Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to get upgraded in Aer Lingus?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

A330 to Malaga doesn't have business class though. It's just economy but you can pay extra for a business class seat. So you don't get lounge access, meals etc. that normally come with business class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

There is no trick really, but its very rare

So the rules (yes there actually is an official set of rules for operational upgrade)

* Show up early, be polite, shirt, jacket and proper shoes
    * Have status
    * Get to know the staff, its only a small group of staff who work the check in and lounge (its a single group)

There aren't many people in that department to start

I've been quite successful over the years, even on cheap tickets. Two of us together on separate tickets got the upgrade, other two didn't, purely on status.

EI runs a very busy economy load so there is always a chance

Bid to upgrade has to be confirmed a few days in advance, so if something goes wrong on the day, e.g they put on the HGW -300 with the 4 fewer seats

There is a theory that EI never overbooks, but will book to a certain point that there is a seat for everyone, just some are now in business and sort it out a checkin

There are no official set of rules.. Complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Aer Lingus does have a policy, I've been told this by senior check in staff.

I always travel smart, so proper shoes, ironed shirt, jacket and that is sufficient to get past the requirements

There are no 'senior' check in staff. There are supervisors. And they will rarely be 'checking in'.
    You are referring to 'Suitables'.
    Which is a summer season comment added to someone's PNR/Check in log for Duty Manager to see. Last in line for upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

So the rules (yes there actually is an official set of rules for operational upgrade)

* Show up early, be polite, shirt, jacket and proper shoes

There is a theory that EI never overbooks, but will book to a certain point that there is a seat for everyone, just some are now in business and sort it out a checkin
    That's for staff-based tix (stand-by with flex).

TATL can be overbooked. They've plenty of experience with running the numbers with the required confidence levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just on the note of bidding for upgrades, I flew to Toronto outbound on business and booked the return leg economy. I'll be here for a while (3 months) and the price all in was about €1000. For three bags (75kg), it was only a fraction more expensive than the same trip in economy only. Put in a bid for business on the return and I'll take it if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I forgot about this thread! It turns out my upgrade bid offer of 600euros from Boston to Dublin in late September was accepted. Here is a review of my experience:

The offer:

I got an email from Aer Lingus 3 days before my flight saying the offer was accepted. I checked in online a day before the flight. I couldn't pick seats at this point so this was done on check in.

Check in:

Got there 4 hrs before evening flight and asked the girl about seats. She told me 3K was free so I took it, I was a bit surprised as this was supposed to be one of the best seats in the house. I checked in 2 bags and was on my way to the Lounge.

Lounge:

Its a joint Lounge with JetBlue. Very roomy area with plenty of nooks and crannies to sit, eat and connect up various devices. I took some of the food and sat down to relax. They had a decent selection of cheese, sandwiches, soup, soft drinks, tea and coffee, and wines. It was quite relaxing, the staff were fine and the toilets very clean. They had a board to remind you of boarding.

Boarding and the First Class cabin:

Priority boarding was sweet! First on, no queueing behind dozens of people and getting pushed and shoved whilst trying to use the overhead locker. I took seat 3K and when boarding was complete there were only 2 free seats in Business Class. The people there, to me, seemed like a mix of business men, a few couples who liked to travel in style and an older woman. But its impossible to say for sure what people are doing there, it could be any reason. I did observe though that there certainly isn't a dress code as such. One guy had a tattered tracksuit end and a long beard, another just normal clothes and I was also in normal jeans and T Shirt/cardigan. There was only one person in what would be deemed a business suit.

Seat:

Heaven! Tons of space, loads of legroom and you can adjust the seat in so many ways- forward, back ,sleep position, lumbar support even massage. Very comfortable. You have a storage locker which can take up to 6kg, you have a section to put your books and magazines, there is a bottle of (lukewarm!) water in another section and you have noise cancelling headphones. They also provide a blanket and pillow. You are never in contact with any of another persons seat at any stage of the flight.

Dining:

I took a juice at the start of the flight. I had lovely Italian wine and picked steak for my meal. The food was excellent, very tasty and satisfying plus presented very well with fine glassware and plates, hot towels before the meal and constant top ups from staff. They offered a bacon sandwich plus fruit an hour before landing which was also very tasty. The only thing I noticed is that the drinks offer seemed to be exclusively alcohol or water and I got the feeling that asking for a Coke would nearly be looked down on. I might have been silly and I'm sure they would have given it to me but I didn't see anything except wine on offer for this part.

Entertainment:

A wide choice of movies and tv shows here with great noise cancelling headphones. No complaints.

Toilets:

Again, spotless, No complaints, They give you a nice amenity kit with socks, toothpaste and hand cream products etc.

Staff:

In Business Class, fine. However, the only thing that spoiled the experience for me was...

I got out and stretched around halfway into the flight so to stretch my legs I went to economy. The moment I appeared in the Galley the staff there stopped their conversation dead. Ok I get it, the staff were having a bit of a gossip and it was a quiet part of the flight where it was probably the only chance they got to chat (most passengers were asleep). One guy asked me did I need anything. I said no thanks I'm just stretching the legs. He smiled and said nothing. The other 3 staff members there just stood there and said nothing. It was blatantly obvious that they were just waiting for me to go away so they could chat. I felt so uncomfortable I just moved on, that annoyed me. I wasn't going to stay long anyway just do a few stretches but they made me so uncomfortable I just moved on. That was the only negative part.

Overall, it was well well worth the 600euros and id do it again in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Surely they wont refuse you entry to Business Class if you are wearing trainers and casual clothes, jeans etc?? That seems to be what people here are implying..

I was travelling on an economy staff ticket on Singapore airlines, SIN to LHR. It was 40C in Singapore so I showed up in shorts. Check in staff asked me if I had slacks and shirt to change into, I excitedly asked was I being bumped to business. No, “all staff must dress appropriately in all classes” I pointed out that no one will think the pasty Irish lad is staff, and I was just a contractor, but nope, if I wanted to travel on a staff ticket, I had to wear trousers and shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Danbo! wrote: »
    I was travelling on an economy staff ticket on Singapore airlines, SIN to LHR. It was 40C in Singapore so I showed up in shorts. Check in staff asked me if I had slacks and shirt to change into, I excitedly asked was I being bumped to business. No, “all staff must dress appropriately in all classes” I pointed out that no one will think the pasty Irish lad is staff, and I was just a contractor, but nope, if I wanted to travel on a staff ticket, I had to wear trousers and shirt.

If you pay, you can wear what you want. If you're staff, you have to wear business attire even for economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

McGaggs wrote: »
    If you pay, you can wear what you want. If you're staff, you have to wear business attire even for economy.

I’d travelled on quite a few airlines’ staff tickets up to that point and never heard of it at all. Mostly long haul so would generally show up in shorts, even been upgraded to business on staff ticket while in tshirt and shorts. Suppose Singapore airlines are in a different league to most though.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I think most airlines dont expect business attire from staff anymore..neat and tidy will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One guy asked me did I need anything. I said no thanks I'm just stretching the legs. He smiled and said nothing. The other 3 staff members there just stood there and said nothing. It was blatantly obvious that they were just waiting for me to go away so they could chat. I felt so uncomfortable I just moved on, that annoyed me. I wasn't going to stay long anyway just do a few stretches but they made me so uncomfortable I just moved on. That was the only negative part.

Seriously, what? If you were having a big meal in a restaurant and felt like stretching the legs between courses would you just walk into the kitchen and start doing it there and expect the staff to just ignore you and not think it strange or awkward?

Would you walk into someone's office at work and start doing stretches there?

A bit of respect for the people who are just trying to do their jobs keeping you comfortable but more importantly safe aboard the aircraft would go a long way.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Seriously, what? If you were having a big meal in a restaurant and felt like stretching the legs between courses would you just walk into the kitchen and start doing it there and expect the staff to just ignore you and not think it strange or awkward?

Would you walk into someone's office at work and start doing stretches there?

A bit of respect for the people who are just trying to do their jobs keeping you comfortable but more importantly safe aboard the aircraft would go a long way.

Oh my God are you for real? Did you even read the post? On practically every long flight i have been on there are people who need to stretch their legs a bit to prevent the cramp associated with long hours of sitting from settling in. You dont have a lot of options on a plane and you cant block the aisle so the only other options are the galley or the corridor between toilets.
    I dont know if you are familiar with long haul flights but that area is rife for gatherings of people who want to stretch or just have a chat with staff. I wasnt in the way i was just doing some gentle movements to unknot the muscles and my issue with them was their unfriendliness at my presence. Its not something i have experienced before. Usually the staff understand that passengers are going to be in their area from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Bussywussy wrote:
    I think most airlines dont expect business attire from staff anymore..neat and tidy will do.

Quite the opposite in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Quite the opposite in fact

My company and a former company have a list thats acceptable for staff travel.includes jeans,chinos etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Upgrades to business on a 330EUR bid on a 70EUR economy ticket from Toronto to Dublin recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Bussywussy wrote:
    My company and a former company have a list thats acceptable for staff travel.includes jeans,chinos etc etc

Aer Lingus don't permit jeans on either staff economy or business travel, no runners either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Their policy is no sports or leisure wear, beachwear, ripped jeans, runners or sandals in economy. Smart wear for biz class or on IE duty.

/from the horse's mouth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Having worked as Crew I can tell you we hated galley yoga asshats ! Fair enough we all need to stretch on a long flight but if the crew are actually active in the galley or sitting having their break then find somewhere else. There’s always a space somewhere else to go and do your in flight exercise.
    I used to love shunting away galley yoga do-ers by reorganising all the trolleys in the galley, constantly parking and moving them in the vicinity of the galley stretcher untill they gave up and moved somewhere else.
    Coming to have a nice chat with the crew when they aren’t too busy is always appreciated though.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Having worked as Crew I can tell you we hated galley yoga asshats ! Fair enough we all need to stretch on a long flight but if the crew are actually active in the galley or sitting having their break then find somewhere else. There’s always a space somewhere else to go and do your in flight exercise.

Like where? The wing? What an appalling attitude from a crew member. You try sitting still for 8 or more hours without moving or stretching and then get back to me about being an "asshat".

Like where? The wing? What an appalling attitude from a crew member. You try sitting still for 8 or more hours without moving or stretching and then get back to me about being an "asshat".
    Plenty of space on long haul aircraft. Often there are areas only containing lavatories where you wouldnt be blocking Crew or infringing on their work or rest space .

Frankly if you value space so much pay for an upgrade.

The terms I used are not ones I’ve invented they’re known industry wide ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

I think he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm reminded of a flight I had to LAX one day (with EI) where my seat recline was broken leaving me practically no room. At the time the asinine US rule about no congregating near the lavatories was in full force – and after about a minute of stretching at the back of the aircraft less than two hours out of Dublin I was instructed to return to my seat to comply with security regulations. I tried to explain the situation but the lovely lady wasn't interested in the fact that the seat in front was practically in my face.

That was a long flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »

I'm reminded of a flight I had to LAX one day (with EI) where my seat recline was broken leaving me practically no room. At the time the asinine US rule about no congregating near the lavatories was in full force – and after about a minute of stretching at the back of the aircraft less than two hours out of Dublin I was instructed to return to my seat to comply with security regulations. I tried to explain the situation but the lovely lady wasn't interested in the fact that the seat in front was practically in my face.

That was a long flight.

I think the congragating in the aisles rule is still in place, but walking up the aisle when its clear or allowing others to skip in front of you when waiting for the loo if you feel like standing up for a few minutes is usually the tactic I use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To be fair there is always space on a 330 to stretch the legs in between cabins or near the loos. However the 757 is a different story altogether.

faceman wrote: »
    To be fair there is always space on a 330 to stretch the legs in between cabins or near the loos. However the 757 is a different story altogether.
    There is a fair bit of space around doors 3 on the 757 where the toilets are, there’s a video of the cabin crew having a cèilidh there with some pax playing music, think it’s on youtube!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

What a lazy and ignorant reply.

Frankly if you value your space don’t choose a job that involves sharing tight space with a few hundred people for a long period of time and then complaining about it on the internet!

I should also add that in most long haul economy flights I have been on there is always a congregation of people roughly an hour or so after the meal who come up near the galley to stretch, shoot the breeze with each other and generally get in every single persons way who wants to use the toilet. In my experience its always men in their 30s/40s who are usually giddy about the stag/golfing holiday ahead and feel the need to tell the staff.
    They aren't bad as such just a tad annoying and the staff are usually busy at this stage with the waste disposal, getting drinks etc but they just have to grin and bear it and pretend they are interested in some random guys opinion on New York or the weather back home. That is much more annoying that somebody who needs to stretch for 5 minutes at a quite part of the flight!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How much do you guys have to stretch? There is an aisle like?

Advertisement