Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for term Man Utd Boards

Options
  • 08-08-2017 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Lord TSC says I've been warned about using this term before but that is not true. Fairly clear case of moderator who supports Man Utd, who has had a clear vendetta against me for quite some time, being unhappy with my football opinions and finding the pettiest thing to ban me for. All the while he's ignored multiple posts in the same thread that accuse me of trolling, a blatant breach of charter and he's ignored blatant bullying and poster provocation too. How is bullying less an offence than the term Man Utd Boards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As per the chart above, have you tried to resolve this with the mod in question? If not, please do so and if you are unsuccessful please let us know so a CMod can review your appeal. If you have already gone through this step again please let us know so we can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Zaph wrote: »
    As per the chart above, have you tried to resolve this with the mod in question? If not, please do so and if you are unsuccessful please let us know so a CMod can review your appeal. If you have already gone through this step again please let us know so we can move on.

Absolutely pointless given that the mod in question has had both a public and private vendetta against me for over a year. I dont say that lightly either, the mere fact thar he is allowed to moderate my posts is ludicrous, this is a decision that should've been taken by an impartial moderator. The tone, and often the content, of posts I've had to deal with in the last week 100% constitute bullying, I've never lost my temper, I've not personally abused any other poster, I've stuck to purely football posts whilst bullies(!) Go unpunished yet I'm being banned permanently for the term "Man Utd Boards" which I've categorically not been warned about, contrary to what this mod says. It's a crazy decision.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This appeal does not proceed unless you follow the process set out.

Great, the process is currently in progress.

Resolution has not been solved through discussion with the mod in question. Can we please move forward with the process?

• Advertisement

As I understand it your ban has been lifted. What process do you want to move on with?

The moderator says the yellow card will be upheld, that the only reason the ban has been lifted is because it's a new season but that another yellow and I'm banned permanently. I also think there's a larger issue here, that being that half of my cards/infractions have been dished out by the same moderator. Given the context of what was occurring over two threads, with pages of posts that were plain as day poster-baiting at best and downright bullying at worst, the fact that this mod ignored all of those posts (that he'd had to have seen) to pick up on something as innocuous as a phrase like "Man Utd Boards" then to blatantly lie to me by saying that I'd been warned about using the phrase before (I have not) and then to send the PM that he did to me (which, if I'm not allowed to post publicly I'll happily send you on) all adds up to make it fairly clear that I'm being targeted by this moderator who holds a personal grudge against me. The whole point of a moderator on a forum is to uphold the peace and make sure posters abide by the charter, but clearly that is not the case with this moderator when it comes to me. He's made very clear that he wants me permanently banned and if I'm allowed to be the target of bullying without any repercussions for the bullies but I get strung up for something as frivolous as saying "Man Utd Boards" then I think it's inevitable we'll be back here again shortly with the same dispute, the same moderator, the same lame excuses to kick me off the board.

The only issue to be dealt with here is the yellow card, so I'll let the Sports CMods know that you're appealing that. If you have an issue with moderation then please start a thread in Help Desk.

The only issue to be dealt with here is the yellow card, so I'll let the Sports CMods know that you're appealing that. If you have an issue with moderation then please start a thread in Help Desk.

Ok so, I'm going ahead with the yellow card appeal and I'll make my way to help desk.

I've also been banned from posting on the soccer forum, though I can view it. How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's no current ban showing on your account. Can you please explain a little more?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just checked - your access has not been revoked but I've just refreshed it anyway. Can you check if you still cannot post? If so what message are you getting?

All good, I'm able to post again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi AIG, I'll be having a look at this.

Can you explain the purpose of using the term "Man United Boards" and why you feel the need to use it when discussing the club? You don't seem to use similar terms when discussing any of the other clubs with big followings on the forum.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hi AIG, I'll be having a look at this.

Can you explain the purpose of using the term "Man United Boards" and why you feel the need to use it when discussing the club? You don't seem to use similar terms when discussing any of the other clubs with big followings on the forum.

In short it's because I am consistently pestered and followed by a group of 6-8 posters, all of whom support Man Utd. I don't want to have to name out the individual posters each time when referring to this group, equally I don't want to say that it's all Man Utd fans on Boards because that would be untrue and unfair so Man Utd Boards just as a simple catch-all term to refer to this group of posters.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So you made up a name for a specific group of posters you don't like. I don't see why you would do this other than to antagonise the group in question.

From looking at the instances I've seen where you've used the term that looks exactly like what you were doing to my eyes.There's no reason to refer to a group of posters in this way when you can just respond to a post directly.

This constitutes trolling imo so I don't see any reason to rescind the card. If you want to carry the appeal further then an admin can take a look at it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So you made up a name for a specific group of posters you don't like. I don't see why you would do this other than to antagonise the group in question.

From looking at the instances I've seen where you've used the term that looks exactly like what you were doing to my eyes.There's no reason to refer to a group of posters in this way when you can just respond to a post directly.

This constitutes trolling imo so I don't see any reason to rescind the card. If you want to carry the appeal further then an admin can take a look at it.

The shortening of the name is for simplicity. It's literally the equivalent of yellow carding someone for using the abbreviation "AIG" because I have some strange hatred of the insurance company AIG.

Equally what should be of far more concern is that the moderator who issued the yellow card LIED when he said I'd be warned about using the term previously (no warning should mean no yellow card) and managed to miss pages upon pages of posts that ranged from accusing me of being a troll (banned by the charter), poster baiting (banned by the charter) and bullying (banned by the charter) but did pick up on something as innocuous as Man Utd Boards. If needs be I'll refer to this group of posters by their individual usernames each time, but to be yellow carded for something so silly while clear examples of charter breaches are ignored is unbelievable.

Which leads me to my main point of this appeal because since I've returned from my last long term ban it's clear that there's been a change in direction as to how issues regarding myself are moderated. Once and for all I'd like to know does the soccer forum charter apply to me? Because apparently I'm fair game to be called a troll (has been happening for months with no repercussions), posters are free to blatantly bait me into arguments and to try to get a response from me (has been happening for months with nonrepercussions) and posters are allowed to form a gang to follow me around the forum and engage in e-bullying (has been happening for months with no repercussions). Given the focus each of my posts receive from moderators and given that i do occasionally report posts it's impossible that these could've been missed or overlooked and it's plain as day that this is a deliberate directive the soccer mods have in regards to myself. So please tell me, am I just a sitting duck that this gang are free to troll, bait and bully and who will be pulled up for something as stupid as giving the gang an inoffensive and technically correct name or am I a poster like every other poster on the board?

The card has been upheld, so simple question - do you want an admin review or not? All the rest has nothing to do with you receiving the warning and is more relevant to your Help Desk thread.

The card has been upheld, so simple question - do you want an admin review or not? All the rest has nothing to do with you receiving the warning and is more relevant to your Help Desk thread.

Yes on the basis that moderator has a clear agenda against me, ridiculousness of carding someone for as basic a term as Man Utd Boards (if that's the case then I demand everyone that refers to me as AIG be banned as I find it provocative) and that the moderator LIED when he said I'd been warned previously about using the term(how can it be a yellow if there was no warning). The rest is for the Help Desk so.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you have any objection to me reviewing this?

• Advertisement

REMINDER - Only the OP, CMods and admins are permitted to post on this thread unless you have been specifically invited to do so. All other posts and replies quoting those posts will be deleted.

Do you have any objection to me reviewing this?

I don't think I've had many dealings with you. I'm not trying to be difficult, if you're the appointed adjudicator then work away, I've made my argument.

I wouldn't mind, it's an online forum and I realise my opinions can be a bit extreme at times, but when I'm being punished for something as petty as calling a gang of bullies "Man Utd Boards" while they can, and have been free to do, whatever they want for months is clearly wrong. There's an obvious imbalance somewhere in the moderation of the soccer forum when pages of baiting and bullying can go ignored but this phrase is what is deemed unacceptable. Give as good as you get and all that is fine by me, but I get a lot and I'm not allowed to give at all to the point where apparently I'm not even allowed to acknowledge the gang of bullies that hound my every post on this forum.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've taken a few days to look over this.

You seem to be saying that there is a cabal of people who have it in for you, therefore, you should be able to post as you please and not worry about any kind of repercussions for what you post.

That is not the case. Even if there is a cabal of posters who are trying to undermine your posts, that is no reason for you to try and attack the perceived problem by doing your own thing. As you well know, the procedure on this site is to report problematic posts. You don't vigilante.

You have coined a phrase that targets specific individuals here. You will have already known that that's trolling, whether you were warned or not by the moderators, because you're intelligent enough to know that when you target individuals in the SF with your rhetoric, they will be upset by it.

As such, the card stands.

I would like to add that your record in the SF is not looking good. If you want to remain a member of this site, you should start taking steps towards cleaning up your act in the SF. I am going to apply 6 months probation to your account now, which means that if you come to moderator attention within that period, you will find yourself site-banned for a month.

To the help desk we go!

I've taken a few days to look over this.

You seem to be saying that there is a cabal of people who have it in for you, therefore, you should be able to post as you please and not worry about any kind of repercussions for what you post.

That is not the case. Even if there is a cabal of posters who are trying to undermine your posts, that is no reason for you to try and attack the perceived problem by doing your own thing. As you well know, the procedure on this site is to report problematic posts. You don't vigilante.

You have coined a phrase that targets specific individuals here. You will have already known that that's trolling, whether you were warned or not by the moderators, because you're intelligent enough to know that when you target individuals in the SF with your rhetoric, they will be upset by it.

As such, the card stands.

I would like to add that your record in the SF is not looking good. If you want to remain a member of this site, you should start taking steps towards cleaning up your act in the SF. I am going to apply 6 months probation to your account now, which means that if you come to moderator attention within that period, you will find yourself site-banned for a month.

Just to quickly clear up a few things from this. No, I don't think I should be allowed to post as I please. I've never made such a demand. I would however like to be treated like every other poster, namely that the charter be applied to me, just as it should to every other poster, this has clearly not been the case for months now which is tantamount to discrimination. Seeking equality is not seeking privilege.

I've coined a phrase to refer to a gang that clearly harass me on the forum. It is identical to that gang referring to me as AIG. There is no difference.

I have reported clear breaches of charter, nothing is done about these breaches. Why waste my time reporting posts when it is very obvious that trolling, baiting and bullying me is not only allowed, but in many cases encouraged by the moderating team?

Is Man Utd Boards an offensive term? No. Is AIG an offensive abbreviation? No. Without warning how is anybody to know if such nothing phrases are allowed or not? I wonder what word will moderators next decide I'm not allowed to say without telling me and then retrospectively punish me for? Is "hoof" or "wonderful " next off limits?

Come to your attention? I have a team of moderators that follow my every post, that conveniently ignore any breaches of charter against me but that will punish such nonsense as "Man Utd Boards."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Admin decision is final.

You may raise the ancillary issues in you thread in Help Desk.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement