Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETFs or private pension?

• 08-08-2017 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I am a public sector worker since 2008, 33 years old, own house with no mortgage, single.

I have some extra cash each month that i want to put to good use. I already pay into my public pension so have been thinking of buying some ETFs recently as a way to invest.

Is this the best thing to do? Or can i put more money into a separate private pension pot and get the tax relief on that to, to compliment my public pension? Id like to have a separate private pension in case when i retire in 30 years time the public service pension is reduced from what it is today. If not, then id imagine ETFs are a good way to build wealth for the long term.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I do both - but ETFs for me are shorter term, rather than retirement savings.

The main difference here is tax treatment. If you set up a pension such as a PRSA, you can claim tax relief on your investment off your income, which is not available through ETFs.

Advertisement