Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alfonso Microscopic Mushroom

Amazed Campion got two goals tonight - A parade on Patrick street for him tomorrow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It would appear there is very little difference between the 1st division and non league.
    It would also appear that the difference between the premier division and 1st division has never been so great.

Limerick pissed up last year in the 1st division, got off to a flyer against Sligo but needed that win badly last week to steady the ship. Drogheda also promoted but after winning their first two matches have struggled a bit since.

Longford only 1st division team in the next round.

IMO The FAI must take some of the blame for this. Only clubs with decent turnover have any chance of improving. It's a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

joeysoap wrote: »
    It would appear there is very little difference between the 1st division and non league.
    It would also appear that the difference between the premier division and 1st division has never been so great.

Limerick pissed up last year in the 1st division, got off to a flyer against Sligo but needed that win badly last week to steady the ship. Drogheda also promoted but after winning their first two matches have struggled a bit since.

Longford only 1st division team in the next round.

IMO The FAI must take some of the blame for this. Only clubs with decent turnover have any chance of improving. It's a vicious circle.

The difference is no surprise. Just look at the age profile of players playing in the First Division. Why would you honestly be arsed once past college age? People 23+ are bonkers to sacrifice a job/career to be travelling up and down the country on a Friday. Makes much more sense for a lot to play at the top amateur level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In one off games maybe. But a season long campaign is an entirely different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dfx- wrote: »
    In one off games maybe. But a season long campaign is an entirely different story.

Yeh, some of the FD sides would be left way behind over a season! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

DUNDALK 3-1 CRUMLIN Dundalk move on to next round job done .

When is the cup draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Crumlin 1-3 Dundalk
    Limerick 1-0 Finn Harps

Wins for Dundalk and Limerick today. Leaves the last eight looking like this

Bluebell United
    Cork City
    Galway United
    Shamrock Rovers
    Drogheda United
    Longford Town
    Dundalk
    Limerick FC

Draw on Soccer Republic on Monday night at the new time of 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hoping Dundalk get Cork in the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Maybe they'll conveniently manage to avoid each other all the way to the final. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Have mixed feelings. I think playing Cork now in their current run of form would give Dundalk a better chance of winning the cup but would also lower the chance of getting to the final as Cork are still a quality side that could very easily beat Dundalk.

A cup final would bring in a few quid which would help with the title push next season. So maybe Bluebell at home

Anyone know the attendance at the Crumlin match yesterday? From photos a few hundred at max? Unlucky with the Croke Park match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

To be honest, most of the decent players in the top half of the LSL Senior would slot into a 1st Divsion easily - why though play for a 1st Div side for €50 a week having to travel a lot when you'll get the same pay and have minimal travel?
    Anyone know the attendance at the Crumlin match yesterday? From photos a few hundred at max? Unlucky with the Croke Park match.

I'd say around 300. 100 or so Dundalk on the "away side" and a few scattered around by the club house.

Was a good game, Dundalk got lucky making it to half time being 2-1 up. Second half Crumlin started brighter and could have levelled early on. Dundalk were fairly poor for the 85 mins and only got really going in the last 5+ minutes.

Maybe they'll conveniently manage to avoid each other all the way to the final. Again.

Dodged the bullet this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Surprise Surprise all the remaining big sides avoid each other!!

• Advertisement

Jaysus they couldn't make it look more like a fix if they tried..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Draw

Longford Town v Cork City
    Bluebell United v Shamrock Rovers
    Galway United v Limerick
    Dundalk v Drogeda United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Do people actually think it's a fix? Like....genuinely?

No

(Or they discriminated against Derry :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

No,

I'd say it was fixed if Cork drew Limerick and Galway drew Longford then logistically it was perfect :)

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    No,

I'd say it was fixed if Cork drew Limerick and Galway drew Longford then logistically it was perfect :)
    Cork have the league wrapped up, no harm for them to have to travel up the country.

It's only a couple of years since they showed the results of a cup draw before the draw took place. The only thing that makes me think they don't fix the draws, is that it would involve the FAI actually giving a **** about football in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Cork have the league wrapped up, no harm for them to have to travel up the country.

It's only a couple of years since they showed the results of a cup draw before the draw took place. The only thing that makes me think they don't fix the draws, is that it would involve the FAI actually giving a **** about football in the country.

it's only a couple of weeks since it last happened - the showed the Shels/Rovers draw during the Soccer Republic commercial break before the draw :D

Quite surprised how the home/away draws (nearly) evened themselves out this year

Last round - City, Limerick Drogheda at home, this round all away

Last round- Galway, Dundalk , Longford all away , this round all home

Bluebell and Rovers the odd ones out

Much the same last time as well, most of the teams at home had an away match in the first round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If any bookie offered it I'd bet money Cork and Dundalk won't meet in the semifinals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Corholio wrote: »
    Do people actually think it's a fix? Like....genuinely?

It's the FAI. Of course it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Not too bad a draw, could have been much worse. I think I'll take a trip up there as it's a Saturday. Fully expect to win this one by two or three goals.

Then bring on Bluebell or Drogheda in the semis ;)

Going back to 1997 - ( far enough to say it's not fixed)

Shels, City, Bray, Shels, Bohs, Dundalk, Derry, Longford, Longford, Drogheda, Derry, City, Bohs,Fingal,Sligo, Sligo, Derry, Sligo, Pats,Dundalk and City, (21 as there was 2 cups in 2002)

( If it was fixed there might be a different Rovers in there :))

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I'd say the FAI would love Rovers to get the final as they'd bring one of the biggest crowds.
    I love to see Rovers and Cork in a packed Aviva.

Just after half time in three of the four quarter finals with the fourth Longford vs Cork taking place tomorrow evening.
    Currently Dundalk are cruising into the semi finals being 3 up against Drogheda. Shamrock Rovers had a bit of scare against Bluebell after Bluebell equalized after Shams went 1 up but Rovers are currently leading 3-1. Finally Limerick are leading 1-0 in Galway.

Full time in the three quarter finals.

Bluebell United 2-4 Shamrock Rovers
    Dundalk 4-0 Drogheda United
    Galway 1-2 Limerick

Comfortable win for Dundalk. Shams had a few problems against Bluebell but a Miele hattrick is enough for them to get to the semi finals. Good win for Limerick after their sloppy recent form. Longford Town vs Cork City is the final quarter final on tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Not too bad a draw, could have been much worse. I think I'll take a trip up there as it's a Saturday. Fully expect to win this one by two or three goals.

Then bring on Bluebell or Drogheda in the semis ;)

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I'd say the FAI would love Rovers to get the final as they'd bring one of the biggest crowds.
    I love to see Rovers and Cork in a packed Aviva.

I personally hope we beat them in the semi final because if we play them in the Aviva, it's a receipe for disaster

More comfortable than the scoreline might suggest for Rovers. Bluebell much much better than Glenville.

Don't want Limerick away...

Cork defeat Longford 4-1 tonight to complete the Semi Final line up.

Cork City
    Shamrock Rovers
    Dundalk FC
    Limerick FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seen a picture from Dundalk -v- Drogs with what looked to be no more than 40 fans in the away terrace - surely that was taken when they were 4-0 down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When is the draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

When is the draw?

On Soccer Republic RTE2 between 7pm and 8pm this evening.

Seen a picture from Dundalk -v- Drogs with what looked to be no more than 40 fans in the away terrace - surely that was taken when they were 4-0 down?

Decent attendance (2493) but maybe not as many Drogs fans as in previous occasions. Was more than 40 though.

dfx- wrote: »
    More comfortable than the scoreline might suggest for Rovers. Bluebell much much better than Glenville.

Don't want Limerick away...

Ok, it's not Limerick away.

• Advertisement

Semi Final draw. Matches to take place on the 30th September and the 1st of October.

Cork City vs Limerick FC
    Dundalk FC vs Shamrock Rovers

Home draw for both Cork and Dundalk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

the Dundalk / Hoops semi final is on a Sunday. At 4.45. You couldn't make it up.

Just the best draw possible for City, and thankfully the game is played two days before I'm due to fly out of Cork!

When I heard the draw on Soccer Republic and she said the games will be played on 29th Sept and 1st Oct, I dreaded having to tell my daughter that I'd miss her wedding due to a semi-final :D

Can't see City slipping up, despite the dip in form recently. I'd say Dundalk would be favourites in their semi too, although I'd nearly prefer Rovers in the final as I'm sick of playing Dundalk at the Aviva at this stage. Nah, scrub that, I prefer the Dundalk crowd to the Rovers crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

the Dundalk / Hoops semi final is on a Sunday. At 4.45. You couldn't make it up.

RTE choice! Gardai will be delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Why?

• Advertisement

justshane wrote: »
    Why?

I'd say they might be a little bit worried that the "lads" will be on the lash for the day?

isn't there usually one of the semifinals on the saturday or sunday late afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

City v Limerick tonight at 7.15pm on RTE2. Im expecting a big performance from Cork City following on from Monday and last Fridays disaster up in Limerick.

CHealy wrote: »
    City v Limerick tonight at 7.15pm on RTE2. Im expecting a big performance from Cork City following on from Monday and last Fridays disaster up in Limerick.

Would be nice to give them a bit of payback too. I think this should be an easy enough win for City - surely Limerick won't be as lucky again as they were last Friday? Also, their minds should be concentrating on the league.

I'd say they'll bring a decent crowd with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Am I right in thinking that if Limerick manage to beat Cork again tonight that they get the 4th European spot as Dundalk and Rovers could qualify for Europe through the league?

• Advertisement
Advertisement