Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router, Homeplug & Switch

Options
  • 09-08-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm currently with Virgin Media and I have the white Compal router but this is what I'm wondering.

Can I have the following
    • My router running a Cat6E cable into a homeplug upstairs
    • The second homeplug downstairs running into a hub/switch

See attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Huza91 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm currently with Virgin Media and I have the white Compal router but this is what I'm wondering.

Can I have the following
    • My router running a Cat6E cable into a homeplug upstairs
    • The second homeplug downstairs running into a hub/switch

See attached

Yes, but speed will be dependent on the house wiring. (use a Gb switch and not hub)
    So it might work very well; not so well, or even not be usable ........ it all depends on how well the home plugs work over your wiring.

I don't think there is a standard called Cat6e .... Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, & Cat7 (IIRC) .... open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Yes, but speed will be dependent on the house wiring. (use a Gb switch and not hub)
    So it might work very well; not so well, or even not be usable ........ it all depends on how well the home plugs work over your wiring.

I don't think there is a standard called Cat6e .... Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a, & Cat7 (IIRC) .... open to correction.

Thanks for the reply - I went and got a Netgear GS308 off amazon for €23!!!

Absolute steal, it arrived this morning so I will do some network tests before/after and let you know how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

nothing wrong with your plans here and will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Thanks for the reply. I got the switch and it's working perfectly :)

Advertisement