Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST: How to find IT courses that lead to certifications e.g. Comptia

Options
  • 09-08-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to re-enter the IT Industry after a major break, so will need to upskill and get some certs, but I was wondering how do people find out where these courses are provided? Are they all online or classroom based? I am completely lost. The only info I can find is people giving info on what books and websites to study to prep for the exams, but I can not find any of the course providers. Any info would be greatly appreciated:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Are you working or unemployed at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The courses are worth a fortune if you sit them. I just buy the books, get the sample exams online, book the exam online when you think youre ready, and sit the exams in one of the many exam centres.

It really isn't that difficult.

The reason why I asked about work is. If you are unemployed you can do lots of courses. I got made redundant and made the most of the system doing courses. I'm in a permanent Job now. You are eligible for full time and online courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Back2work

The reason why I asked about work is. If you are unemployed you can do lots of courses. I got made redundant and made the most of the system doing courses. I'm in a permanent Job now. You are eligible for full time and online courses.

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently unemployed. I did not know about the online courses. Im looking at doing a day course

Back2work wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I'm currently unemployed. I did not know about the online courses. Im looking at doing a day course
    I would recommend a full time course. Online course have a very high drop out rate. Specially if your starting studying again. Also is you live in Dublin. I'd recommend doing volunteer work. Camara was good for my CV.

• Advertisement

I live in Cork. Would u recommend a 1 or 2 yr course>

Back2work wrote: »
    I live in Cork. Would u recommend a 1 or 2 yr course>

Depends. On how long you can afford to be out work for. Start with Comptia A+ then a CCNA or MCSA. Each of them can be up to 6 Months depending on where it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Look at fetch courses they are run by the department of social protection they have a lot of online and classroom based ones.
    Also try springboard these are college courses that are free if you are on social welfare and are based in different colleges all over Ireland
    https://springboardcourses.ie

Look at fetch courses they are run by the department of social protection they have a lot of online and classroom based ones.
    Also try springboard these are college courses that are free if you are on social welfare and are based in different colleges all over Ireland
    https://springboardcourses.ie

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at the FIT courses to begin with and hopefully once employed, I can do the IT Certs

Advertisement