Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

How many chapters have the rest of you guys covered in HL Maths?? Our teachers are saying we’re quite behind but I just want to see how behind we actually are. :pac:

So far we’ve covered:
    Algebra 1,2,3
    Real Numbers
    Indices & Logarithms
    Trigonometry
    Co-ordinate Geometry: The Line
    Statistics I

and we use Active Maths 4.

We're using Effective Maths 1 at the moment.

We've finished :
    Number Systems,
    Algebra I
    Linear Equations,
    Quadratic Equations,
    Polynomials,
    Inequalities,
    Trigonometry,
    Co-ordinate Geometry of the Line,
    Co-ordinate Geometry of the Circle

At the moment we're doing Lengths, Area and Volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

How do you all feel about repeating 5th year? Not looking forward to 6th year, cao and college stress and not certain which course or college I'm aiming for either. Doing quite well in exams but feel maybe another year would help get my head together. Just don't feel ready. Will these feelings pass? Is it just me? Is it a bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

How do you all feel about repeating 5th year? Not looking forward to 6th year, cao and college stress and not certain which course or college I'm aiming for either. Doing quite well in exams but feel maybe another year would help get my head together. Just don't feel ready. Will these feelings pass? Is it just me? Is it a bad idea?

Anything other than repeat 5th. Go working after LC before college would help a bit to and wouldn't be a waste of time imo

If you're doing academically well then it's possible to just continue on as normal and after doing the LC to defer. You can just take a year to work or do a PLC course in an area you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jeonahr wrote: »
    If you're doing academically well then it's possible to just continue on as normal and after doing the LC to defer. You can just take a year to work or do a PLC course in an area you're interested in.
    This also gives you the option to repeat LC if you settle on your dream course in the meantime and are unfortunate enough to just miss out ... and it can happen to anyone!

Repeating 5th year isn't usually such a great idea unless you're seriously struggling with it ... you have to start a new English course etc., and then if you find yourself in the above situation and repeating LC, you end up spending 4 years at LC which is more torture than anyone needs! ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all your guidance and clarity on this. Everything you've all advised makes so much more sense. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I've finally received my Irish exemption but it says I'm exempted from "languages". Does this mean I won't do French either? I hope not, that would be terrible for me to not do it.

I've been very sick for a few weeks now. Have had a chest infection and bronchitis so I haven't been able to attend school. It's going to take a lot to catch up on what I've missed as a result and I'm still not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EA22

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've finally received my Irish exemption but it says I'm exempted from "languages". Does this mean I won't do French either? I hope not, that would be terrible for me to not do it.

I've been very sick for a few weeks now. Have had a chest infection and bronchitis so I haven't been able to attend school. It's going to take a lot to catch up on what I've missed as a result and I'm still not better.
    How did you go about getting the irish exemption if you’ve been living in ireland all your life? I’m terrible at Irish so I’ve been thinking about dropping it but I doubt it will happen

EA22 wrote: »
    How did you go about getting the irish exemption if you’ve been living in ireland all your life? I’m terrible at Irish so I’ve been thinking about dropping it but I doubt it will happen

Autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

An exemption means you don't HAVE to do it, which is really useful for Irish, as it's one of the three core / mandatory subjects for LC.

It doesn't mean you can't do it, or that if you do, that your score won't count.

Personally, I could never cope with French ... Spanish, mi amor, on the other hand .... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may also mean that while you do not have to sit it for exam, you may have to attend classes, if your school cannot afford to run another class alongside Irish.

spurious wrote: »
    It may also mean that while you do not have to sit it for exam, you may have to attend classes, if your school cannot afford to run another class alongside Irish.

I'm in resource during it, my school has a special needs unit specifically for ASD students where we can do things like relax, do homework, study etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is there a LC English poetry book? If so, I'd be grateful for the name. Thanks!

This is Poetry is the one I have. There are ordinary level and higher level versions of it.

http://www.easonschoolbooks.com/product/index/This-is-Poetry-Leaving-Cert-Higher-Level-2019

Can't believe 5th year is almost over. Where has the time gone? Do you all know what course you want at this stage and the points etc. For now, at least, I'm hoping for Actuarial at UCD. Points rose from 560 to 577 last year so I've lots of work to do to achieve a place if this pattern continues. My 5th year has gone fairly well so far but plenty to improve on. My subjects are the usual 3 with German, Accounting, Physics, Chemistry and Applied Maths (all HL). Has anyone considered any summer revision courses or are they a waste, I wonder? I'm not going and have never done the Gaeltacht but might do an oral preparation course somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

Can't believe 5th year is almost over. Where has the time gone? Do you all know what course you want at this stage and the points etc. For now, at least, I'm hoping for Actuarial at UCD. Points rose from 560 to 577 last year so I've lots of work to do to achieve a place if this pattern continues. My 5th year has gone fairly well so far but plenty to improve on. My subjects are the usual 3 with German, Accounting, Physics, Chemistry and Applied Maths (all HL). Has anyone considered any summer revision courses or are they a waste, I wonder? I'm not going and have never done the Gaeltacht but might do an oral preparation course somewhere.

Actuarial and Financial Studies is course I'm hoping to do as well. Quantitative Business in UCD had been my first choice for a while but the points are impossibly high! I just don't think I'll be able to manage ~590 points. :(

5th year has gone by a lot faster than I thought it would. I really need to start studying for summer tests! 4 weeks to go and I haven't opened a book...

The one we're using in school is 'Verse 2019'
    http://www.easonschoolbooks.com/product/index/Verse-2019-Leaving-Cert-Higher-Level-Poetry-Pack-Bk-Free-Portfolio-Bk-
    It only comes in higher level I think.

Haven't the slightest clue. I have multiple interests that I'm very keen into (education, music, meteorology) but I'm so lost on what courses are out there that I can opt for in the future. I had my heart set going to Trinity College but DCU may not be a bad choice now considering they have been established as the world's first autism friendly university. It's not that far from my area in Dublin 13 in comparison to other universities like Trinity which is like a mile away. Not to mention, I went on a tour around the main campus and damn, wish I was there.

The problem with meteorology for me is that I don't do Physics because I find the subject far too difficult and as far as I'm aware, the only thing I can do if I'm still interested in meteorology when I finish school here is to go back to school and do Physics which I find frustrating. Climatology is my real obsession here.

My 5th year has kind of been a disaster. I've had bronchitis and two infections (one in the chest, another in the mouth) in the past month so my attendance record is very poor. My stress became an all-time high in January and I was on the verge of quitting school. I was contemplating suicide too though I was also thinking of the pains I would cause to myself before I would die and everybody so I pushed myself off of doing so. I decided to get an exemption from Irish which at that time was the main root down to my problem of stress - previously, it had been HL Maths which I dropped to ordinary in November. It was confirmed by the psychologist that I have depression and that if I don't get help, I will have an extremely hard time going into Third Level Education. I am entitled to DARE (Disability Access Route to Education).

So yeah, that's my experience of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm not going and have never done the Gaeltacht but might do an oral preparation course somewhere.

I wouldn't see myself going to a Gaeltacht, given the exorbitant admission prices. Instead, try and find people who can speak Irish well. Remember: beatha teanga í a labhairt! (A language lives if it's spoken!)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

New poster in this forum. Can't believe how fast the year went by, kind of hope the same doesn't happen next year but no doubt it will. Really want to do engineering in college, hopefully in UCD, points are fairly high at around 500. Another course I am looking at is aerospace engineering in Carlow IT. Points are much lower and would take alot of stress off my shoulders but I'm really not that attracted to Carlow as opposed to UCD.

Subjects for 5th year have been physics, applied maths, DCG, construction and geography. All honours apart from Irish. Happy with all my choices and enjoying them all apart from perhaps Irish and English. Im not a language person, I had one class of French at the beginning of the year and noped out straight away and took up construction instead, much more suited to me and I didn't need french anyway.

• Advertisement

Less than a month left of fifth year. Where has all the time gone?! Starting to get nervous about these summer exams as I'm not finished with the year's work except for chemistry. Has anyone started intense study yet? I'm still getting piles of homework so I don't really manage to do continuous study.

I still have my bad cough from bronchitis so haven't been able to go to school for over a month and a half now - except Monday 30th April when I went in because I felt better and the next day, Tuesday, I started coughing heavily again. At lunch time, I had a moment of me face going red and I could not breathe clearly showing I was still not fit for school. Here I am, still sick more than a week later.

I'm not even thinking about exams anymore because they just give me stress in the end and it's not worth it to be honest. Exams are the least of my problems right now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

I can't believe how fast the year has gone by! As someone who skipped ty, I feel as if everything is moving so fast. I've started intense study for the summer exams as I really want to do well in them, after all they're are last school / house exams. I plan to do Law with French (BLC/Matrîse) in UCD, it's my dream course. My subjects are the main three with Biology, Chemistry, French and Geography. Has anyone thought of going to the UCD summer school in June, are people getting summer jobs??? I really hope I get the exam aid in my school for the leaving or junior cert, it'll be some quick cash i need, but I've still applied to jobs just in case. Does anyone know what official documents you need to work? Have you guys thought of you backup courses? Would love to know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sryanbruen wrote:
    I'm not even thinking about exams anymore because they just give me stress in the end and it's not worth it to be honest. Exams are the least of my problems right now anyway.

Get yourself better soon. The exams will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jojolc2019

New poster!. I agree with that 5th yr has gone so quickly . Tbh i don’t really like my subject choice (history) but I’ve still have to learn them. How do you guys Motivate yourselves ? Honestly have motivation now and the summer exam are in 3 weeks. I’m doing Biology,Physics,History ,geography and french(outside school) .My dream course would be to do enigeering at ucd have to work extremely hard from now to lc if I want that. Any summer jobs you recommend???

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I still have my bad cough from bronchitis so haven't been able to go to school for over a month and a half now - except Monday 30th April when I went in because I felt better and the next day, Tuesday, I started coughing heavily again. At lunch time, I had a moment of me face going red and I could not breathe clearly showing I was still not fit for school. Here I am, still sick more than a week later.

I wouldnt worry to much about 5th year summer exams, they really mean nothing. Your health is more important and sure u can catch up over the summer .

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry to much about 5th year summer exams, they really mean nothing. Your health is more important and sure u can catch up over the summer .
    spurious wrote: »
    Get yourself better soon. The exams will wait.

Thanks, the doctor has decided to x-ray me tomorrow to see if there's anything in my chest that's causing the persistent bad coughing for such a long while now.

My absence days is over the limit.

Don't worry about your absence days. You're ill. You might be surprised how many miss way over the limit and there's not a thing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

Has anyone studied for summer exams? Mine are in 2 weeks and barely started this week have no motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

Sb567 wrote: »
    Has anyone studied for summer exams? Mine are in 2 weeks and barely started this week have no motivation.

Mine start on the 25th and I haven't opened a book yet :pac:

Advertisement