Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter is coming!

Options
  • 08-08-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Winter is coming !

Starting to think about winter training, need a to make more of an effort to have some sort of structure, heard lots of guys on about base training over the winter months but if i'm only putting in about 5-6 hours per week is base training the way to go or should I continue with more interval based sessions. Worried if I start base training may not get back up to speed again.

Any thoughts???????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

837897 wrote: »
    Winter is coming !

Starting to think about winter training, need a to make more of an effort to have some sort of structure, heard lots of guys on about base training over the winter months but if i'm only putting in about 5-6 hours per week is base training the way to go or should I continue with more interval based sessions. Worried if I start base training may not get back up to speed again.

Any thoughts???????

Sweet spot base has been favoured over traditional base by a lot of guys I know who are stuck for time. Hasn't hindered them in the slightest. Main thing with winter training as with any training is to be consistent and set out some goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I plan on starting a TrainerRoad Base to Specialty program from start/middle of October after 2-3 wks rest after a racing season, did me no harm last Winter when progressing from Sportive rider to A4 racer.
    Indoor training is a love/hate thing so it may not be for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's the 8th of August

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

nee wrote: »
    It's the 8th of August

Winter is coming.....

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

It's the 8th of August

The OP is asking for advice. I'm pretty sure they're aware of the date. These smart arse replies really don't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sarz91 wrote: »
    The OP is asking for advice. I'm pretty sure they're aware of the date. These smart arse replies really don't help anyone.

It's helped me.

I went out for a spin in this fine weather when I read it and stopped researching winter training.

The tone of your response isn't helping anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's a lighthearted thread in a generally lighthearted forum, chill the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

benjamin d wrote: »
    It's a lighthearted thread in a generally lighthearted forum, chill the beans.

Chilled beans? Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Im thinking about winter training too at the moment, not having done any last year :)

Im having a read and a think about this book.

The Cyclist's Training Bible by Joe Friel.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AWE96CW/ref=pd_sim_351_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8QCFEY40HZ9R8GDYPKNX

Ill be making a plan from ideas in that. Its really good practical advice. There is also some advice for people with limited time too in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Chilled beans? Yuck.

Good protein hit for the back pocket, in the winter they will unfortunately be chilled by the time you get to them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I found an acorn in my shorts last night winter is defo here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that sounds extremely euphemistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I just installed a Tacx Neo for my winter training. At the moment I'm using it through a Tacx app on my smartphone trying it out on slope, watts, etc., very responsive to changes in slope. It came with a discount voucher for a smart upgrade for when I decide to use it on the PC. Some of the videos in the Tacx library look appealing, better than looking at the wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

dahat wrote: »
    Winter is coming.....

What winter
    The last one we had was in 2011

But on topic
    Sell your car and take the bike to work
    Doing this myself for the last 3 years 35 kms a day 5 times a week in all type of weather
    Its cheap and healty

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

It's the 8th of August

I kinda liked the smart ass reply made me smile and thank God I wasn't worried about winter training yet. I did however reflect that this was an irresponsible attitude on my part not to be planning for winter in early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What winter
    The last one we had was in 2011

I seen a guy in the Phoenix Park today in full Lidl-Etixx Quick step kit. I mean blue leg and arm warmers and a snood or face scarf. It was about 16 degrees at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I seen a guy in the Phoenix Park today in full Lidl-Etixx Quick step kit. I mean blue leg and arm warmers and a snood or face scarf. It was about 16 degrees at the time.

I think I saw him this morning. Must have no blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Miklos wrote: »
    I think I saw him this morning. Must have no blood.

Or is unwell and didn't want to make it worse but still cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

So training for 2018 in the middle of August? Good luck with that- I admire your commitment in a way, although I would find the psychological effort of all that training with no racing very tiresome. If you are not melted by February then congratulations.
    And also the fact that none of it is likely to help improve your skills for sprinting at the end of A4 is something of greater concern.
    But if you get others in your club to help out then maybe it might bring improvement. I dunno really. 99% of the riders I know will take a break and build up later in winter. People these days do whatever they want I suppose- regardless of decades of wisdom/experience etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

In my case I was planning to start winter training on 1st Nov but prices are good at the moment for trainers so it seemed wise to buy early and do a little trainer practice alongside enjoying being out on the bike in this great weather.

Started to roll the bike down the driveway at around 8:40 this evening to realise I'd have a half hour - 45 minutes with out needing lights. Dark evenings always seem to creep back quickly don't they. So yeah winter is coming it seems :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

JK.BMC wrote: »
    So training for 2018 in the middle of August? Good luck with that- I admire your commitment in a way, although I would find the psychological effort of all that training with no racing very tiresome. If you are not melted by February then congratulations.
    And also the fact that none of it is likely to help improve your skills for sprinting at the end of A4 is something of greater concern.
    But if you get others in your club to help out then maybe it might bring improvement. I dunno really. 99% of the riders I know will take a break and build up later in winter. People these days do whatever they want I suppose- regardless of decades of wisdom/experience etc etc etc

fair play for someone finally pointing it out. by all means start winter training now. be flying in january. and in May be wondering why energy levels and motivation are through the floor.

enjoy the summer/autumn which offer lovely cycling, and worry about winter training in...well...winter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Best winter training?

Cyclocross!

Keep you racing and motivated in the months up to Xmas.. and then the nationals in Jan/Feb

https://fixxcx.wordpress.com/2017-entries/

Yes- cyclocross worked wonders for me in recent years; even if I was fairly average at it, a cross race is worth 10 turbo sessions or as good as any hard long winter spin.

In fact, I feel I'm getting more bemused by the week every time I hear of cyclists training using strava, power apps and other computer gimmicky stuff, especially on the absence of complimentary on- bike and on-road real time training.

In fact, buying a cross bike instead of a power meter would definitely be my preference, especially for riders entering the sport or riding at club/A4 level

• Registered Users Posts: 29 837897

Cheers all for the constructive advice on winter training. Like the sound of the sweet spot base training which i will look into further. Plan is to start winter training late Oct., hence the post title Winter is Coming and not Winter is here. Apologies for bringing up the topic so early in the year just looking to get a plan together. Made the leap from non racer to A2 this year without any real structured training/plan so think a bit of structure will help come next year especially with the limited time Ive got to train/race.

Cheers again for all the advice and even the smart ass reply's which made be laugh at the lunacy of it all.

837897 wrote: »
    Cheers all for the constructive advice on winter training. Like the sound of the sweet spot base training which i will look into further. Plan is to start winter training late Oct., hence the post title Winter is Coming and not Winter is here. Apologies for bringing up the topic so early in the year just looking to get a plan together. Made the leap from non racer to A2 this year without any real structured training/plan so think a bit of structure will help come next year especially with the limited time Ive got to train/race.

Cheers again for all the advice and even the smart ass reply's which made be laugh at the lunacy of it all.

Well done on the progress - hope the training brings further improvement. Enjoy the winter!

Advertisement