Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was told I was first this morning to do it since they didn't get to me yesterday. Went in and did it then came home again. Think it went ok but eh, will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

The maths mock DEB paper is ridiculously hard. I don’t get why they make it so different to the actual LC because it honestly freaks out so many students and disheartens them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

jeonahr wrote: »
    The maths mock DEB paper is ridiculously hard. I don’t get why they make it so different to the actual LC because it honestly freaks out so many students and disheartens them.

I remember doing the Maths DEB mock paper for JC as an "extra mock" in class because miss was not happy with our results at the time and some of those questions were flat out stupid if I'm honest.

I have Maths Thursday but I think it's Examcraft.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I remember doing the Maths DEB mock paper for JC as an "extra mock" in class because miss was not happy with our results at the time and some of those questions were flat out stupid if I'm honest.

I have Maths Thursday but I think it's Examcraft.

Maths was difficult enough, jeez. Sick of Maths after today. Thank god I don't have it for another 2 weeks and a long weekend now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

How you all doing? I've 6 Mocks down, 2 to go. Weekend can't come soon enough. Doing well enough... Will see what results say. When do these results normally come back to us, anyone know? Good luck to any Hpat people. I ruled out med completely which is probably no harm considering I dislike Chemistry so much! It was a fair enough mock exam though. But still can't see me counting it, may devote more attention to applied maths depending on how I go. In saying all that I feel lucky that out of 8, the other 7 are grand. My CAO is very mathsy but still not 100% on my 1st preference, flip flopping between actuarial/maths/maths with education/finance/accounting... grateful for change of mind later this year.

• Advertisement

Irish oral finished and German orals Friday. Mocks not starting until Tuesday after mid term so still stressing out here and all over midterm :(

How you all doing? I've 6 Mocks down, 2 to go. Weekend can't come soon enough. Doing well enough... Will see what results say. When do these results normally come back to us, anyone know? Good luck to any Hpat people. I ruled out med completely which is probably no harm considering I dislike Chemistry so much! It was a fair enough mock exam though. But still can't see me counting it, may devote more attention to applied maths depending on how I go. In saying all that I feel lucky that out of 8, the other 7 are grand. My CAO is very mathsy but still not 100% on my 1st preference, flip flopping between actuarial/maths/maths with education/finance/accounting... grateful for change of mind later this year.

My last paper is accounting tomorrow. Then back to studying for the hpat. I’ve been focusing too much time on the mocks and now am starting to worry about the hpat although I did focus on hpat during the two week Christmas break every day and til the mocks. I only started “studying for the mocks” the weekend before they started. I’m not worried honestly. The mocks don’t mean much and you know yourself if you weren’t doing your best or studying etc.

*sigh* school just announced a half day tomorrow due to sporting achievements etc and because midterm is coming. I have to stay back till half two for my german oral though :(. Oh well, some people have to stay back till 4:45 so not too bad!

Well thank god my mocks are over now.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well thank god my mocks are over now.

Lucky! Have to stress out over mine all during midterm :(

How'd they go for you? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

One exam left... English papers 1 pass. English is really not my forte and deceided to take pass like an hour before the other paper. Didn't go great let's hope this goes better, I highly doubt it will though

Lucky! Have to stress out over mine all during midterm :(

How'd they go for you? :)

English was fine. One of the topics on paper 1 was related to weather (handy) :p . Think I've said enough about Maths :rolleyes: . Business was ok. Geography was grand, only parts I didn't get were those that I missed out on in class and even if I were to know I wouldn't find them that difficult. Music was ridiculous with some silly questions like "Define the term rhapsody" like what :pac: . French comprehensions were some of the more difficult I've had but the written section was ok (not for my classmates though as they did not prepare the extra study that I did for it). French oral was fine.

Overall, not a terrible set of mocks but Maths and Music really grinded my gears. Ordinary Maths too..... for a person who was able to do higher Maths (just didn't have the attendance to keep up with the length of the course).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

2 exams left out of 8. I was meant to have finished on Tuesday but unfortunately my Grandad passed away at the weekend. It’s a tough time doing exams while grieving but the teachers are being nice about it. However they got some of my exams mixed up. For example I came back in today and I ended up doing completely the wrong History paper! We were told not to study certain topics and the paper I did had all of those topics. I just can’t wait for midterm to take a step back and relax. My brain is melting

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Just 1 left here, Accounting. Then it's sleepy time. I find the Mocks useful as at least they have a study focus without which I might just drift... Imagine, just one more set and we're done.

Gotta say, really jealous about all of you being basically finished haha.

It is crazy that there is only one more set of these exams after the pre's... the LC! Crazy! Times flying!

Accounting was horrifying lol. I probably did worse in it than maths. Everything else was fine. Maths was predictably bad so it wasn’t shocking. Chemistry went wonderfully. Irish and English were similar enough to past papers but a few bits were hard. Biology was hard enough and had very specific questions. German was challenging. All in all I’m glad to say it’s over.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Gotta say, really jealous about all of you being basically finished haha.

It is crazy that there is only one more set of these exams after the pre's... the LC! Crazy! Times flying!

Ye I know the year flew, lol remember saying I'll start studying after Christmas at the start of the year... That definitely didn't happen

Well, I'm happy with my mock exam results, no fails. I'm surprised with Maths at 51% given what the exam was like! I was the only one who passed it in my class.

Didn't go in today, took it off to study. Exams start tomorrow with English and economics. God help me

First two pre exams done! English P1 and Economics. Hand is dead and have a bit of a headache after so gonna relax for a small bit before maths paper 1 tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

First two pre exams done! English P1 and Economics. Hand is dead and have a bit of a headache after so gonna relax for a small bit before maths paper 1 tomorrow.

Hope it goes well for you, it's kinda weird because my school is done with the mocks, so I'm settled back in to the daily routine!

best of luck:)

Getting results back. I’m disappointed but they’re not surprising. I didn’t study much in the lead up to mocks because I focused so much on hpat and I’m kind of regretting it. Some of my teachers are disappointed.
    Maths - H6
    English - H3
    Chemistry - H3
    Biology - H4

I’ve got to say that the biology marking scheme was really weird. Almost as if the corrector only took answers that were mentioned as examples on the marking scheme, despite other answers being allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Getting results back. I’m disappointed but they’re not surprising. I didn’t study much in the lead up to mocks because I focused so much on hpat and I’m kind of regretting it. Some of my teachers are disappointed.
    Maths - H6
    English - H3
    Chemistry - H3
    Biology - H4

I’ve got to say that the biology marking scheme was really weird. Almost as if the corrector only took answers that were mentioned as examples on the marking scheme, despite other answers being allowed.

Did you have the biology mock with the lacteal as Q1 or food? I had the one with food the other day, just wanna know if I had the one that was marked hard lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

G

On the real thing they sometimes insist on exactly what is in the marking scheme too, even though the candidate clearly has the right answer and knows what they are talking about.

And finished! Now to let my right hand rest for like, a week!

spurious wrote: »
    On the real thing they sometimes insist on exactly what is in the marking scheme too, even though the candidate clearly has the right answer and knows what they are talking about.

Our teacher showed us the marking scheme. For questions with multiple possible answers the marking scheme said to allow other appropriate answers. The corrector only accepted the one example that was given. Surely something like that won’t happen in the real thing?

There are other examples as well where definitions were answered word for word from the book but still weren’t accepted. Surely the SEC would have to re-adjust the marking scheme, right? I read that a girl got the SEC to change the marking scheme last year to accept a certain chemistry definition which ended up bumping up 11 other people’s grades in chemistry despite them not applying to get them re-checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Just a question on English. You know for the section B's for the text on paper 1 HL, you are usually asked to write about things like experiences from your childhood and school and stuff like that, well I was just wondering can they be fictional? i.e. I'm looking at a question now to write about my second level education system, am I allowed to write about mabye growing up in another country and talk about their education system to make it more unique? i.e. mabye going to school in North Korea/ aphganistan or something as an example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our teacher showed us the marking scheme. For questions with multiple possible answers the marking scheme said to allow other appropriate answers. The corrector only accepted the one example that was given. Surely something like that won’t happen in the real thing?

There are other examples as well where definitions were answered word for word from the book but still weren’t accepted. Surely the SEC would have to re-adjust the marking scheme, right? I read that a girl got the SEC to change the marking scheme last year to accept a certain chemistry definition which ended up bumping up 11 other people’s grades in chemistry despite them not applying to get them re-checked.

Where the marking scheme says 'accept other appropriate answers' it won't happen, but where on a review during the marking, the Chief Examiner has decided ONLY a specific definition, or a particular buzzword will be accepted, then that's it.
    Believe me, the people correcting the paper have big issues with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Just a question on English. You know for the section B's for the text on paper 1 HL, you are usually asked to write about things like experiences from your childhood and school and stuff like that, well I was just wondering can they be fictional? i.e. I'm looking at a question now to write about my second level education system, am I allowed to write about mabye growing up in another country and talk about their education system to make it more unique? i.e. mabye going to school in North Korea/ aphganistan or something as an example.
    No examiner will know (or care) whether the experiences you discuss are real or fictional, they're primarily marking your ability to write English.

That said, I would suggest not going TOO over the top, unless you have some knowledge of what you're talking about you'll probably put more energy into making it up than in how you're actually writing it! :D

• Advertisement

Irish Orals done and dusted. Actually can't really believe it tbh. Studying for basically 13 years for this oral and within 15 minutes its done and the pressure of that part is gone :D Think mine went pretty well besides my sraith which was iffy but everything else was pretty good! One more oral to go next Friday and thats all the orals done!

Advertisement