Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelors Walk Bus lane

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There is currently another much larger thread on this matter I think these two threads can be merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Stephen15 wrote: »
    There is currently another much larger thread on this matter I think these two threads can be merged

Why? So anyone that posts anything anti cyclist gets carded and thus silenced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

People live in town, you can't expect couriers to be banging down doors at all hours of the night to deliver parcels, some business don't even open till 8/9am, expecting couriers to finish drops in town before 7am isn't going to happen.

Couriers are not the issue its delivery vans and tour coaches. If tour coaches are picking people up they should do so outside of morning rush hour traffic.

Deliveries can be made at times outside of rush hours traffic also, in larger cities deliveries are dropped off early in the morning for this very reason.

I think in general Ireland needs to relook at its working and business hours. The Typical 9-5 is changing but the greater flexibility with work and business hours the less pressure on our transport links at these crucial times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

On a purely selfish note, it knocked about 15 mins off my commute home yesterday, but I doubt thats a fair reflection with Holidays and the kids off school

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sorry for bumping the old thread but this bus gate is beginning to annoy me, it's causing mayhem purely because drivers ignore the bus lane and use whatever lane is moving then switch lanes when theirs stops moving. It's a hazard and needs to be enforced, a few hours of enforcement a week from RPU would help this thing work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Sorry for bumping the old thread but this bus gate is beginning to annoy me, it's causing mayhem purely because drivers ignore the bus lane and use whatever lane is moving then switch lanes when theirs stops moving. It's a hazard and needs to be enforced, a few hours of enforcement a week from RPU would help this thing work

Well said, and can I add that yellow box where the 2 lights are? Busses and taxis go when their light is green but they cannot cross O'CB and then block the box when some might want to go up the inside lane to turn left up O'C St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Had to drive that whole side of quays from Christ church bridge yesterday. F me. What a mess of a system. stop.. 1 metre... stop... 1 metre.. stop.. Wasn't even rush hour. Wanted to get out and walk and do my best Michael Douglas 'Falling Down' impersonation :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Alicano wrote: »
    Wanted to get out and walk
    Sounds like it's doing its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

use whatever lane is moving then switch lanes when theirs stops moving.

This is typical driver behaviour in Ireland - same as on the motorways, dual cardge ways etc

Complete waste of time for everyone (except one or two of the lane jumpers) but adds significant more time to others as they expect and brake for those squeezing back in.

as a bus commuter this has been great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

And as a pedestrian, much easier to get across the Quays there, and added bonus of ocasionally seeing the Guards doing smartarses in private cars driving down the bus lane.

And as a pedestrian, much easier to get across the Quays there, and added bonus of ocasionally seeing the Guards doing smartarses in private cars driving down the bus lane.

not often enough

cameras and 100 % prosecution please

as a bus commuter this has been great

The point I was making was it could be so much better. Most of my observation has been from sitting in the rolling donut there :rolleyes: or on my bike, cars and taxis darting from lane to lane have made it fairly dangerous and the Guards need to be far more visible enforcing the bus gate for it to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I guess anyone who believes private car (usually with a single occupant) should be the primary mode for driving into the city will be frustrated with the revised set up.

For everyone else, it now means you have two dedicated traffic lanes where single vehicles carrying up to 50-80 passengers can be ferried into the city centre way more efficiently without having to stop/start every minute. 1000s of public transport users benefit for every handful of private car commuters/shoppers/day trippers etc who are disgruntled. I think the greater good is the key point here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

We talking about the same street? I drive up the quays every day, and only once have I seen the Gardaí there nabbing those in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

ongarboy wrote: »
    I guess anyone who believes private car (usually with a single occupant) should be the primary mode for driving into the city will be frustrated with the revised set up.

For everyone else, it now means you have two dedicated traffic lanes where single vehicles carrying up to 50-80 passengers can be ferried into the city centre way more efficiently without having to stop/start every minute. 1000s of public transport users benefit for every handful of private car commuters/shoppers/day trippers etc who are disgruntled. I think the greater good is the key point here!

Indeed. I cycle the quays every day and it is a lot better than it used to be, although that's not saying much. It can still be very hazardous some days.

The north quays should be closed to private traffic, bar exceptions for deliveries and people with mobility issues.

Indeed. I cycle the quays every day and it is a lot better than it used to be, although that's not saying much. It can still be very hazardous some days.

The north quays should be closed to private traffic, bar exceptions for deliveries and people with mobility issues.

Jumping off a 50ft wall is safer than jumping from a 60ft wall :p

I have still found the Quays horrendous on the bike and it's mainly down to drivers having no lane discipline. Especially from just after the Four Courts up to O'Connell Bridge

Advertisement