Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goalkeeper Gloves

• 09-08-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Any goalkeepers out there who can recommend sites for gloves?

I'm aware of the likes of justkeepers, prodirect, unisport. Wondering if there any one that I have missed?

I would also be grateful of some guidance on what to wear for Irish type weather. Its actually for the young lad and not for me.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Thread from last month

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Thread from last month

Thanks for that.

Was hoping for something online as I'm in Cork and the selection in sports shops are not fantastic. Probably should have said that in my initial email.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

What age is your son?

PhilipsR wrote: »
    What age is your son?

He'll be playing u15. Playing at a high enough level.

largepants wrote: »
    He'll be playing u15. Playing at a high enough level.

Ok cool.

To be honest, I would not bother going with the top brands such as Sells as there is not much of a quality difference between that and the rung below.

I'd recommend just4keepers which I think is run by Matt Gregg (ex-LOI goalkeeper) over here. The gloves are of good quality and would hold for 2-3 months at least.

The choice of glove completely depends on your son's preferences to be honest. But what I would recommend would be a set of gloves for wet weather and a set of gloves for dry weather. The key thing in order to keep gloves and ensure you get the best and longest use out of them, is to make sure that the newest gloves are not used for training, instead gloves that have been worn for matches are used for training. There's no need to use new gloves for training sessions.

Not sure if that is too much for a 15 year old but depends on the level he's playing.

• Advertisement

Ok cool.

To be honest, I would not bother going with the top brands such as Sells as there is not much of a quality difference between that and the rung below.

I'd recommend just4keepers which I think is run by Matt Gregg (ex-LOI goalkeeper) over here. The gloves are of good quality and would hold for 2-3 months at least.

The choice of glove completely depends on your son's preferences to be honest. But what I would recommend would be a set of gloves for wet weather and a set of gloves for dry weather. The key thing in order to keep gloves and ensure you get the best and longest use out of them, is to make sure that the newest gloves are not used for training, instead gloves that have been worn for matches are used for training. There's no need to use new gloves for training sessions.

Not sure if that is too much for a 15 year old but depends on the level he's playing.

Wow.

Really appreciate the time you took to respond. He's easy going enough but I'd prefer if he settled on a particular glove for the time being.

He suggested just4keepers but I knew no one that had used them so wasnt aware of how good or otherwise they were. Now that I've got a neutral opinion I'd be happy enough for him to use them.

Thanks again for the reply. There is a lot of choice out there.

One last question - how can you differentiate between wet weather and dry weather gloves?

Wow.

Really appreciate the time you took to respond. He's easy going enough but I'd prefer if he settled on a particular glove for the time being.

He suggested just4keepers but I knew no one that had used them so wasnt aware of how good or otherwise they were. Now that I've got a neutral opinion I'd be happy enough for him to use them.

Thanks again for the reply. There is a lot of choice out there.

One last question - how can you differentiate between wet weather and dry weather gloves?

I've used J4K for years and have always been satisfied. When younger there basically wasn't any selection and I was using Sells which was 60-70 quid a go.

The gloves will actually be sold as dry and wet. Your son will notice the difference in the grip when the ground/ball is soaking compared to when it is drier.

Wet use: http://www.goalkeepergloves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=52&product_id=214
    Dry use: http://www.goalkeepergloves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=52&product_id=215

Just make sure your son is completely happy with the feel and size of the gloves. Any place will allow a return once there's been no use of the glove.

I've used J4K for years and have always been satisfied. When younger there basically wasn't any selection and I was using Sells which was 60-70 quid a go.

The gloves will actually be sold as dry and wet. Your son will notice the difference in the grip when the ground/ball is soaking compared to when it is drier.

Wet use: http://www.goalkeepergloves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=52&product_id=214
    Dry use: http://www.goalkeepergloves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=52&product_id=215

Just make sure your son is completely happy with the feel and size of the gloves. Any place will allow a return once there's been no use of the glove.

Great stuff. Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

No probs. If you have any further Qs, drop me a PM, I'll be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

As you probably already know, buy gloves online and not directly from stores here in Ireland - minimum selection and crazy prices. The best site for me is Prodirectsoccer. A HUGE range of gloves and lots of cheap good gloves (I bought a pair of Sells gloves for training for 12 euro. They ended up being so good I wore them for matches!). Other sites that are good; justkeepers, greatsave and mandmdirect. Sometimes going directly to the manufacturers site is good too for some sales, like sells and selsport. There are also some great independant gloves out there too, though I hvent tried them yet, like insanity gloves and MG GK (from NI).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Would also vouch for Sells. ProDirect do sales and 3 for 2 sales. From trying out different gloves styles I liked Roll Finger cut, felt there was more contact with the ball due to tighter fitting on each individual finger. Thought more classic cuts where a bit ~blunt and loose fitting - with less control if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

franglan wrote: »
    Would also vouch for Sells. ProDirect do sales and 3 for 2 sales. From trying out different gloves styles I liked Roll Finger cut, felt there was more contact with the ball due to tighter fitting on each individual finger. Thought more classic cuts where a bit ~blunt and loose fitting - with less control if that makes sense.

Was going to mention this.

OP says playing high enough level soon, I know when I was 15 playing in goals at highest schoolboy level I had my gloves picked and my preference. Is your son new to goalkeeping or?

Granted its over 10 years since I was playing, from keeping losely in touch seems to the same choices. Preference to either as above, loose fitting wide gloves that the idea appears to be providing a larger frame of the hand for saves and crunch saves, or a tighter fit.

I always preferred the tighter fit as I was strong catching the ball and preferred having that flexibility in my fingers.

Sondico were my brand of choice. They used to be in shops so was handy for me to buy but towards the end used to have to buy from ebay.

As mentioned above for training gloves, I use to go into the season with a fresh pair that I'd use pretty much all season for training. Then I'd have a pair for dry weather and wet weather. They were the same brand just different gripping. Would pretty much get near the entire season out of a pair.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was going to mention this.

OP says playing high enough level soon, I know when I was 15 playing in goals at highest schoolboy level I had my gloves picked and my preference. Is your son new to goalkeeping or?

Granted its over 10 years since I was playing, from keeping losely in touch seems to the same choices. Preference to either as above, loose fitting wide gloves that the idea appears to be providing a larger frame of the hand for saves and crunch saves, or a tighter fit.

I always preferred the tighter fit as I was strong catching the ball and preferred having that flexibility in my fingers.

Sondico were my brand of choice. They used to be in shops so was handy for me to buy but towards the end used to have to buy from ebay.

As mentioned above for training gloves, I use to go into the season with a fresh pair that I'd use pretty much all season for training. Then I'd have a pair for dry weather and wet weather. They were the same brand just different gripping. Would pretty much get near the entire season out of a pair.

No has been a goalkeeper for 5 years I'd say. All along he was changing gloves but last season he kind of stuck with adidas and at the moment he is wearing them. As far as I can remember they cost about €80 but they were a Christmas present so I didn't mind spending that bit extra.

Now he will need a new pair(s) and I was just looking at long term options because it looks like it might be his sport of choice. I couldn't afford to be paying €80 for a pair of gloves every time but would be happy enough to pay up to €50. I'm not very au fait with the styles/abbreviations but the posts above have been a great help.

He hasn't chosen anything yet but I'd like to get him sorted within the next week/10 days. He likes the tighter fit so it's looks like roll fingers fulfils that. Deciding whether to go with a glove for all conditions or separate gloves for wet and dry conditions is where I'm having difficulty choosing. There also seems to be abbreviations which I'm having difficulty deciphering.

So all in all he hasn't really settled on any particular glove as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My sons going U15 aswell..has been wearing Precision for years with finger saves....using the J4K gloves last year and prefers them. They are better wearing which is good for my pocket and he says they grip just aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If he trains on all weather, get him gloves that are made for this purpose otherwise your expnsive match day gloves will be worn down in a few weeks to the finger

No has been a goalkeeper for 5 years I'd say. All along he was changing gloves but last season he kind of stuck with adidas and at the moment he is wearing them. As far as I can remember they cost about €80 but they were a Christmas present so I didn't mind spending that bit extra.

Now he will need a new pair(s) and I was just looking at long term options because it looks like it might be his sport of choice. I couldn't afford to be paying €80 for a pair of gloves every time but would be happy enough to pay up to €50. I'm not very au fait with the styles/abbreviations but the posts above have been a great help.

He hasn't chosen anything yet but I'd like to get him sorted within the next week/10 days. He likes the tighter fit so it's looks like roll fingers fulfils that. Deciding whether to go with a glove for all conditions or separate gloves for wet and dry conditions is where I'm having difficulty choosing. There also seems to be abbreviations which I'm having difficulty deciphering.

So all in all he hasn't really settled on any particular glove as yet.

I'd highly recommend just4keepers if €50 is your budget and he wants roll fingers. The high end gloves are a rip off. I remember buying Sells when I was 14/15 and they were €50 a pop. There's no reason why the prices have risen so much. Moved to using J4K about 4/5 years ago and never looked back. Same quality and cheaper price!

But if you go with €80 pairs, you could make them last, just by ensuring that an old pair is being used for training. As it means the gloves would be only used 20ish times a year.

I used to get by with 2 pairs when younger and not buying myself. One pair at the start of the season and one pair as a present at Christmas.

I'd highly recommend just4keepers if €50 is your budget and he wants roll fingers. The high end gloves are a rip off. I remember buying Sells when I was 14/15 and they were €50 a pop. There's no reason why the prices have risen so much. Moved to using J4K about 4/5 years ago and never looked back. Same quality and cheaper price!

But if you go with €80 pairs, you could make them last, just by ensuring that an old pair is being used for training. As it means the gloves would be only used 20ish times a year.

I used to get by with 2 pairs when younger and not buying myself. One pair at the start of the season and one pair as a present at Christmas.

Ok I bit the bullet and went with J4K. Thanks for all your advice.

Went with http://www.goalkeepergloves.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=52&product_id=215

Thanks to everyone else for their input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Great choice! All the good keepers wear all white gloves😉 To extend the life of them get the young fella to soak them is lukewarm water with a bit of suds after match-days, bit of a hand wash and rinse them in cold water. Dry them in an old towel until match day (stay away from direct heat as you'll dry out the gloves too quick).

Advertisement