Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm I worrying over nothing

Options
  • 09-08-2017 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok so I'm in my job almost 10 years now. And I'm a very hard worker. Don't always get things right but I try my damn hardest and do my best each day. The job I'm doing used to be a two person job but recently it moved to just one (me) I'm fairly stressed doing it on my own and have been told I'll get help etc when needed. The thing is I almost always need a hand. I work a 4 day week and find the day I'm off , the work isn't covered so I'm always playing catch up. When I ask for help I usually get another employee who has been taken away from their work to help me and does nothing but the very minimum. This is also stressful. I'm sick to the back teeth asking for help and breaking my neck to get things done. I'm really doing a two person job in 4 days. That's how I'm seeing more mistakes and getting stressed. I've spoken to the union who told me just to relax and let the work build up if need be and then they will have to do something about it. I think my boss got wind of this conversation and said to me the other day that people who in any way slack off will be getting fired. I said are you sure that's allowed? And was told "oh yes" there's a few in mind. I think he was trying to worry me even more. So now I'm thinking also can I get fired for not working fast enough? Love some advice on this as work is stressing me out so much lately

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Your boss cant fire you if you bring something that HE is responsible for to his attention. Tomorrow, ask the boss for a 1 on 1 meeting for 20 minutes and outline to him exactly how much extra work is left for you since the job become the responsibility of just one person. Tell him you cannot do all of your own work in addition to these new tasks and put the onus 100% on him to sort out and re delegate the workload. It is the job of the boss to sort out the work and devise a solution when the workload is too much but you must be clear and assertive during this meeting- don't mention that you are struggling or "sorry" or I'm "trying my best"- these phrases give off weakness.

Simply state your issue and ask him can he please provide a solution. Be polite but firm and work with him to resolve the issue, as long as he is crystal clear on you having too much work. When he comes up with a solution, email him afterwards "Hi...., further to our meeting thanks for confirming the following plan...is this ok?". If he doesn't help you at all, go back to the union and tell them you need to make an official grievance with them behind you and see your HR handbook. You can only do what you can do. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

your communication lines with your boss seem to be almost non existant

you said .
    I'm really doing a two person job in 4 days. That's how I'm seeing more mistakes and getting stressed.

i would suggest that you do your job well, rather than try to do everything but badly. as the union advised. Do a good job, within the constraints of work hours.

you could make a time card type thing where you track what you do and how long it takes. It can be for your personal use only, but you could use it as a tool when discussing workload with your boss. that way you can show your not slacking, and the job you're doing should be professionally done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to put some metrics (measurements) on what you are doing. Hard to say how much work you are doing unless you're keeping records on the volume of work. Once you have this you can present a case for extra resources and also defend your work rate if ever queried.

Most bosses would be crazy to let an employee leave who is doing the work of 2 people for the price of one.

Sounds like a poor work situation, is it possible that you could find somewhere better to work? Might be less stressful and more enjoyable. A place with this management style is unlikely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

OP My Dad knew an MD of a large company who ignored all requests for extra resources from staff until they went mental at him / threatened to leave . then he knew they really needed extra resources and sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Did the manager state he was aware of your conversation, and details thereof, with the union rep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I think that you need to be careful here. It sounds as if your employer is attempting to bully you into doing the work previously done by two people with threats of firing you if you don't.

Keep careful notes of all contacts with your employer / foreman etc. Dates and what was said. Keep these notes at home. Listen you your union representative. You don't need to rock the boat but you certainly should have your ammunition ready.

As other posters also said - keep a careful note of the duties you carry out and the duration. If it gets nasty you should be OK as they will have to demonstrate that the workload is reasonable despite one person doing the work of two.

Advertisement