Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 insurance 2 cars

• 09-08-2017 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi all

I was wondering about this setup if it's even legal.

If I have a car and my wife is a name driver on my fully comp insurance, she goes out and buys a car which I drive while she drives my car. Is there anything to stop us from having just 1 insurance since we are both insured to drive cars we don't own?

I understand my insurance is reduced to third party under these circumstances. But if this is perfectly legal, what's the point in having 2 separate policies?

Sorry in advance for where I ended up putting this post. I'm a noob to the mapping of the site

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You jointly own property so your wife's car is yours and vice versa. So you can't drive your spouses car on the driving other cars as it's owned by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If I have a car and my wife is a name driver on my fully comp insurance, she goes out and buys a car which I drive while she drives my car. Is there anything to stop us from having just 1 insurance since we are both insured to drive cars we don't own?
    From what I understand; there can only one person can insure a car at the time. Otherwise, one of the insured(s) will have to make a false disclosure along the lines of "This vehicle is registered to me.....".

Thus, one person will be insured on your car. You can have a named driver on your car, but I doubt the named driver will have insurance to drive other cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

You have declared that you are the main driver of the first car. This is no longer true, your wife is and you are the main user of the second car.

Secondly some "driving other cars" cover specifically state that the car cannot be owned by you or your spouse so you need to check your own insurance policy on that one.

Either way you're not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

I thought it was that if your own car was off the road at the time. i.e. in the garage or parked up at back of house, then you would be covered third party driving another car. BUT the car that you drive third party must have its own insurance from somebody else. Hence you still need two policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I thought it was that if your own car was off the road at the time. i.e. in the garage or parked up at back of house, then you would be covered third party driving another car. BUT the car that you drive third party must have its own insurance from somebody else. Hence you still need two policies.

3rd party extension has nothing to do with the other car having its own insurance.
    It also does not require that your car is off the road.

OP, your plan doesn't work, your wife's car is still your car and also you must display the cars insurance policy in the window when on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Senna wrote: »
    3rd party extension has nothing to do with the other car having its own insurance.
    It also does not require that your car is off the road.

OP, your plan doesn't work, your wife's car is still your car and also you must display the cars insurance policy in the window when on the road.

Some insurers are amending the policy wording to state the other vehicle must be insured. You can be certain others will follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Some insurers are amending the policy wording to state the other vehicle must be insured. You can be certain others will follow

What insurance company?
    I've heard this said many times, but every year when I phone around for insurance companies, I always ask as I use the extension often, no company has ever required the other car to have it own policy and the staff will said that your policy follows you to the car so if there was/was not a policy on the other car it would have no bearing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

What insurance company?
    I've heard this said many times, but every year when I phone around for insurance companies, I always ask as I use the extension often, no company has ever required the other car to have it own policy and the staff will said that your policy follows you to the car so if there was/was not a policy on the other car it would have no bearing at all.

Aviva for a start. I can't link, but it is on their Motor Care policy, page 17. Condition D 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

What insurance company?

Aviva. I renewed with them last month and asked this exact question re third party extension. The other car must be taxed, have NCT (if needed) and be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Ty everyone for your reply.

I really thought at 4 in the morn while I couldn't sleep I was onto a winner lol.

Having lived abroad where you basicly insure the car and anyone over the age of 25 can drive it must have skipped Ireland. The price of insurance is horrendous for what you get. Right now I pay 800 a year but would be 600 if my wife didn't do her licence in Germany where you spend a full year driving in different weather to pass your exam. Had she done her exam and passed in Ireland where you tick the box for forty questions and drive for 45 mins we would of got more of a discount. The whole thing doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Ty everyone for your reply.

I really thought at 4 in the morn while I couldn't sleep I was onto a winner lol.

Having lived abroad where you basicly insure the car and anyone over the age of 25 can drive it must have skipped Ireland. The price of insurance is horrendous for what you get. Right now I pay 800 a year but would be 600 if my wife didn't do her licence in Germany where you spend a full year driving in different weather to pass your exam. Had she done her exam and passed in Ireland where you tick the box for forty questions and drive for 45 mins we would of got more of a discount. The whole thing doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the rant

Don't give up so easily.
    Do your research and go for whatever you think makes sense.

As said above - not many insurers require other car (driven under driving other cars extension) to be insured separately. Aviva does from a year or so, and possibly some others do, but most don't.
    Some insurers allow you to drive other car, even if it's registered in your wife's name.
    And in relation to argument of you having to be main driver on car on the policy - possibly you can be. I've never seen a clear definition of "main driver".

IMO what you're planning is doable.

Advertisement