Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scutch grass problem

Options
  • 09-08-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem with what appears to be scutch grass in front lawn. See attached pic of lawn.

I recently sprayed with dicophar which seems to have controlled all the other weeds.

Any advice on how to tackle the scutch grass? Must be 50 individual clumps. Spray each one with roundup? Dig each up?

I will be aerating the lawn shortly and seeding some bare patches

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If it is scutch, they are all joined together underground by long white runners. Which spread through the soil and come up everywhere.
    i have foiught with scutch for many years and in my opinion it is ineradicable. You would have to dig it up and remove every root, every last inch. (impossible)
    The best way to contain it in a lawn is simply to keep mowing. You could try spraying each clump, it will kill them, but also kill everything else, and you might miss a few blades. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

I think that it is Annual Meadow grass.

Some advice here:

http://www.turfgrass.co.uk/index.php/knowledge-base/view_article_details/24/?c_id=1

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Thanks for that.

Will proceed and hope for the best that it isn't scutch grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Quite easy to deal with but takes a bit of effort, slash the clumps with a half moon edging iron just before you cut the grass. Sorry its not Annual Meadow grass,

Edit> Should have said what you have is Yorkshire Fog some info on control here.

It does not look at all like annual meadow grass it is scutch grass by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

I would definitely dig up that lawn. It is labour intensive, plenty of sweat needed, prob need a mini skip, but if you do so you can reseed and have a much nicer lawn. I dug up my parents front lawn and my own back garden due to moss/scutch. Turned the soil first, threw out any clumps/roots of scutch/moss etc, and then added some bags of topsoil from woodies, finally seeded. You will be amazed the amount of bricks, slabs, stones underneath the lawn that you'll need rid of too. It was worth all the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    I would definitely dig up that lawn. It is labour intensive, plenty of sweat needed, prob need a mini skip, but if you do so you can reseed and have a much nicer lawn. I dug up my parents front lawn and my own back garden due to moss/scutch. Turned the soil first, threw out any clumps/roots of scutch/moss etc, and then added some bags of topsoil from woodies, finally seeded. You will be amazed the amount of bricks, slabs, stones underneath the lawn that you'll need rid of too. It was worth all the effort.

Will see how it goes. That would be the last resort at the moment tbh

Advertisement