Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler's weird "imaginatory friend!"

Options
  • 09-08-2017 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

My nearly 3 year old has majorly attached to the strangest thing - a red plastic box - the "big red box"! He talks about it when heading home. Toys and "big red box". If can't find it, goes looking for it. He has started sitting it up on the sofa beside him when watching TV. Like WTF? :confused: He has teddies that he likes aswell but has not attached anything like to this thing. This box is quite large, lke a toy box with handles so he drags it around with him, Another weird one he had before this was a little plastic ball with a cat on it and the "cat ball " went everywhere for a while....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

That's definitely an unusual choice but don't worry about it. Transitional objects (like blankies, imaginary friends, special teddies, etc.) are healthy in developmental psychology. They help a child transition from dependence to independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

That's definitely an unusual choice but don't worry about it. Transitional objects (like blankies, imaginary friends, special teddies, etc.) are healthy in developmental psychology. They help a child transition from dependance to independance.

yeah, I get blankies etc... but this is so ridiculous! He even said sorry to it when he knocked it over!! And sometimes if I delay in locating it, there are tears! Yes, teddies, i get....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It's adorable. Anyone can love a teddy! Make sure you take photos of him with it to embarrass him when he is an adult!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My brother loved a sewing box once, I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Probably just being friends with the dark entity living in it....

Joke¡!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

This is so adorable, made my heart melt :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,686 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On a different thread... I'd be thinking... ouch!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

odyssey06 wrote:
    On a different thread... I'd be thinking... ouch!

We made sure to keep it empty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 incaseiforget

Would not worry one bit. Seriously cute though! One of mine had twig for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Would not worry one bit. Seriously cute though! One of mine had twig for a while.

Oh my heart can't take it! So cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My eldest used to play with her friend "B B"....poor divil used to get the head eaten off her if she didn't conform to that particular days rules!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 incaseiforget

neonsofa wrote: »
    Oh my heart can't take it! So cute!

Yep! Had to tuck it in at night ..the works! Needless to say we had "stunt doubles" !

• Registered Users Posts: 30,686 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I was very attached to a red stapler at that age. :o God knows why my parents would have given a stapler to a toddler to play with, but once I got my hands on it they couldn't take it off me. I'm holding it lovingly in every photo taken of me when I was around 2/3 years old (apparently I'd throw a tantrum if they ever tried to take it off me for a minute to take the photo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Greendaisy

My little brother used sing with a cardboard box (guitar) under his arm..... but he had to be out of sight and hidden. He preferred under the stairs!!

He loved that box....for years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There's definitely an extra resident in our house that my husband and I can't see!However our three year old assures that he/she is there (totally creepy at times).She has also become very attached to inanimate objects off and on, it comes and goes.
    I kind of run with it and hope for the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

I was very attached to a red stapler at that age. :o God knows why my parents would have given a stapler to a toddler to play with, but once I got my hands on it they couldn't take it off me. I'm holding it lovingly in every photo taken of me when I was around 2/3 years old (apparently I'd throw a tantrum if they ever tried to take it off me for a minute to take the photo!)

Okay, my little lad is not the only weirdo so ...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

My daughter loves stones. Not nice smooth ones, I could nearly understand that, but random bits of gravel. She talks to them and rubs them. We get given gifts of them. We call her Maka Paka, like that character in In The Night Garden who polishes rocks. Weird kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

My now well balanced 17 yo daughter had a family of imaginary friends who regularly drove behind us , which was all fine until one day I was reversing into a hard to find parking spot in Blanchardstown SC, when she started crying because I was about to drive over them as they were already parked there, the search for parking had to continue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement