder with this offer. Granted it may not be the type of company you would work for long term but it could help you get some significant management experience and allow you to move to a much better paid management role in a company that treats staff well.

Just something to consider....or not.

If they seen that they should have been upfront about what they are doing and paid them accordingly. I agree with the OP. they are pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't think that they have seen something in me during the interview that suggested to them that I am capable of taking on the role. It seems like when they found out the guy above me was leaving that they just couldn't be bothered advertising and interviewing again and decided they would bump me up. I don't want the job but I can't say that to them. They seem a bit half-assed in there anyway. I haven't had an induction yet and the IT manager has only spoken to me a couple of times since I started.
    He said he didn't know the guy above me was leaving when I was interviewed. I am sceptical about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ìf you do end up working in the management role make a list of training you will require and make sure you get it. Especially if you will be required to manage people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement