Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Thinking of dropping to OL English. Any repercussions? I do well at HL but have 8 subjects and am finding it too time consuming and don't want my preferred subjects to suffer. Guessing its a completely different play, novel etc... Dunno, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Thinking of dropping to OL English. Any repercussions? I do well at HL but have 8 subjects and am finding it too time consuming and don't want my preferred subjects to suffer. Guessing its a completely different play, novel etc... Dunno, any thoughts?

I'm also thinking of dropping English HL as I'm useless at it. I simply just don't get it, I just can't seem to make up and talk **** like everyone else can. Im not a fan of languages already dropped French in favour of construction (going for engineering course don't need a 3rd language) and I have 6 other higher level subjects so I think I'm good, dropping to OL won't make a difference in my results anyway as it will definitely not be in my top 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Not necessarily need to change all your texts. Most English departments choose texts that are for assessment for both levels in case their students drop down.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0006_2017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can't believe I am already looking up 6th year holidays with my friends. God I remember thinking about how far away this was in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Very appropriate username for that post! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Can't believe I am already looking up 6th year holidays with my friends. God I remember thinking about how far away this was in first year.

We’ve already booked ours since last week. :D

jeonahr wrote: »

I’ve got fussy friends haha. Thinking of going to a festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Where to, pray tell?!

Where to, pray tell?!

Zante, Greece. It's one of the things that I'm looking forward to after this stressful year.

Festival has been booked! Just need to wait for the flights to become available now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Went to Higher Options today, was great fun getting to really know what's going on with actual student feedback. DCU looks to be my definite choice because it's close and it does courses I'm interested in (also a few other things like its facilities, clubs and societies).

second week in and already sick. Missed half of yesterday and all of today (half day anyway!). Argh

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Went to Higher Options today, was great fun getting to really know what's going on with actual student feedback. DCU looks to be my definite choice because it's close and it does courses I'm interested in (also a few other things like its facilities, clubs and societies).

Also at higher options today, main one for me is UCD also picked up a DCU prospectus but didn't get to talk to then, it'll probably go down as backup as points are lower. Accommodation will be a pain to get and pay for both. NUIG, Carlow it and Athlone it will be my other options I think.

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Also at higher options today, main one for me is UCD also picked up a DCU prospectus but didn't get to talk to then, it'll probably go down as backup as points are lower. Accommodation will be a pain to get and pay for both. NUIG, Carlow it and Athlone it will be my other options I think.

Lines were mad at UCD so only got the prospectus from them. Got to talk to DCU about the Bsc Education and Training course. Does seem to match my area of education right now in that it's broad and for people who are not sure what they want to exactly teach.

Would love to go to NUIG if I'm still as fascinated in environmental science, geography and meteorology as I am now sometime in future but that would require me to move to Galway.

If I get back into Music someday, I'm definitely going to BIMM Insitute without a doubt.

I have/had very specific (that I'm highly committed to) interests of weather, education and music so it's kinda weird trying to find one particular course to do. That DCU Bsc Education and Training looks to be my best choice at the moment as it suits me and it requires 306 points.

Lines were mad at UCD so only got the prospectus from them. Got to talk to DCU about the Bsc Education and Training course. Does seem to match my area of education right now in that it's broad and for people who are not sure what they want to exactly teach.

Would love to go to NUIG if I'm still as fascinated in environmental science, geography and meteorology as I am now sometime in future but that would require me to move to Galway.

If I get back into Music someday, I'm definitely going to BIMM Insitute without a doubt.

I have/had very specific (that I'm highly committed to) interests of weather, education and music so it's kinda weird trying to find one particular course to do. That DCU Bsc Education and Training looks to be my best choice at the moment as it suits me and it requires 306 points.

Ye I headed straight to UCD when I arrived and managed to get talking to the engineering guy there within 5-10 minutes. Gave a really good insight to the course and the work experience and internships and stuff.

I wouldn't let moving to Galway put you off, it's the best part of going to college for me. I can't wait to get out on my own and be independent. I've seen you post over on the weather forum whenever I go over there for a gawk and you really seem to know your stuff, if that's what your passionate about I'd go for it. I have an interest in geology and meteorology and specifically volcanology but i just think job opportunities aren't there. Where as in engineering jobs seem plentiful and I love all that kind of stuff so it's the go to for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

environmental science, geography and meteorology

Have a look at Maynooth Geography dept., they have a big interest in climate change / environmental science and have a big research unit into all that stuff as well (ICARUS)

By the sounds of it, it would be a lot nearer to you, though whether it would be commutable daily might be another story.

Up until last week, I was getting little homework now I’m getting thrown with a lot, nightmares of 3rd year driving in now. Apart from homework, it hasn’t been too different from 5th year.

Up until last week, I was getting little homework now I’m getting thrown with a lot, nightmares of 3rd year driving in now. Apart from homework, it hasn’t been too different from 5th year.

Yeah same. Tests are starting to ramp up though. Homework is similar, bit more but finding time to study on top of everything else is awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

Yeah same sort of experiences here. My school had to collect grades for the mid-term reports last week and so all the teachers pilled on the work all in the same week. Currently sitting in evening study with almost no work to do though so I get the feeling some weeks will be more hectic than others. Also has anyone else felt that in sixth year you are so much more prone to illness. Like since the beginning of sixth year I've had 2 chest infections, 2 ear infections and various other minor things. And I usually never get sick...

We have parent teacher meetings coming up in around 2 weeks time. All the teachers are deciding to pile on the work and tests to show results to parents. Needless to say things are pretty rough at the moment.

• Advertisement

Parent teacher meetings got delayed a week, so the teachers see this as a chance to add even more to their books to show parents. D:

Parent teacher meetings got delayed a week, so the teachers see this as a chance to add even more to their books to show parents. D:

My parents couldn't go, mine was Monday just gone. Homework hasn't been as terrible since I last posted though it could still be cut a bit shorter :D.

My parents couldn't go, mine was Monday just gone. Homework hasn't been as terrible since I last posted though it could still be cut a bit shorter :D.

Parents cant go to mine either! Still gotta do the extra week of work though D: German and Economics are killing me!

Does anyone here do German? The time management for the exam and each section is awful. My grades aren’t doing as well because I never have time to finish and it’s worrying. My teacher isn’t helping with it either and she’s not going through the marking scheme and all the exam skills required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are likely to run out of time, answer the Qs that are worth the most marks first.

Does anyone here do German? The time management for the exam and each section is awful. My grades aren’t doing as well because I never have time to finish and it’s worrying. My teacher isn’t helping with it either and she’s not going through the marking scheme and all the exam skills required.

I do German. Yeah its hard, the texts are really difficult and are just getting harder. Nothing you can do but practice and learn words, and set yourself a set amount of time to complete each section. If it goes over that then move on to the next question.

Roleplays and picture sequences are also deadly to learn :(

I haven't had a French class in two weeks now, my teacher's been out since. We've had at least one "free class" of French for each week so far this year but two weeks of everyday having one is just ridiculous and rather worrying.

I haven't had a French class in two weeks now, my teacher's been out since. We've had at least one "free class" of French for each week so far this year but two weeks of everyday having one is just ridiculous and rather worrying.

German teacher was out all last week and was randomly out today aswell.. I had 4 of the 6 classes on Wednesday free, left early today but had 4 free classes and would have had another 2.. I have at least 2 free classes a week, usually more :/ Can't study during them because the class is loud asf and when you have no homework its very boring and such a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ultraviolence

Same my french teacher has been out for 2 weeks now. ( 13 classes in total )
    All we’ve been doing is homework from other classes.
    So far in french we’ve only done comprehensions.. compared to the other hl class, we’re behind as they’ve already started grammar, listening & essay writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

Is anyone one else prioritising study over homework? I feel like I'm the only one and that I have to get up early to finish my homework, I've had several friends who have already done the leaving cert say that I should study more over doing homework but my friends in school say they're doing the exact opposite. I'm happy with what I'm doing now, but will it affect me in the long term?

Advertisement