Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipped my PC– thing won’t start – excuse f

Options
  • 09-08-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I just moved over to Manchester, I was waiting for my PC to arrive so I went looking for a 2nd hand monitor and a second hand 980ti to spend my relocation expenses on :). I was about to get a second-hand Asus ROG swift G-sync 27” IPS panel but the sale fell through, which it was a blessing in disguise as my PC didn’t survive the journey!

Turn it on – nothing happens, is this likely to be the PSU? Going to look into how to start up a PSU without connecting it to anything.
    Anyway, I’m due an upgrade, but instead of upgrading the screen and GPU I’m going to have to upgrade the more boring parts first :(
    I have 440 GBP to spare now for upgrades and wondering what to spend on. I’d have more over the coming months.
    I game (Overwatch, Witcher 3 etc) but I do a lot of office work and some very taxing scientific programs. I am also getting into big data analyses using R so I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 1600, and upgrading a couple of years later to something else on the AM4 platform.
    Here is what I have in the PC that won’t start built in 2013:

Corsair TX650 W (this was old when I got it)
    Really old massive Corsair case that has been heavily battered and modded beyond recognition
    i5 3570K (not overclocked)
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Asrock z77 extreme4 ATX[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]8GB DDR3 G.Skillz 1600 MHz RAM[/font]

MSI twin frozr GTX780 Ti
    128 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD
    Some old 500 GB Seagate HD
    LG TN 60Hz 1080p Screen that I’m sick of looking at

I was going to start off with a PSU and nice case that would do me for at least 5 years. I know power consumption has come down over the years but the ryzen platform with those new AMD GPUs look sort of power hungry
    Next step would be mobo, RAM ad CPU. Mobo would require some bells and whistles like good sound and a connection for those fancy non-sata SSDs and be a good upgrade path to a future ryzen 7

I would probably wait to get a GPU and screen. Websites would have to be UK, so Scan/Amazon? Prices are going up here due to Brexit so no point in waiting too long.

Comments

Advertisement