If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound for amazon echo

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hello,

Just looking for some advice. Buying a new house and want a home cinema system for the living room. We have a nice 65 inch Samsung tv and we're getting an amazon echo/dot too so would like it to be compatible with that for playing music. Low budget would be fine if the sound quality is pretty good. 

As well as that, we're going to get an amazon dot for the bedroom and would ideally like surround sound of some sort in there too. Again, nothing too fancy needed, maybe even just two speakers at either side of the room that could connect up with the dot. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. 

Thanks,
    PJ 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hello,

Just looking for some advice. Buying a new house and want a home cinema system for the living room. We have a nice 65 inch Samsung tv and we're getting an amazon echo/dot too so would like it to be compatible with that for playing music. Low budget would be fine if the sound quality is pretty good. 

As well as that, we're going to get an amazon dot for the bedroom and would ideally like surround sound of some sort in there too. Again, nothing too fancy needed, maybe even just two speakers at either side of the room that could connect up with the dot. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. 

Thanks,
    PJ 
    Hi PJ,

thanks for the post - the little Echo dot is a neat little product and you can take the 3.5mm output from it and use it in pretty any AV system.

In the bedroom to get surround sound, ideally you will need a proper 5.1 system, you can emulate surround with some decent soundbars but to get effective surround you ideally need at least 4 speakers ( ideally 5!) - the Dot also only processes Stereo sound, not surround so unless you are using other sources in the bedroom I'd stick to standard stereo?

If you had a rough idea of set-up and budget post it here or drop us a line to sales@richersounds.ie and we will put together a few options for you.

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

Thanks for the reply John. 

I was looking at the Yamaha YHT1810 for the sitting room. Or Pioneer S-HS100 maybe? My budget is low due to the house purchase and I'm no expert to be honest. If it sounds good I'm happy. 

I guess surround sound isn't essential in the bedroom. Was considering getting a projector for there at some stage but will probably leave it for now. Maybe if you could recommend some speakers for the amazon dot, one at each side of the room? I don't know much about it. Again, keeping the budget down if possible. I'm not sure if these would have to be wired or if bluetooth can be used to connect with two speakers. Wired wouldn't be a major problem anyway. 

Thanks again
    PJ

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for the reply John. 

I was looking at the Yamaha YHT1810 for the sitting room. Or Pioneer S-HS100 maybe? My budget is low due to the house purchase and I'm no expert to be honest. If it sounds good I'm happy. 

I guess surround sound isn't essential in the bedroom. Was considering getting a projector for there at some stage but will probably leave it for now. Maybe if you could recommend some speakers for the amazon dot, one at each side of the room? I don't know much about it. Again, keeping the budget down if possible. I'm not sure if these would have to be wired or if bluetooth can be used to connect with two speakers. Wired wouldn't be a major problem anyway. 

Thanks again
    PJ
    Hi Poeticjustice.

The Yamaha YT1810 would perform better than the SHS100. You would also need to purchase an amp to run the SHS100.
    YHT1810 priced at £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200708-yht1810.aspx

Regarding the DOT. It depends if you want a Hifi in the bed room or just a wireless/blutooth speaker?

Something like the Denon DM40 wih the Mission LX2 speakers priced at £259 (Wired)
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah013437

Or maybe something like the Cambridge YoYo Medium priced at £299. (Very nice little speakers).
    https://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah013437

Let me know if I'm in the right area with either of the above.

Thanks for that. Definitely interested in the Yamaha one. Will have a chat with the other half about it all and get back to you! Thought I might find something cheaper for the bedroom but I'll see what way I'm fixed money wise first.

Thanks a million.

Thanks for that. Definitely interested in the Yamaha one. Will have a chat with the other half about it all and get back to you! Thought I might find something cheaper for the bedroom but I'll see what way I'm fixed money wise first.

Thanks a million.
    No problem, keep us posted!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Just went online to order the Yamaha YHT1810 but it's out of stock. Any idea when you will get these back?

Is this the best option to go with a new 4k tv? Any other suggestions on similar budget?

Thanks
    PJ

Thanks a million.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Just went online to order the Yamaha YHT1810 but it's out of stock. Any idea when you will get these back?

Is this the best option to go with a new 4k tv? Any other suggestions on similar budget?

Thanks
    PJ
    Hi PJ,

Unfortunately I dont have an incoming date for these items. If you are looking for a good budget system I would recommend the Pioneer VSX531 at £179 along with the JBL Cinema 5.1 system at £199. This would be a great starter system that would give a better sound than the Yamaha system.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.