Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Anyone having second thoughts on their course choice next year. Keep changing my mind mainly due to campus costs etc. Should I be sensible and stay close to home by opting for an alternative course or bite the bullet and risk being broke after 4 years but very employable albeit just in Dublin? May end up working in Dublin anyway regardless of course choice and the daily commute is such a depressing prospect. Wish my course at least was offered locally! Hoping next years open days may help bring a clearer focus.. they don't change costs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

tbh im thinking of BIS in UCC, not really interested in CIT. Interested in IT but not a very good coder even though I want to be. Very difficult to think if this is the right course for me or not. Ugh too big a life decision :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I keep doubting myself and worrying whether I really want to do something. I'm thinking medicine but there's only so many places. Might put pharmacy and engineering on my CAO after.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

Hi guys. I run a YouTube channel and within it I posted two LC advice videos that can be accessed here as I sat the exams this year.
    I really don't want people to be stressed out for most of the year like I was!
    After the mocks it gets so much easier- trust me!

https://youtu.be/3YvM7CTwpJ8
    https://youtu.be/_XrW4r8txYo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rk2301

I just wanted to let you guys know that I’ve started a blog to document my LC experience. I’ll be posting study tips, careers advice, revision resources etc. Any suggestions for what you’d like to see on the blog are also very welcome. I’d really appreciate it if you’d check it out:

https://myleavingcertdiary.wordpress.com

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not long now getting back into it. I've had a great Summer personally so I'm not complaining although I'll probably regret saying that with all the 6th year stuff that is ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well make the most of the last couple of weeks, 6th year tends to feel like a very long year ... until about March, when it starts to feel like the days are flashing by much too quickly! :D

At least we've had a decent summer of it weather-wise for once, I think everyone's energy levels are that bit better as a result.

Well make the most of the last couple of weeks, 6th year tends to feel like a very long year ... until about March, when it starts to feel like the days are flashing by much too quickly! :D

At least we've had a decent summer of it weather-wise for once, I think everyone's energy levels are that bit better as a result.

Hopefully no long lasting infections this time, especially considering it's exam year!

You got rid of the STI then? :cool:

(I jest, I jest! :D)

I'm back end of this week. I was kind of looking forward to it but it seems to have caught up so quickly that I'm starting to regret it. :D

• Advertisement

Back on the 29th August. Oh dreading the year. But st least it will be over with. Now just have to cut out my highlights and stuff to follow the rules :(.

Also, are we going to transfer this thread to the 6th year thread rather then making a brand new one? :)

I’m guessing most of us have started 6th year by now?

jeonahr wrote: »

Yeah, so far so good. The teachers are being unusually nice to me. I'm sure it's all down here from now :p

Had my induction on Wed (general crap, rules, important yeah. blah blah). Half day thursday and first full day today. Welp, already wrecked haha

Had my induction on Wed (general crap, rules, important yeah. blah blah). Half day thursday and first full day today. Welp, already wrecked haha

My first full day is not 'til Tuesday, 2 hours yesterday, half day today, half-half day Monday (then my usual weekly half day on Wednesdays).

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My first full day is not 'til Tuesday, 2 hours yesterday, half day today, half-half day Monday (then my usual weekly half day on Wednesdays).

I was told it was a Cork thing to have half days on wednesdays! I was lied too!

Two half days before your full? Jealous!

I was told it was a Cork thing to have half days on wednesdays! I was lied too!

If I had a choice, I'd choose Fridays!

If I had a choice, I'd choose Fridays!

I’m off 1 o’clock on Fridays. Best thing my school does to be completely honest.

I’m off 1 o’clock on Fridays. Best thing my school does to be completely honest.

Don't make me jealous, my brother's school is too :mad:. I have PE this year on Friday afternoons so not the worst though last year was better when I had double Music and then a free class (since I don't do Religion) for relax or study.

Don't make me jealous, my brother's school is too :mad:. I have PE this year on Friday afternoons so not the worst though last year was better when I had double Music and then a free class (since I don't do Religion) for relax or study.

your school does PE in senior level? Most schools here drop it after 3rd year.

• Advertisement

Yes, it does (as does my brother's and all my friends' schools), mandatory for everyone and rightfully so. I dislike PE but dropping it is a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leaving14cert

Our school makes 5th years do PE (but not TYs!) although in 6th year we just have careers/study instead.... thank god

I’m so jealous of you all having half days, we finish at 4 three times a week and 3.30 twice a week. And this year our lunch was made 10 mins shorter each day, and we also start before 9. So glad this is my last year of it! I’m always wrecked by Friday.

We start at 8:40 and finish at 3:50 every day besides wednesdays when we finish at 12:50.

We have an hour big lunch though and can leave school for it. Id rather shorter though so it finishes earlier :/

I start at 8:45 and finish at 4:00. My lunch is 50 mins from 1:10 to 2:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

I'm 9:00 to 3:55 with 40 minutes for lunch Monday to Thursday. Friday is 9:00 to 1:20

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Has anyone started a revision plan already ? And how are you going about it? I know it is early but I'm getting stuck in right know. My plan is to study all fifth year material from September to December, Do a general revision of everything in January/February for the mocks and then study all sixth year material in March, April and Half of May. Then the other half of may/June is overall study.

Mine does as well. Double class for everyone. And we’re also part of the tester schools for PE as a LC subject this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

Went back on Tuesday with the first years and then the entire school was back on Wednesday. Anyone else find them selves completely exhausted?? And also I'm so much more hungry than normal. I suppose it's possibly the fact I'm literally dying with a chest infection. I'm so unlucky I got that right before school starts. I'm actually quite enjoying myself in school though. I find all of the poetry in english super interesting and same with An Triail in irish. And getting round to study is actually not as bad as I expected. Does anyone elses school give the sixth years a common room/area. Mine is a total kip. I'd swear you could contract a serious disease by using the microwave. I don't think it's been cleaned in years.

Also for anyone doing history, have you started thinking about your project topic yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

shortgirl0 wrote: »
    Also for anyone doing history, have you started thinking about your project topic yet?

Started working on ours last March/April.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of schools try to at least get it started in 5th year; if they haven't, it would definitely benefit you to start looking round for a topic / sources at this stage.

This year will both crawl and fly, and suddenly you'll have orals etc. looming.

Advertisement