Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance not paying out if car is stolen without 'force or violence'?

Options
  • 08-08-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I've been reading up recently where car thieves are using more sophisticated methods to steal cars - such as using signal amplifiers and pointing them at the door of your house in order to get the car to recognise the keys which are most likely on the hall table. They gain entry to the car, clone a key and they're off, your car is gone and by the time you realise next morning they are long gone.

Either that or the thieves fish for the keys through the letterbox.

I've read anecdotal reports that car insurance companies are refusing to entertain claims of theft in the above cases. As there was no 'force or violence' found, and little evidence to backup claims.

Is this true? Is it something I need to worry about when I change the car - that some scumbag could potentially swipe it and the insurance won't cover me? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Generally it's down to stupidity that claims are repudiated. Things like leaving the keys in the car at a filling station and someone making off with the car.

It would be incredibly difficult for an insurer to repudiate a claim when circumstances like you mention above occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Each insurer has their own terms and conditions relating to theft claims. Often theft caused by keys left in the car is excluded. Theft of car using keys that are fished are usually covered. The sophisticated methods you describe are generally used by organised criminals to steal high end cars - BMWs, Mercs, Audis etc. Usually new cars. An 08 focus will not be stolen using that type of technology. Also a car stolen using that type of technology is generally not recovered. So if your car is stolen, found down the road with no signs of theft or forcible entry and you can't account for your keys, that may be questioned by the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,641 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the car is stolen and never recovered... how will they know what force or violence or tech hacking was used?

If you put a wheel lock on, might slow them down a few seconds and they will have to use force\violence to remove that that even if they hack to gain entry, but again, how will the insurance company know?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If the vehicle is never recovered and you can account for all the keys, you will be paid. If it can be established that you did not use reasonable care and attention with regard to security, you may not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

+1 the previous.

See it this way. Theft is an insured peril. The policyholder bears the onus of proof that an insured peril has operated. Once that burden can be discharged the insurers, as a matter of contract, must furnish their consideration i.e. pay the claim.

However, if insurers are going to plead the operation of an exception or condition they have to prove it applies on the evidence to be able to rely on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    +1 the previous.

See it this way. Theft is an insured peril. The policyholder bears the onus of proof that an insured peril has operated. Once that burden can be discharged the insurers, as a matter of contract, must furnish their consideration i.e. pay the claim.

However, if insurers are going to plead the operation of an exception or condition they have to prove it applies on the evidence to be able to rely on it.

Insurers currently have access to key diagnostic tech that if that key was used to drive 'the stolen car' during the night.
    E.g.
    Customer hands in both keys and says he had both keys all the time this doesn't know car car stolen during the night.

It's been used to prove 'fraud theft claim' vwhen customer had drunken crash and tried cover it up saying car stolen..... more common than u'd think

Advertisement