Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 2017

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lovely finish from the Frenchman, given all the time in the world due to some awful defending by massey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Dundalk defending for their lives these last few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Some great pens from both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The only poor penalty was punished thusly. Great game, especially in ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Sadlier the man you want on that last penalty. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Delighted for Cork City.

McNulty spoke well at the end. Some few weeks for him after 17 years at the club, and to make the crucial save too.

It's a rivalry that will go down in Irish football history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'm very very disappointed. Thought we were by far the better team today but didn't do enough to win it so it's hard to have many complaints. Cork the best team in the country over the season so the double probably deserved. Enjoy the night langers, we'll be back next season!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Vemmelund cost Dundalk in the end. Poor defending he isn't as good as ghe thinks he is lives off his Rosenberg performance a bit.

Connolly was awful for Dundalk while Sadlier looked dangerous & Campion finally done something good in a Cork shirt.

Good game overall. Griffin & Sheppard were good for Cork as were Duffy & McEleney for Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Really glad Vemmelund didn't sign for Rovers... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alfonso Microscopic Mushroom

Cork fans have been complaining about Campion all season!

He’s missed open goals. He came up when it mattered most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Not a classic but decent game, tight and very competitive, congrats to both Cork City teams on winning today. Crowd 24,210 down on last year which is not surprising considering lack of marketing from FAI, difficulty in buying tickets from Ticketmaster and low profile build up in media.
    Match programme at €5 was a very poor effort, no player numbers a basic requirement from a programme!!!, no player profiles and the map of Ireland with the club crests had Dundalks crest where Drogheda is and vice versa, you couldnt make it up. The FAI and their associates really dont care about/have no passion or vision for the League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dundalk didn't do enough when they led. They let Cork have the ball and come at them. Gartland having to come off was a bad blow. Not a great tactical game from Kenny today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88,013 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well done to both Cork City teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thought Hoare was fine for Gartland but Connolly for McGrath was a disaster, would have thought Shields a better bet than a match stale Mountney, however that's by the way. McEleney going off was a major factor but thought Dundalk sat back too much at that stage. It was a perfect run from Campion and Massey was slow to move up

City looked sharper and probably should have scored earlier. But a good match, that's three years in a row these two have gone to extratime, it's that close. Disappointing attendance.

Congrats City on your double, been a great year for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

May hinter United and Chelsea fans who want to see the match live but Match of the Day highlights there for those who want to go to the Cup Final.

I hope last years attendance of 26,400 is bettered today, it would be fantastic to see a crowd north of 30,000. That will depend on 'the best fans in the world' in the greater Dublin area making a call this morning to head to the Cup Final, great value at a €10.

What was the final attendance in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭cms88

Am i the only one who finds it hard to be happy for Cork? I find a lot of of their fans, and even management and players, to be very classless when it comes to both winning and losing. I'm actually not sure what their worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'm very very disappointed. Thought we were by far the better team today but didn't do enough to win it so it's hard to have many complaints. Cork the best team in the country over the season so the double probably deserved. Enjoy the night langers, we'll be back next season!!!!

Really ? I didn't see that at all.

Both teams had 15/20 minutes of being on top in normal time and the rest was very very even, locked in midfield and both had just 2 or 3 half chances. Cork had the best chance in the 90 mins right at the death.

Dundalk probably shaded ET up until Campion's goal, but Cork finished much stronger.

There is nothing between these 2 great teams and congratulations to Cork City on a fantastic double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

eire4 wrote: »
    What was the final attendance in the end?

Not a classic but decent game, tight and very competitive, congrats to both Cork City teams on winning today. Crowd 24,210 down on last year which is not surprising considering lack of marketing......
    Match programme at €5 was a very poor effort, no player numbers a basic requirement from a programme!!!, no player profiles and the map of Ireland with the club crests had Dundalks crest where Drogheda is and vice versa, you couldnt make it up. The FAI and their associates really dont care about/have no passion or vision for the League of Ireland.

Match programme was poor alright, Dundalk and Drogheda reversed as were most of the Dublin clubs. And before anyone says it was only 'indicative', how hard would it be to get it right. I thought the missing squad numbers poor and I can't recall the stadium announcer calling out the subs at any stage. The attendance was disappointing, I thought more from Dundalk than Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

cms88 wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds it hard to be happy for Cork? I find a lot of of their fans, and even management and players, to be very classless when it comes to both winning and losing. I'm actually not sure what their worse

I wouldn't be happy to see any of my rivals have any success but only because they're rivals. I don't think you can condemn an entire club from a few comments of an eejit in a bar and a couple of fans on here. Any Cork fans I've met in the flesh over the past few seasons of our rivalry have been bang on, win or lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The whole of Cork will be devastated to hear your news

doncarlos wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy to see any of my rivals have any success but only because they're rivals. I don't think you can condemn an entire club from a few comments of an eejit in a bar and a couple of fans on here. Any Cork fans I've met in the flesh over the past few seasons of our rivalry have been bang on, win or lose.

We met a few after the match and while they were (naturally) in high spirits you could not but enjoy their company. And they wished us well for next season before we went our separate ways.

Dundalk fc acknowledging the City supporters applause in the 29th minute.

We must comment on the amazing tributes to Robert McLoughlin. The applause in the 29th minute for Robert will live long in the memory and was a fitting tribute to a man who meant so much to his family and friends. We would like to recognise the Cork City supporters who also joined in the tribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

eigrod wrote: »

Thanks. Disappointing figure that and probably down to the piss poor job the FAI did in promoting the showpiece game of the League of Ireland season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thanks. Disappointing figure that and probably down to the piss poor job the FAI did in promoting the showpiece game of the League of Ireland season.

The FAI did nothing to promote that game. Disgrace. I brought my father to it and he absolutely loved it. He's not a massive fan of football but he thought McEleney was really skilful and rated Conor McCormack highly too. A cracking atmosphere, a drama filled game and a fantastic rivalry... an absolute steal for 10euro. They should've promotord the hell out of that price.

We'll be back next year for sure, a new tradition maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭cms88

The whole of Cork will be devastated to hear your news

I supposed they're more worried about gloating that they beat Dundalk rather than celebrating the fact they won the double, much like last year after the FAI Cup

I supposed they're more worried about gloating that they beat Dundalk rather than celebrating the fact they won the double, much like last year after the FAI Cup

Ironic that you suggest they are missing the point...because you seem more focused about your take on the reaction of Cork City's fans, rather than praising the remarkable achievement of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Agree, 24,210 a disappointing crowd, was there anybody in the FAI given responsibility for marketing the Final? I doubt it, they just dont care enough.

Well done to RTE covering the homecoming of the two Cork City Cup winning Teams

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1106/917950-cork-boss-enjoys-homecoming-before-thoughts/

Advertisement