Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word docs open in 'read only' mode about a third of the time I open them

Options
  • 08-08-2017 6:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

When this happens, I just close it and the second time I open it, it always opens correctly. So I often have to open the document twice. I looked around the web for a solution to this, but couldn't seem to get a straight answer anywhere. I skimmed through a few very long winded solutions, where I could also see the return commenters say that such didn't work!

I've looked at the properties, where it says that it's not set up to open this way. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Ah come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What are you using to open the files?
    Have you tried a different application?

Is it possible the file was open and you opened it a second time in read-only mode?

What are you using to open the files?
    Have you tried a different application?
    Word. Sometimes I open them with OpenOffice. There's pros and cons to both, but it's easier to open them with word as you don't have to go using right click etc.
    Is it possible the file was open and you opened it a second time in read-only mode?
    No. However they do take quite a while to respond sometimes (old PC) so when I'd keep clicking, 2 would open, but they'd both be read-only. In this case shouldn't one open normally, and the second open as read only?

But it happens regardless of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Besides opening twice which could have the effect you see, you should try to determine if this is happening with specific files.

I understand from the manner of your reply that they do not open in ReadOnly mode when using OpenOffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Version of Office?
    Document type (doc, docx, ?) ?
    Document location (c drive, secondary drive, network share, other?)?
    Document origin ( you author?)
    Answer question in previous post: "does this happen to all/any documents, or specific?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Version of Office?
    Document type (doc, docx, ?) ? I don't know. I think it's 2013
    I don't know
    Document location (c drive, secondary drive, network share, other?)?
    Document origin ( you author?)
    C drive. I'm the author

Type of file: OpenDocument Text (.odt)
    Answer question in previous post: "does this happen to all/any documents, or specific?"
    As far as I'm aware, it seems to happen with all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This tends to happen with files that you download,as a oppose to create yourself. Click on the yellow bar when is shows and follow the instructions.

Advertisement