Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop with 16GB RAM

• 09-08-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a well-built laptop that doesn't cost the earth. I need the laptop to run VMs mostly for networking and security testing. I've read bad things about the Dell XPS range on here. I've also seen people recommend Thinkpads also are they good? Apple laptops are too expensive when you add the 16G of Ram requirements to them. For the CPU if I can get 4 cores that would be great with either i5 or an i7 processor.

I don't want to spend more than €1200.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Patww79 wrote: »

I suppose it will always depend on what you're going to be doing. But I would expect that machine to be plenty powerful for most tasks for a good number of years. Very good processor, great GPU for the money, and decent RAM options. And also helped by the fact that you can upgrade the storage and RAM on this machine. So in the chance that you need more memory you can simply add more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I suppose it will always depend on what you're going to be doing. But I would expect that machine to be plenty powerful for most tasks for a good number of years. Very good processor, great GPU for the money, and decent RAM options. And also helped by the fact that you can upgrade the storage and RAM on this machine. So in the chance that you need more memory you can simply add more.

This machine looks good for my needs once it supports virtualization. The fact that it can be upgraded is also a major bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, unfortunately the screens are just plain bad with terrible viewing angles. So if you're not looking at it absolutely dead on, it looks horrible.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

if you're looking at €1300 or so check the dell uk outlet. could maybe get a 6gb 1060 alienware laptop (more powerful than the lower memory models 2gb/3gb etc.) for that price. (note price is quoted ex vat on the outlet)

http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdfh1/campaigns/splitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

neonman wrote: »
    I've read bad things about the Dell XPS range on here.

The newest models from what I gather are highly recommended around here and are often touted as the best windows laptops you can buy by a lot of computing review websites.
    Patww79 wrote:

Did you get it off the outlet? For how much? Considering this exact purchase myself after next pay-day.

• Advertisement

Advertisement