Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montessouri

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

My toddler is starting Montessouri in September. He's potty trained but has to be reminded or he will forget particularly if he's distracted. Is this ok? Do I need to postpone him?

Besides that what can I do to prepare him? I assume I need a lunchbox, does he need a "schoolbag"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

I would be surprised if he needs a schoolbag or lunch. I haven't heard of needing them. The less they bring in the better. Stuff can easily go missing so label all cardigans and coats.
    The minders bring all children in a line to the toilet frequently.
    Enjoy and get to know what they do with your child each day in activities etc cos kids rarely relay facts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Feets wrote: »
    I would be surprised if he needs a schoolbag or lunch. I haven't heard of needing them. The less they bring in the better. Stuff can easily go missing so label all cardigans and coats.
    The minders bring all children in a line to the toilet frequently.
    Enjoy and get to know what they do with your child each day in activities etc cos kids rarely relay facts!

I wasn't so much imagining a school bag as a bag with like jumper, suncream sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

I wasn't so much imagining a school bag as a bag with like jumper, suncream sort of thing?

Label your suncream and sunhat and most places keep them there so its not forgotten. Send in labelled underwear socks and trousers as a spare set in case accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi everyone,

My toddler is starting Montessouri in September. He's potty trained but has to be reminded or he will forget particularly if he's distracted. Is this ok? Do I need to postpone him?

Besides that what can I do to prepare him? I assume I need a lunchbox, does he need a "schoolbag"?

I don't know about the potty training, but I'm sure the teachers will be used to kiddies who aren't trained long, especially since the introduction of the second year, so they'd surely be able to remind him often!
    A little lunch bag would be fine, though your lb might feel a bit shortchanged if he doesn't have a schoolbag going to school! Mine had a school bag, but all that was in it was a lunch. His bag broke half way through the year, and I just replaced it with a lunch bag with a long handle and he was happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We were a bit worried about my sons toilet training before Montessori but he's been fine. They go at regular times during the day (and obviously can go aside from that if they need) and we've never had an issue. I guess it depends on the Montessori but I imagine they're all used to fairly newly trained kids. In our one they have spare clothes kept for emergencies.

I have a small school bag for him but most of the time all that's in it is lunch and a drink. We don't give in suncream-they ask that it's on them before going if weather is good, and then in better weather he would have his jumper in the bag when he takes it off but he'd just carry it out sometimes so not really an issue.

As someone else said just make sure everything has a label!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Oh and one suggestion I remember from before our guy started was to make sure they're used to using their lunchbox and beaker etc. They suggested having a few picnics, even just in your back garden, with his Montessori stuff and try encourage him to do everything from taking it out to putting it away and eating etc by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi everyone,

Is he just doing the 3 hours per day? Or more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    Is he just doing the 3 hours per day? Or more?

3 hours and the childminder will pick him up and drop him with the other little lad she minds. Unfortunately she's on hols from next week until the day he starts so its going to be a bit of a land for him that week and I'm trying to have as much of a routine as is possible ready for him

Thanks everyone. Yeah I plan on using the lunchbox with his snack daily until he goes so he is well used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

In my daughters one lunch was provided (the parents paid) but I'm most yes you send in lunch and a drink. A small bag with dry knickers, bottoms/ skirt and socks

3 hours and the childminder will pick him up and drop him with the other little lad she minds. Unfortunately she's on hols from next week until the day he starts so its going to be a bit of a land for him that week and I'm trying to have as much of a routine as is possible ready for him

Thanks everyone. Yeah I plan on using the lunchbox with his snack daily until he goes so he is well used to it.

When my son only goes for 3 hours I just send in a snack and a drink :) snack is fruit or yoghurt!
    In his school bag I always have spare clothes (I bring the school bag on days out with us) and leave tiny bottle of sun cream in front pouch!

We left wellies and those raingear things in monte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    When my son only goes for 3 hours I just send in a snack and a drink :) snack is fruit or yoghurt!
    In his school bag I always have spare clothes (I bring the school bag on days out with us) and leave tiny bottle of sun cream in front pouch!

We left wellies and those raingear things in monte!

I had to send a two course meal with my guy!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I had to send a two course meal with my guy!

Haha!
    On the 3 hour days my son would have breakfast at say 8.30 and we would leave at 8.55! He is home for 12 ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Same here OP.She had an introductory session in June and I said to them that she won't go if she's distracted and they said oh yeah, we're well used to that.So hopefully that will be ok.I am going to get some labels for clothes etc, and will definitely provide food.Just thinking yesterday I'll have to get her a box and teach her how to open it etc.Actually I don't think opening the box will be the problem in our case, I think sitting still for long enough to eat anything will be the biggest challenge.And she doesn't do well without regular fuel, so I will definitely be sending a lunch for her.They provide a biscuit and drink as a snack, but they do a second break (it's a four hour session) so she will need food for that.
    I am going to try to talk her through it a bit over the next few weeks, so she has some idea what to expect and I will be there to do pick up and collection the first couple of days, just in case.We will try to do morning drop offs ourselves anyway, as we both work close enough to home and have a degree of flexibility.Fingers crossed for both of us :-)

Advertisement