Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubs / Trees for Front Door

Options
  • 09-08-2017 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all

I am a gardening novice. I want to plant 2 shrubs / trees at either side of the front door.

It's almost always in the shade and is partially covered by porch roof.

Hoping to get something that is easy to care for, ever green and doesn't cost a fortune (have budget of about 150-200 for the 2 trees)

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thank you in advance

MrsG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bay trees would be the obvious if somewhat boring choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

In pots or in the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bay trees can be very unreliable. Once they start to die off they usually continue doing so. OP I suggest you get some nice pots and don't spend top dollar on the trees. In a shady spot you might be ok, or you might not. Be prepared to replace them at intervals.

One thing that might do well in that spot would be a couple of large ferns. Not the 'tree ferns' just a couple of ferns that will grow reasonably big. I have a couple in spots that get no sunlight at all, one has now got four foot + fronds looking very impressive. Another is a bit smaller but has a coppery tinge that is very attractive. I have no idea what specific names they are but a look at labels in the garden centre would give you an idea.

You may have to hunt about a bit, not all gc s have ferns. Future Forests in West Cork have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

Thank you for the replies so far

Sorry I should have said I need them to go in pots.

I had bought little pyramid trees in lidl but one side of each is almost dead. I probably should have rotated them to catch Day light but never thought of it

I will have a look at ferns, thank you

Ps I'm in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I think watering might be the key issue as opposed to the lack of light. Ferns would be a lovely choice but you would need to keep them watered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have just planted two olive trees in pots at the front door - two conifers I had in the pots for last 15 years just died off this year...no apparent reason and both died together last spring as growth began again.

Standard Olive - Olea Europaea

http://www.gardens4you.ie/index.php?/Fruit-and-Vegetables/Olive-Trees&gclid=CjwKCAjwzrrMBRByEiwArXcw2z1HKPj7_Jp66CpX2kYih2pv7IcRGjIFR4zkwq4Pf74hkoO1tjh2zRoCYE4QAvD_BwE

5fec6a9b4a3a492388498b6000190556--spanish-garden-mediterranean-garden.jpg

Advertisement