Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo allowance

Options
  • 08-08-2017 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi all, long time lurker first time posting. I had a .22 licence with an allowance of 500 rds. When i renewed it this year in a different district to where i was originally living, my renewal came back with a count of 150 rds. I sent in an amendment stating my previous allowance was 500 and gave the reasons. My new licence arrived today with 300 rds on it.
    Do i go back again and query or is that it. My problem now is i have more rounds than i am entitled to on the licence.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Go back.

The allowance is not a set quantity or a given, but if you show good enough reason there is no cause for it to be lowered. As for you having more than can license. For the moment i'd suggest having a friend with a license hold some for you incase of a home visit and to avoid any issues.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Thanks Cass,
    I thought it was strange considering I've had that allowance for over ten years. The only difference is i moved to a different district.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I stuck in a new .22 application a few days ago with 1,000 rounds of ammo. I presume I have no chance of actually getting that much!

solarwinds wrote: »
    The only difference is i moved to a different district.
    If your circumstances haven't changed then i see no reason for the reduction, but then again i'm not the Super.

I'd stick in another letter and along with your reasons ask why the amount was reduced in the first place or more accurately why they see the need to reduce it now. You will most likely not get an answer, but no harm to ask.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    I stuck in a new .22 application a few days ago with 1,000 rounds of ammo. I presume I have no chance of actually getting that much!
    If you can show good reason there is every possibility you will get it. I thought the same when i applied for 2,000, but i got it. Same with my other firearms. The lowest amount i have on any caliber is 1,000. However my explanation for the amount was long and detailed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    If your circumstances haven't changed then i see no reason for the reduction, but then again i'm not the Super.

I'd stick in another letter and along with your reasons ask why the amount was reduced in the first place or more accurately why they see the need to reduce it now. You will most likely not get an answer, but no harm to ask.

If you can show good reason there is every possibility you will get it. I thought the same when i applied for 2,000, but i got it. Same with my other firearms. The lowest amount i have on any caliber is 1,000. However my explanation for the amount was long and detailed.

That might be where I tripped up - I just put down 1,000 and asked the FO if he thought that was ok - he said yeah fine, but I'm guessing it will be different when it goes up the line.

• Advertisement

This might be of help.

Reasons for both applying for a suppressor and to increase the ammo limits on your license.

Understand that this is not a "loophole" or "workaround". The reasons you give must be legit and valid otherwise it's a fraudulent application, and may be refused. Also some aspects require range membership, etc. So applying for 2,000 rounds when you only do vermin control may not work.

Anyway here are a list of reasons for needing a suppressor in the form of a sample letter:
    Re: Section 3.2 - I request permission for the use of a moderator on my Rifle for the following reasons:

1. To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
    2. To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
    3. Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    4. Protection of personal hearing
    5. Improved accuracy therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
    6. Ideal for vermin control.
    This is a sample letter if you find you need a higher ammo allowance that you currently have:
    Re: Section 4.1 - I request the maximum rounds of ammunition on my license be increased to (insert amount) for the following reasons:

1. Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
    2. I regularly take part in target competitions and actively attend target ranges for practice. As a result of this I can go through a large quantity of rounds in a short period of time.
    3. Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
    4. Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.

For these reasons I hope you can grant my request to increase the limit of ammunition to allow me to stay within the conditions of my licence.
    To re-cap. Your reasons must be valid and the above is only intended as a guide to helping people write a letter to accompany any FCA1 application/substitution. If you are reading any of the above and think most or none of them apply to you then it's likely you don't need either. However only you an judge that.

Cass wrote: »
    This might be of help.

Reasons for both applying for a suppressor and to increase the ammo limits on your license.

Understand that this is not a "loophole" or "workaround". The reasons you give must be legit and valid otherwise it's a fraudulent application, and may be refused. Also some aspects require range membership, etc. So applying for 2,000 rounds when you only do vermin control may not work.

Anyway here are a list of reasons for needing a suppressor in the form of a sample letter:
    This is a sample letter if you find you need a higher ammo allowance that you currently have:

To re-cap. Your reasons must be valid and the above is only intended as a guide to helping people write a letter to accompany any FCA1 application/substitution. If you are reading any of the above and think most or none of them apply to you then it's likely you don't need either. However only you an judge that.

Thanks for that. I included a list of reasons why I wanted a mod but the FO said the super only gives them in exceptional circumstances - when I told him there are fairly highly-strung racehorses on some of my permissions (which is true), he suggested I not shoot on those any more!

Ask what exceptional circumstance means. If he is foolish enough to give you reasons then see how you meet them. My thinking is it's simply a blanket ban scenario in which casse i contact any association or group you're involved in for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I applied for my first .22lr in July last year . I requested 1500 rounds on the application.When I went in to meet the FO he said " you know you won't get 1500 rounds so we'll put down 1000 instead " and a 1000 is what i got permission for .

Advertisement