Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long weekend hiking in Europe-where to?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I'm looking for ideas for a long weekend in March/early April European break to someplace that offers good day hikes, adventure activities, scenery. Really after 3 days of mountains but I'm struggling to find options without having local knowledge of what's possible.

I've no interest in the UK.

Any ideas and specifics greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

If you are hiking for the weekend, near to an airport is essential
    Airports
    Bergarmo (twice daily Dub flights)
    From Bgy , 60 mins drive to Carona , hiking directly from village, there are Ski lifts, but lift not necessary to hike (sentiero) as trails from village

Further Madonna Di Camp. or Commezzadura
    Commezzadura and MDC, Pinzolo same mountain range, huge range of lifts (Dolomites )
    most hotels in Commezzadura will have a minibus to bring you to lift (Daolosa) 5 mins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'll suggest Liechtenstein.

Day 1 - fly into Zurich; train to Sargans - very scenic in itself; it'll whet your appetite - and bus on to Vaduz. Take a photo of the detailed hiking map in the city centre; it's way better than you'll get in the tourist offices - and then on to somewhere like Triesenberg, which basically skips the less interesting lowlands for Day 2's hike.

Day 2 - walk from Triesenberg to Malbun, not far from the width of the whole country. Starts off as Alpine meadow leading up into the mountains; at the top, you go through a tunnel and emerge at the top of the Steg pass - google photos; it's stunning. Add in cow bells as the only sound too. Then on to Malbun for a meal, a pint and a bus back. Would take 5/6 hours.

Day 3 - if you have to fly back this day, I think the above hike would be worth the trip anyway. Otherwise, if your trip is 3 full days, there's plenty of other hikes, particularly in the north of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kob29 wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas for a long weekend in March/early April European break to someplace that offers good day hikes, adventure activities, scenery. Really after 3 days of mountains but I'm struggling to find options without having local knowledge of what's possible.

I've no interest in the UK.

Any ideas and specifics greatly appreciated.

If you're ruling out Scotland, are you not ruling out one of the most accessible places in that you can be in Glasgow or Edinburgh early on a Friday/Saturday morning, get into wonderful mountains in an hour or 2 like the Trossachs, and hike right through all the days and depart on a late flight back Monday evening? You'd have daily fights at all hours for starters. Know a few from here who do Munro bagging because of the ease of getting to Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Exodus brochure will give lots of ideas. There will be snow at that time of the year in much of the Alps, but you could give it a go anyway. The Canaries might be an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwsma3ylQbQ

Some snow is usual - but not as much as in the video !

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Are Am Eye wrote:
    With pay by weight disposal coming in we may start celebrating king billy in the local park here.

Corsica is a beautiful place, loads of outdoor activities to do...check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

No interest in England and I've done several areas of Scotland.

I'll check out Exodus. I'd love the Canaries but it's too far for a long weekend.

There are no direct flights from Ireland to Corsica from what I can see :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Fly to Malaga, some lovely sections of the GR249 nearby, good transport links and cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

kob29 wrote:
    There are no direct flights from Ireland to Corsica from what I can see

Fly to Nice, then get the ferry to Bastia for like 50 euro. It's 6 hours though but just get plenty good food and few drinks at a supermarket and have a feast. That's what we did. Im going back there on 6th September for the 2nd time this year. One thing you won't find in Corsica is droves of Irish and English tourists. A lot of French there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Corsica is a beautiful place, loads of outdoor activities to do...check it out!

Plus 1 - I was there in 1997. Beautiful island and very quiet away from the coasts. Rugged mountains in the interior with good trails.

Or perhaps the Sierra Nevada in southern spain - accessible from Malaga. Beautiful mountain villages with interesting trails in a suprisingly green and fertile environment. Plus it has the highest mountain - on mainland spain. Although it might a bit cold and snowy in March and April. I was there in August 1996 and there was still a lot of snow on Mulhacen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Ryanair to Memmingen.

Rent a car and drive to the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Climb Zugspitze. Highest mountain in Germany. (2962m)

There are some incredible via ferrata routes up it.

https://hikingmadness.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/5-routes-up-to-zugspitze-germanys-highest-peak/

Advertisement