Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Meanwhile, I have both my French oral and Music practical next Wednesday! Not looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

My Irish oral couldn’t have went better. Really happy with how it went. Didn’t sleep a wink the night before though. :p

Hopefully French goes the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

I got the hardest Q's out of my year in Irish (What would I do if Taoiseach, Brexit, Drinking, etc). I was well able to handle them though so I'm not that worried. Should I take this as a sign that they thought my level of Irish was above average?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I have both my French oral and Music practical next Wednesday! Not looking forward to that.

Just want tomorrow done and over with now, then it's only my written exams in June left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ive gotta wait till Friday for my oral :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Finished both orals now. I have to say I’m completely disappointed with how the German oral went. I accidentally brought my phone in so I had to tell her just after saying hello, ran out, ran back in and was in a state. I could hardly breathe. She gave me 30 seconds to collect myself but I was already panicking in my head. It set me off. She kept switching topics in the general conversation and I hardly got to speak. It was ended pretty quickly as well. I got a picture story and messed up on one of the sections but the role play wasn’t too bad. I feel like I’ve done worse than in the mocks and I was really hoping to jump from a H2 to a H1. Now I’m going to need an almost perfect paper and aural and I’m just overall upset.

jeonahr wrote: »
    Finished both orals now. I have to say I’m completely disappointed with how the German oral went. I accidentally brought my phone in so I had to tell her just after saying hello, ran out, ran back in and was in a state. I could hardly breathe. She gave me 30 seconds to collect myself but I was already panicking in my head. It set me off. She kept switching topics in the general conversation and I hardly got to speak. It was ended pretty quickly as well. I got a picture story and messed up on one of the sections but the role play wasn’t too bad. I feel like I’ve done worse than in the mocks and I was really hoping to jump from a H2 to a H1. Now I’m going to need an almost perfect paper and aural and I’m just overall upset.

Sorry to hear that jeon, the examiners that stop you talking to ask questions really bug me, had a few friends in other schools tell me that theirs did this too.

I was lucky with Irish and have my german one tomorrow :( Know the pictures well (besides prep for questions at the end) and my allgemeinefragen is all laid out, role plays are my weakest point really. Dreading it!

You'd be surprised at the marks, my pre I really messed up my conversation and role play but still got high marks in it in other areas that I hadn't noticed until I got the report card back.

Well my French was just over half an hour delayed because the examiner came 45 minutes late from her time she said she'd be in the school. This resulted in a lot of stress and given the fact the teacher was left calling her with no response. The oral itself went ok anyway.

I slipped on a few notes due to nerves for Music on the solo pieces but I feel it went ok too.

Really did not like the idea of both exams being on the same day but no use worrying about it now that it's over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry to hear that jeon, the examiners that stop you talking to ask questions really bug me, had a few friends in other schools tell me that theirs did this too.

They do that to stop people just parroting learned off answers. They want to assess can you communicate in the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Well my German went really, really well, much better than the Mocks. Irish went very well, felt mock was better though, got 89% in that. She also did keep interrupting me in the Irish but I wasn't deterred and kept talking...and answered everything, nothing nasty... was told its a good sign as they're checking your competency. Don't think I'm a parrot! Hope she didn't think it was learned off and was only checking. Who knows. Happy they're over. Well done all + good luck for anyone else waiting.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 AlPorter

shortgirl0 wrote: »
    I got the hardest Q's out of my year in Irish (What would I do if Taoiseach, Brexit, Drinking, etc). I was well able to handle them though so I'm not that worried. Should I take this as a sign that they thought my level of Irish was above average?

I wouldn't actually say it directly means that, but it's certainly a good thing if you handled it well. A good sign would be that you were only asked a few questions, meaning you kept talking and didn't awkwardly pause waiting for them to move you on. If they immediately started you off with hard questions then maybe they were just testing the boundaries based on what they picked up from the poem/introduction.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 AlPorter

Well my German went really, really well, much better than the Mocks. Irish went very well, felt mock was better though, got 89% in that. She also did keep interrupting me in the Irish but I wasn't deterred and kept talking...and answered everything, nothing nasty... was told its a good sign as they're checking your competency. Don't think I'm a parrot! Hope she didn't think it was learned off and was only checking. Who knows. Happy they're over. Well done all + good luck for anyone else waiting.

If they interrupt you, it's a good thing, but I hope you allowed them interrupt you.
    Can be a giveaway sign that something is learned off if the examiner interrupts you with a question and you just point blank ignore them, or keep talking about the same thing and hoping it will answer it.

My German went.. ok.
    Conversation started well and was able to talk about my areas and school and family and stuff, then she heard me say I have sister's and asked me about shopping and I said no but I do like music but she brought it back to shopping and then asked me about clothes I like, where I like to shop and pocketmoney which I didn't do great in. Same for when she asked me about over Easter , said I was going away and she mentioned shopping again.

Pictures went great besides one or two or the questions and I did very good in the roleplay. So I'm not sure really. Some sections of conversation didn't go well at all with a few pauses because I had no idea what to say.

Hi, am doing 8 HL subjects but don't do well and really don't need and don't enjoy Chemistry. If I don't do the exam at all on the day of actual LC, will it show on my final LC script as a fail or just not appear entirely? At the moment, it's just distracting me... Had to pick it as my 7th subject is Applied Maths but as its considered an extra subject in my school, it didn't count so had to pick the 8th. Considering using that exam day for studying other subjects I will be counting and have pretty much ignored it anyway since the Mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesMcClean

Hi, am doing 8 HL subjects but don't do well and really don't need and don't enjoy Chemistry. If I don't do the exam at all on the day of actual LC, will it show on my final LC script as a fail or just not appear entirely? At the moment, it's just distracting me... Had to pick it as my 7th subject is Applied Maths but as its considered an extra subject in my school, it didn't count so had to pick the 8th. Considering using that exam day for studying other subjects I will be counting and have pretty much ignored it anyway since the Mocks.

Isn't this the off-topic thread?

Anyway, what results are you currently getting in Chemistry? If you're getting a pass result, then you might as well take the test, if not doing any study, it's at the very least helpful.

Who cares if it shows as a fail on your report anyway? All you count is your first 6 subjects. If it hurts your ego to see a fail on your report, then that's down to you, it really shouldn't matter as your best 6 will be selected, and a passing result in Chemistry is useful. I'm only saying this because I believe you insinuated that you just did the mocks, and are about to do the leaving cert in a few weeks? If that's the case, it's way too late to be dropping subjects. It's not a good or a bad thing so don't worry, it just means you're able to take that test, because you've just spend all of the last 2 years studying it, so it'd be a waste to not do anything. If however, you are failing really bad right now, then sure. Assuming everything else is fine then dropping it might alleviate some stress and open up some time in your timetable to study applied maths, assuming the school allow you not go to that class, and even if they don't - If you're not taking the test then just don't go to that class. You've only a few weeks left, I doubt they'll mind.

Don't worry, as long as there is nothing else already submitted for the subject it won't appear on your list of results as there will be no info regarding it.
    Chemistry will not appear, but for example, Irish would (as orals have been done) likewise History or Geography (Research Report and Field Study).

If you are in school, go to classes. I would not advise anyone to start skipping off in the middle of the day and making the staff look for them.

This time of year there are always schools who over-react and ban people from sitting the exam in their centre, which they are entitled to do, as they just provide the SEC with facilities. It is not worth messing around.

spurious wrote: »
    Don't worry, as long as there is nothing else already submitted for the subject it won't appear on your list of results as there will be no info regarding it.
    Chemistry will not appear, but for example, Irish would (as orals have been done) likewise History or Geography (Research Report and Field Study).

That's all I needed to know. Thanks Spurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JamesMcClean

That's all I needed to know. Thanks Spurious.

No problem! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Hey, I felt like this was a bit quiet, but i totally understand that everyone is studying!

How are u guys set for the lc now ? it's like slowly dawning, whelp.

Is anyone listening to predictions? I think i'm only going to do 4 poets for english, crossing my fingers its not a bad choice right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thatlcgirl wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to predictions?
    Predictions for LC are a bit like predicting the Irish weather for next July ... everyone knows the general patterns that might be expected, and might be lucky and be very accurate, but on the other hand they could miss the boat altogether.

Personally, I'd barely chance predicting the Irish weather for tomorrow, let alone next July. ;)
    Thatlcgirl wrote: »
    I think i'm only going to do 4 poets for english, crossing my fingers its not a bad choice right now.
    Four leaves you very high odds of being ok, but really the only way to be certain is to hit five. Even if it's only to spend a half an hour the previous weekend glancing over a 5th, then at least if the inconceivable happens, you should be able to attempt some kind of answer on your 5th choice poet.

Finished school forever now, only graduation Friday next week and the exams in June to go.

Think we finish school tomorrow with graduation next Thursday! Crazy to think about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

I don't know if anyone in this thread does classics but my teacher hasn't finished the course with us and so now it's up to me to learn Roman art and architecture. I was wondering if someone has completed their course do they know if it would be a good idea to just study art / architecture and hope two questions on that come up. Otherwise I'll learn off less information for the topic as a whole

Just wanted to post here and say good luck to everybody tomorrow! If your stressing currently, you're not alone and most of the country is most likely the same. Try to clear you head, stop studying for the night soon enough and get a good rest. It's going to be needed, especially with the amount of writing for the next two days with English.

Try your best and that's all you can do, it's what I am going to try and do anyway!

Good luck everyone! We will all be free within in the next 2/3 weeks! :)

Thank you Plath! Whew half the country can breath a sign of relief haha.

Macbeth was hard enough really a lot of people are saying it aswell and comparative was alright a but strange. Poetry section couldn't have been better though, easily understandable unseen and very nice poet questions!

English mock was better for me (one that had a weather related essay title) but both papers were ok. I found the unseen poem a bit "different" and strange. Ordinary level

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Macbeth was hard enough really a lot of people are saying it aswell and comparative was alright a but strange. Poetry section couldn't have been better though, easily understandable unseen and very nice poet questions!

I actually found the Macbeth quite nice ( I did the second part). I was crossing my fingers for Yeats and Plath and when I saw Yeats I swear you could hear me say 'Thank God', his questions was really nice and easy to dissect. I was really hoping for theme and issue but the g.v.v was pretty ok (i did the 70 mark q). A girl came out crying and I kinda just left cuz I was knackered and my bus was going to leave so I didn't have a chance to talk to people about it. Anyway, onward with geography and maths paper 1 (I pee my pants a little every time I think of the hl maths paper, help God:()

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, we didn't have "Plathgate II" anyway!
    Macbeth was hard enough really a lot of people are saying it as well ...
    I thought they were fair enough tbh, not a walk in the park certainly and may have required people to put their thinking caps on (which is the way it should be), but really shouldn't have presented any real problems. And I would agree with ThatLCgirl that the second was slightly the easier of the two.
    ... easily understandable unseen ...!
    Yeah, a tad bleak though maybe I thought ... certainly wouldn't have uplifted the mood of anyone feeling stressed and depressed!
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    I found the unseen poem a bit "different" and strange. Ordinary level
    On the other hand, I thought the unseen on your paper was grand tbh, one read-through and I had a mental image of Jack with his big feet and his grungy teenage boy's room rolling his eyes at his mother if she ever mentioned anything to do with sex coz, after all, he's known all that for YEARS, Mum!!

• Advertisement

Found Geography (HL) and Maths paper 1 (OL) grand.

Advertisement