Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance auto renew?

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭

So i got a quote out from my car unsurance providers about a month before my policy was due to end. Opened the envelope and saw it had more than trebled, didnt bother taking the letter out of the envelope just threw it away.

So fast forward a month, was taking a break from renewing insurance as i wanted to see where i was work wise as i may need different insurance, and i see that the insurance company took €200 installment out of my account. Bastards.

I rang them up today (bank holiday delayed me ringing them earlier), they tell me that it renewed from 27th june and if i want to cancel it i need to send the disc back. Apparently the letter i threw out had a disc in it. They said they'd email me a loss of disc form and refund me the difference from the date i complete it and send it back.

No form was emailed to me today so im fairly pissed off right now. And since when does no communication constitute agreement in a contract? If i ring back tomorrow can and ask to speak to a supervisor do i have the right to insist that they refund the full amount without me having to fill any forms out as i never agreed to them providing me insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I guarantee your renewal notice advised you that the policy would auto renew by direct debit if you did not tell them to lapse it.

There is no call for getting arsey just because you didn't read the documents and just binned them.

If you don't have the form from them tomorrow then contact them again and ask they resend it.

Complete it and return it and you will get your money back in full.

They will not lapse it without written instruction from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

I guarantee your renewal notice advised you that the policy would auto renew by direct debit if you did not tell them to lapse it.

There is no call for getting arsey just because you didn't read the documents and just binned them.

If you don't have the form from them tomorrow then contact them again and ask they resend it.

Complete it and return it and you will get your money back in full.

They will not lapse it without written instruction from you.

Im not getting arsey because i didn't read the document...

Im annoyed because they said it would be from when i return a form i would be reimbursed, that they would send it today (i rang at 10am) and no sign of it when i opened my email this eve.

although tbf it can say whatever it wants on the renewal notice, i didn't accept it. It may have said it in original contract in small print but as i said in op no contact is not the same as acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you took out a policy with an alternative insurer from your renewal date, most insurers would give a full refund in your circumstances. Because that is not the case, you can only expect a pro-rata return. See it from their point of view. They sent you a renewal, advised you it will auto renew without your instructions and gave you a cert and disc which has been valid since 27/6 (and remains valid today)

Send them what they want and put it down to experience. Either that or rant at some unfortunate office worker for your mistake and you might get it all back

Advertisement