Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* LC 2018 / 19 Off-topic Thread *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Nothing stopping you playing the past listening exams yourself or continuing on with reading comprehensions picking out new vocabulary / grammar from the text. Or working on your responses for your oral work. There's loads you can be doing on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Thatlcgirl wrote: »
    Is anyone one else prioritising study over homework? I feel like I'm the only one and that I have to get up early to finish my homework, I've had several friends who have already done the leaving cert say that I should study more over doing homework but my friends in school say they're doing the exact opposite. I'm happy with what I'm doing now, but will it affect me in the long term?

I used to do my homework in study from 4.30 - 6.30 and then study at home from 8.00 - 9.30/10.00. Homework is important to do but if I didn't get it all done I didn't sweat it too much because the worst a teacher would do was give me a note in my journal (which didn't phase me as much the older I got / knew I was still putting in real work at home for the LC)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well the biggest thing at the moment in my year is the CAO. Had a talk previously with the career guidance counsellor and she says I am well above the rest of my year in terms of careers listed to put down on CAO.

Saying the above, I am still somewhat struggling on decisions to put 10 down and ordering them out of preference.

My three biggest obsessions are weather (especially climatology/weather history/statistics), education and music (especially songwriting). I have put down the following for level 8:

DCU - Bsc Education and Training
    Maynooth University - Music Technology
    BIMM Institute - Commercial modern music/songwriting
    Trinity College - Music Education (I'd probably put this as a last choice especially due to the points required)
    Maynooth University - Arts-Geography (and then Masters in Climate Change if I were to do a postgraduate course)
    National College of Ireland - Higher Diploma in Science in Data Analytics

Level 6/7:

Royal Irish Academy of Music - Music Composition
    Coláiste Dhúlaigh - Media Production (probably a last choice as not too interested like others named but still somewhat interested and is kinda there as a placement for now)

What courses are you guys thinking of doing or putting down on the CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Trinity College - Music Education (I'd probably put this as a last choice especially due to the points required)
    First and most basic rule of CAO choices - order your choices in the order that you want them, NOT in the order of what you think the points might be.

Imagine pushing a course you want down the list because you think you won't get the points, and then ... you get the damn points, but end up getting another course which you placed higher on the list?!

If you decide that Music in Trinity is what you most want, put it at Number 1. If you don't get the points for it, the system will simply skip over it to the highest course on your list of choices which you do have the points for.

Putting TCD Music at No 1 won't impede this process any more than if you put it at No 10.

So you (and everyone else) should always rank your courses on the CAO in the order in which you genuinely want them.

And remember, you can always amend your course list later in 2019, so don't stress too much about getting them absolutely right in January. It's always good to have a working list at that stage though, especially as you can research courses now in a less stressed environment than later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah, we have a weekly careers class and that has been drilled into our heads. Doesn't matter that its high points just put it at the top if you want it and if you get the points you get it, if you dont it goes to your 2nd favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

I still haven't done my CAO. Struggling not so much on the course but on the accommodation costs, commute and eventual job location i. e. Dublin which will be a horrible commute as affordability costs to live there seem impossible.

I'll be going to a Cork University /college anyway since CIT and UCC are both a 20 minute walk from me and have.most courses I'd need. Do I know what course to do? Nope but I'll get there eventually. Just gonna make a CAO blank so I make it while it's cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Thatlcgirl wrote: »
    Is anyone one else prioritising study over homework? I feel like I'm the only one and that I have to get up early to finish my homework, I've had several friends who have already done the leaving cert say that I should study more over doing homework but my friends in school say they're doing the exact opposite. I'm happy with what I'm doing now, but will it affect me in the long term?

I seem to be doing that too. It all depends on how much you trust your teachers. I remember when I completely disregarded my JC Irish teacher's method of studying harder poems like An Blascaord Mor and Mac Ag Imeacht while I just prepared Subh Milis and Reoiteog Mharfach from 2nd year. Got an A in the end and considering how I messed up the Aural, my decisions definitely paid off there. I also, by and large, use my own methods for understanding concepts and solving problems in LC Maths which has worked tremendously so far (got 100% in the last two tests)

However, there are some subjects like English where I'd find it absolutely impossible to do without a teacher. I simply am not good at it and wouldn't be comfortable enough (or have the motivation) to learn the material by myself.

So it depends on whether you love or hate the subject. I makes it a lot easier from my limited experience to remember content by learning or doing it in a familiar way. Excessive rote learning bogs me down sometimes and can demotivate you in the long run.

finding it very difficult to learn the sraiths. have my oral this week and i dont know one of them no matter how i study it :(. Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Is it just me or does it seem impossible to finish the accounting course? My class are nowhere near done and my teacher doesn’t seem to notice or care. The books are useless for self teaching as well.

exams started today. English, Business and Economics all on the same day. Needless to say I had to reattach my hand when i got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bubbles2001

What do you use do study for your tests, i find it so hard to improve in subjects like ag and biology i like but i just get so overwhelmed

English - H4 (i was happy with that but it was on the comparative which is supposed to be hard but i hope for either a H3/H4)
    Irish - H6 (i was grand with that because i find irish really hard)
    Maths - O5 (kinda disappointed but don't mind too much)
    Geography - H2 (which i was really happy with)
    Ag Science - H6 ( i was disappointed how is a good way to improve)
    Biology - H6 (again disappointed)
    LCVP - Distinction (happy)

If anybody has any tips to improve with ag science and biology i would really apperciate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Leaving cert 2019 exam timetable just went up today. Pretty happy with the layout :D. It’s on for longer than usual but I guess that’s better for the people who do the minority subjects like Russian or Japanese.

My exam timetable was probably one of the worst especially if I was doing Irish which thankfully I'm not anymore since the middle of 5th year. It had both the French and Irish orals on the exact same day - yesterday - and with the actual written exams. Who's idea was it to do this like seriously? Followed by tomorrow with both Business and Geography. :rolleyes:

Finished my exams yesterday thank god.

Also for anybody wondering the LC 2019 timetable is up.

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/EN-EX-18331764.pdf

Pre-Orals start next thursday. Welp.

Pre's start then the tuesday after midterm (weird why its a tuesday but eh).

Needless Mid-Term will be used to study quite a lot!

Then we have the actual orals at the end of the month! Double welp!

Pre-Orals start next thursday. Welp.

Pre's start then the tuesday after midterm (weird why its a tuesday but eh).

Needless Mid-Term will be used to study quite a lot!

Then we have the actual orals at the end of the month! Double welp!

They said my orals/practical/fieldwork etc will be around two weeks before the Easter holidays (which are late this year).

I have two weeks of straight mock exams besides both Fridays off starting next Tuesday then I'm on my mid-term. They used to do a week of mocks then mid-term and the next week of mocks then after it but changed it for some reason this year.

They said my orals/practical/fieldwork etc will be around two weeks before the Easter holidays (which are late this year).

I have two weeks of straight mock exams besides both Fridays off starting next Tuesday then I'm on my mid-term. They used to do a week of mocks then mid-term and the next week of mocks then after it but changed it for some reason this year.

Yup, Irish orals begin on the 25th March - 29th March and then German/French is the 1st-5th (German is only one day in my school since only 15 of us do it so one of those days!)

Yeah we do our pre's at a weird time, two weeks straight of them after Mid Term which is eh. Not sure about breaks and stuff yet we haven't received the timetable for it.

They used to do a week of mocks then mid-term and the next week of mocks then after it but changed it for some reason this year.
    There is a definite value to getting the Mocks over and have a week to chill and draw breath before the final hurdle.

Plus if they're being corrected in-school, gives teachers a chance to correct them.

• Advertisement

Pre orals pushed forward to Monday instead of thursday. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

My Irish oral is this Thursday, have yet to do anything for it but it's only pass Irish and just looking to pass so be grand. Mocks start next Thursday I think, also havnt done any real study yet, it can be hard to get time in the evenings after homework.

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    My Irish oral is this Thursday, have yet to do anything for it but it's only pass Irish and just looking to pass so be grand. Mocks start next Thursday I think, also havnt done any real study yet, it can be hard to get time in the evenings after homework.

Find that too, by the time I am home, have had a bit of a rest, dinner, homework done, I just don't have time for extra study unless I want to finish around 11 which I don't. Just hard to get time for it with all the homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shortgirl0

I had my french oral today which went fine. My teacher told me I did well so that's stopped me from worrying too much. My mock Irish oral is this Friday but I'm not as worried. Then my mocks start next Monday and then run to Friday the 15th but I'm finished my exams on the 12th which is nice. My motivation has diminished so much since Christmas but at least we have 4 more months to study before the Leaving Cert. I've been tired and dizzy a lot recently which has made it difficult to concentrate and it turns out I have a vitamin D deficiency. At least I got that sorted before the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thatlcgirl

shortgirl0 wrote: »
    My motivation has diminished so much since Christmas but at least we have 4 more months to study before the Leaving Cert. I've been tired and dizzy a lot recently which has made it difficult to concentrate

I relate so much it's not even funny..

Snow day today! Great opportunity to study for my mock oral.... Orrrr I could go outside and enjoy the snow with my younger sister. You can guess what I picked.

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    Snow day today! Great opportunity to study for my mock oral.... Orrrr I could go outside and enjoy the snow with my younger sister. You can guess what I picked.

No competition there, very easy decision! Obviously the studying :P

No competition there, very easy decision! Obviously the studying :P

Oh definitely lol. Seriously though I'm back inside now and it's time to do some revision for it as I have basically nothing done for it. It could be bad again tomorrow and school be called off again so here's hoping for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like many schools have their Mocks in the run up to the midterm break.

This will put a lot of pressure on the correctors for the Mock companies as loads of papers will arrive together. I know the papers from some schools are already with the correctors, so those schools will probably have some if not all results back before the midterm.

• Advertisement

Well I was meant to have my pre irish oral today but alas, literally during the middle of the night I start to get flu like symptoms so can't go in. Typical. Hopefully they let me do it tomorrow or Wednesday :(

Advertisement