Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Liability Insurance for individuals

• 09-08-2017 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I am organising open water swimming event in a few weeks time. It's not a competition or a race but its encouraging people to get together to swim in local river. A bit like the park run of swimming. I have publicly advertised the event and we are expecting a good crowd. I am concerned that as the event organiser I will be held responsible if anything goes wrong? or is it a case of a group of individuals coming together and taking their own personal risk?

People go swimming in the forty foot all the time without insurgence so I feel that this would be the same? Or would I need to get people to sign disclaimers before they start swimming?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Depends what you view yourself as doing. If you are just getting a bunch of like minded individuals together to swim its fine. If these people view you as training them then they may have issue. Are you charging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If, as you say, the event is designed to attract a crowd either to watch or participate, you should get Public Liability Insurance. A good broker can sort it for you. When there is a specific event being organised by an individual or committee, that's where you start opening yourself up to being liable for any incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

peteb2 wrote:
    Depends what you view yourself as doing. If you are just getting a bunch of like minded individuals together to swim its fine. If these people view you as training them then they may have issue. Are you charging?

No training, coaching or money being exchanged. People can do what they want when they get there but as its open water swimming it is safer for all to swim together and close to shore and so i will encourage this. literally its about getting a bunch of like minded individuals together to go out for a swim in a public space.

I've been told that I will not get organiser public liability cover without risk assesments etc being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

panda100 wrote: »
    No training, coaching or money being exchanged. People can do what they want when they get there but as its open water swimming it is safer for all to swim together and close to shore and so i will encourage this. literally its about getting a bunch of like minded individuals together to go out for a swim in a public space.

I've been told that I will not get organiser public liability cover without risk assesments etc being done.

Because spectators and participants will be there specifically to see, or participate in, this event, you are exposed to a claim. E.G. Somebody might allege that their little Tarquin was stamped on by a spectator because of poorly organised crowd control. Trust me, it happens.

Ask a good broker about cover/assessments. It will only cost you the price of a call

Advertisement