Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You must initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it."

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

My mates laptop got a blue screen of death and ended up in an Automatic Repair loop which kept on prompting

"Your PC Ran Into a Problem and Needs to Restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."

I took the HDD out and into my external box. Plugged it to both my laptop and my brothers and it shows up in Device Manager as "USB Device", in Disk Management as "Not Initialized" and is not accessible.

Would normally try formatting it but all her college work and pictures are on it.

It was a Windows Vista laptop which I updated 6 months back with a free upgrade iirc. Not 100% of what OS I updated too though.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Do you know anyone with a Linux computer? Linux tends to be better at accessing discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Think at least one of the lads in work uses Linux. Cheers for the suggestion.

Seems it was my HDD External Box, tried another one I had lying around and looks to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You've probably backed up everything now and done a fresh install, but if it happens in the future:

Try a hard power cycle since it's a laptop.

Try entering safe mode and doing things like malware scans, uninstall anything recently installed and do a SFC scan to repair any corrupt system files.

The power cycle is what fixed a laptop for me a few months ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Seems it was my HDD External Box, tried another one I had lying around and looks to be working!

I've seen this with external USB SATA drive adaptors/enclosures before. If you have access to another computer add the hard disk into it and in the bios make sure the boot priority is set to the working disk/OS you have installed on the computer.

• Advertisement

Cheers all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

What I normally do here is to take an image of the disk (with a free tool called Clonezilla) before doing any work on it, if possible. Then attach the disk to another machine, and usually use GetDataBack to see what it can see on the disk. The software is commercial, but cheap enough if you need to get something back badly.

Advertisement