Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

Finally got out for a good long first flight yesterday. Also gave me an opportunity to mess with Sony Vegas Pro 14 which was on offer for $20 over the holidays. I sped up some of the footage to make it a bit more interesting and cut out a few clips of particularly dodgy camera work, but no visual processing done otherwise.

I have to say, it's a joy to fly. There's a moment of buttock-clenching terror as the machine first disappears from your field of sight and hearing, but then you focus on the video feed from the phone and learn to trust it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I have to say, it's a joy to fly. There's a moment of buttock-clenching terror as the machine first disappears from your field of sight and hearing, but then you focus on the video feed from the phone and learn to trust it.

Haha! Nice video. Looks great for your first edit. Now you can see how fun, fast and easy this quad is to fly. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Finally got out for a good long first flight yesterday. Also gave me an opportunity to mess with Sony Vegas Pro 14 which was on offer for $20 over the holidays. I sped up some of the footage to make it a bit more interesting and cut out a few clips of particularly dodgy camera work, but no visual processing done otherwise.

Ha!! SBS was there in that exact spot last Saturday when the river was in full flood got great footage, it's a fantastic place to learn how to fly a drone. I only live about 500 Mt away on the other side of the racecourse if your interested to meet up at the weekends let us know, I don't have the mi drone mines a 3dr solo it would be interesting to see the differences between the two let me know if your interested in meeting up so cheers

Ha!! SBS was there in that exact spot last Saturday when the river was in full flood got great footage, it's a fantastic place to learn how to fly a drone. I only live about 500 Mt away on the other side of the racecourse if your interested to meet up at the weekends let us know, I don't have the mi drone mines a 3dr solo it would be interesting to see the differences between the two let me know if your interested in meeting up so cheers

I might take you up on that! Give me another little while to practice until I'm sure I'm not a hazard to others and I'll drop you a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Any sign of the missing Drones? (November people)

Nada from my end.
    DATE STAUS OF SHIPMENT

2017-11-12 00:00:00 Parcel departure in Shenzhen Sorting Centre

• Advertisement

Nada from my end.

I think when the deliveries get into the UK hub, they sort them and send them individually so I'm guessing they would send it back if you got a refund. You might be lucky though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

tedpan wrote: »
    I think when the deliveries get into the UK hub, they sort them and send them individually so I'm guessing they would send it back if you got a refund. You might be lucky though!

Im not bothered either way :cool:just wondering if they actually land.

Fiasco at this stage

Fiasco at this stage

Total! Christmas totally messed everything up. Deliveries were taking 1-3 weeks previously. Asian shipments are still not back to normal, gearbest support or lack there of doesn't help either..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

Nada from my end.

Mine arrived last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Julez

My drone (ordered 18 Nov) finally arrived yesterday. No Customs duty thankfully. It's a (very) late xmas present for my younger brother so wont get to see it in action until the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I must say, I am shocked. My drone arrived yesterday!!!

Ordered on 4th Jan, shipped 6th Jan, arrived 22nd Jan :o

Tracking information is absolutely useless.

For those that received their drones - did they come with the battery installed in the body? (mine did)

jim salter wrote:
    Ordered on 4th Jan, shipped 6th Jan, arrived 22nd Jan

Great news!
    jim salter wrote:
    For those that received their drones - did they come with the battery installed in the body? (mine did)

Nope, it wasn't installed in mine. Maybe things have changed in six months..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

keltoms05 wrote: »
    Mine arrived last week

Same as mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

What's the best site to track the drone? Ordered mine 12th Dec. Nothing showing on the app yet under tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

jim salter wrote: »
    I must say, I am shocked. My drone arrived yesterday!!!

Ordered on 4th Jan, shipped 6th Jan, arrived 22nd Jan :o

Tracking information is absolutely useless.

Installed in mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

yorlum11 wrote: »
    What's the best site to track the drone? Ordered mine 12th Dec. Nothing showing on the app yet under tracking.

I'm using https://track24.net

I've had an unusual update to my tracking...

244xmrr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just curious, why would this drone be better than a standalone one that you fit your own camera to, like this one for €199 ?

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm3480us.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwcq9jNzu2AIVhbftCh3Faw9eEAQYASABEgK9fvD_BwE

The reviews for this model (X380) suggest it has one of the longest flight times at circa 30 mins

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just curious, why would this drone be better than a standalone one that you fit your own camera to, like this one for €199 ?

https://www.tomtop.com/p-rm3480us.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwcq9jNzu2AIVhbftCh3Faw9eEAQYASABEgK9fvD_BwE

The reviews for this model (X380) suggest it has one of the longest flight times at circa 30 mins

I suppose for lots of people who don't have a 4k sports camera to attach to a drone it wouldn't make sense to buy a drone that needs a separate camera. Also there is no gimbal supplied with the drone above. Doesn't look like it can display a First Person View, but perhaps that would depend on the camera you pair with it and it's features. It's range is about a quarter of what the xiaomi is capable of too.

Bare in mind that there is now a gimbal available for the xiaomi that will allow you to use the camera from the drone as a stabilised 4k handheld video camera. Pretty attractive feature for those without a gopro.

I haven't been following this thread fully, but just so I know would either of those two drones (the one I mentioned and the one in this thread) require the license to fly due to the weight/range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I've had an unusual update to my tracking...

244xmrr.jpg

Got the same message today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I've been following this thread for a while. Really tempted to buy it! A few questions if anyone could help.

1. How difficult is it to operate? I've had very cheap RC quadcopters to get the hang of it. Obviously this would be much better in terms of performance but how long will it take to get flying long distances with it.

2. I plan on using PayPal. How covered am I if it does not arrive? Will gear best/paypay refund?

3. Anyone order recently and get it delivered in a few weeks? I've seen people waited months due to xmas. Would I be better off holding off for delivery backlogs to clear?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Regarding the questions about the drone - this thread is 48 pages long, have you looked at the footage of the drone?

You will NOT get anything like this drone for €350 delivered, at this moment in time, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

and this is coming from some one who had issues with gearbest and my original drone ..

So, needs a license to fly or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

mrcheez wrote: »
    So, needs a license to fly or no?

From here https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/default-document-library/drones-questions-and-answers-16-11-17.pdf?sfvrsn=3da404f3_2

11. Do I need to register my drone with the IAA?
    All drones over 1kg
    and drones operated above 15m (50ft),
    must be registered with the IAA.
    This inclu
    des the weight of the battery and all attached equipment. You can register your drone
    via the IAA website at www.iaa.ie/drones

And from here https://xiaomi-mi.com/drones/xiaomi-mi-drone-4k/

the weight is given as 1376g .

So it needs to be registered, if that's what you mean.

Unless ....

12. Do I need a qualification to operate a drone
    If you operate within the limits set in the Small Unmanned Aircraft (Drones)
    and Rockets Order,
    2015 (SI 563 of 2015), no qualification is required. However, to operate under Specific Operating
    Permission, a Pilot Competency Certificate is required. www.iaa.ie/dronesapplicationforms

So it depends what you're doing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

AS1890 wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for a while. Really tempted to buy it! A few questions if anyone could help.

1. How difficult is it to operate? I've had very cheap RC quadcopters to get the hang of it. Obviously this would be much better in terms of performance but how long will it take to get flying long distances with it.

2. I plan on using PayPal. How covered am I if it does not arrive? Will gear best/paypay refund?

3. Anyone order recently and get it delivered in a few weeks? I've seen people waited months due to xmas. Would I be better off holding off for delivery backlogs to clear?

Thanks!

Never flew a drone until I got this. Was a bit nervous at first but there was no need. Very easy to fly and control. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

So the drone and unboxed it, put it together and downloaded some firmware update.

Now when I try to connect my phone to the Remote Control it says it 'cannot update, no TF card detected" even though I have a 32gb card in the gimbal with 30gb free.

Anyone any ideas? Went to do my first flight today and couldn't get it off the ground because of this ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭11James11

Did you format the sd card using the app first ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Yes try and get the card formatted. My card when formatted uses the 'Ex Fat' file format system. Works fine for me.

Advertisement