Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Ordered 12th December and it has arrived today. Why did I agree to work tomorrow? Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Ordered 12th December and it has arrived today. Why did I agree to work tomorrow? Happy days.

The mind boggles... I ordered mine on the 7th of December and still no sign. Was your delivery with PanAsia? And what was the last update on your tracking if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

The mind boggles... I ordered mine on the 7th of December and still no sign. Was your delivery with PanAsia? And what was the last update on your tracking if you don't mind me asking?

My tracking only showed up today using track24. 18th January was the date it showed up as being in transit. Nothing until this morning as it was transited by an post. One guy here ordered his in January and it got delivered last week. It will get here. Seems they ship random batches together.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

yorlum11 wrote: »
    My tracking only showed up today using track24. 18th January was the date it showed up as being in transit. Nothing until this morning as it was transited by an post. One guy here ordered his in January and it got delivered last week. It will get here. Seems they ship random batches together.

Yeah, I ordered 4th Jan & was delivered 19th Jan.....go figure....

Had my first flight today. Crashed into a wall. Damaged all 4 blades....meh.

Concerned that I have done damage (apart from the props) as the drone is very unstable looking (but it was a bit windy this evening)

Have been flying a fair bit this evening (away from the house and walls) and got the hang of it quick enough. The camera quality does not appear to be what I expected tbh (that said I am using a cheap Moto E to connect and view...maybe when my phone arrives it will look better).

Does anyone know if there is a different view through the app (remove the curved edges)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

jim salter wrote:
    Had my first flight today. Crashed into a wall. Damaged all 4 blades....meh.

jim salter wrote:
    Concerned that I have done damage (apart from the props) as the drone is very unstable looking (but it was a bit windy this evening)

Hopefully it's alright, if the image is stable the drone should be fine.
    jim salter wrote:
    Have been flying a fair bit this evening (away from the house and walls) and got the hang of it quick enough. The camera quality does not appear to be what I expected tbh (that said I am using a cheap Moto E to connect and view...maybe when my phone arrives it will look better).

Viewing through the app will only show the low Res thumbnail. Really low quality to review the footage before editing.
    jim salter wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is a different view through the app (remove the curved edges)?

You need to take the SD card out and view it in a laptop, plugging directly into your phone will also work to view the high quality files.

Record in 1080p on the camera settings, it defaults to 4k, which are huge in size and hard to edit unless you have a decent pc.

tedpan wrote: »
    Hopefully it's alright, if the image is stable the drone should be fine.

Viewing through the app will only show the low Res thumbnail. Really low quality to review the footage before editing.

You need to take the SD card out and view it in a laptop, plugging directly into your phone will also work to view the high quality files.

Record in 1080p on the camera settings, it defaults to 4k, which are huge in size and hard to edit unless you have a decent pc.

Thanks, as always, for your input. Lack of knowledge on my part is half the problem.

Thought I had landed the drone and it wasn't 'landed' so started to 'drift towards the house and a pebble dashed wall. I panicked and didn't know what to do...the drone continued and all 4 rotors were damaged. Don't think there was much other damage as the drone was moving really really slowly. Just worries about the motors.

Another poster offered (earlier in the thread) to show me their drone - may take them up on it to make sure mine flies the same and sounds the same...

Other than that actually quite impressed with it - never, ever flown a drone before and is really easy (once you don't crash into a house :D)

jim salter wrote:
    Thought I had landed the drone and it wasn't 'landed' so started to 'drift towards the house and a pebble dashed wall. I panicked and didn't know what to do...the drone continued and all 4 rotors were damaged. Don't think there was much other damage as the drone was moving really really slowly. Just worries about the motors.

Yeah, that's when you let go of the sticks and it will hold position. It's a bit scary at first as you're not sure what's going to happen. I always recommend starting off in a field or park.

jim salter wrote:
    Another poster offered (earlier in the thread) to show me their drone - may take them up on it to make sure mine flies the same and sounds the same...

I don't know where you're located, I'm near Drogheda if you wanted to compare etc.

jim salter wrote:
    Other than that actually quite impressed with it - never, ever flown a drone before and is really easy (once you don't crash into a house )

Haha, yep it really is a lovely machine to fly, hopefully I'll be able to take mine out tomorrow!

Yeah, that's when you let go of the sticks and it will hold position. It's a bit scary at first as you're not sure what's going to happen. I always recommend starting off in a field or park.

I don't know where you're located, I'm near Drogheda if you wanted to compare etc.

Haha, yep it really is a lovely machine to fly, hopefully I'll be able to take mine out tomorrow!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I would be interested to compare some weekend.

I got some footage from the camera today and I really am no that impressed with it. That said the computer I'm viewing it on has not got a great GPU

jim salter wrote:
    I got some footage from the camera today and I really am no that impressed with it. That said the computer I'm viewing it on has not got a great GPU

Is the footage in 4k or 1080p. Most laptops over a few years old will have issues even playing back 4k.

jim salter wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I would be interested to compare some weekend.

No worries, let me know.

• Advertisement

Is the footage in 4k or 1080p. Most laptops over a few years old will have issues even playing back 4k.

No worries, let me know.

The footage was shot in 4K so looks very 'watery' on my laptop (it is an old Thinkpad)

Have no set it to 1080 100fps

jim salter wrote:
    Have no set it to 1080 100fps

Cool, 100FPS is great for slow shots. I'd recommend switching down to 30FPS, much easier to watch and edit. Brings the best results in everyday circumstances.

Here's a clip from today. Drogheda port - 1080p

I got a little night flight in just there (raw footage, no music etc)

https://youtu.be/FlzXp8fAobA

EDIT: Music added :D

jim salter wrote:
    I got a little night flight in just there (raw footage, no music etc)

Looks like it's flying well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

First flight today, it truly is incredibly easy to manoeuvre.
    A nervous wreck sending it any distance away.

Just wondering what is the furtherst any of you have gone height or distance wise?

Just wondering what is the furtherst any of you have gone height or distance wise?

I've been to 2kms down the coast of bettystown beach. Heights are dependent on your settings and local limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭J_V_C

Here's a clip from today. Drogheda port - 1080p

Wow. Buddy, lovely montage. Watched it a few times now.
    I note the dogs don't seem to be afraid of the drone, my dog is scared s***less, it's got so I can't take her with me on expeditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Any of the November orders arrive in the last week or so? Still waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Guys

This drone will land automatically at 15% - please be careful

I just done a test flight and when it landed I took the height / distance restriction off

Battery was about 45% and I said feck it see what it’s like from 200m

Sent her up and kept my eye on the juice - started descent around 30%

Lots of warnings etc controller buzzing about battery even though I was close to RTH and had the drone descending.

Anyway - at 15% it literally descended straight down from where it was - thankfully just above me

*phew*

• Advertisement

J_V_C wrote:
    Wow. Buddy, lovely montage. Watched it a few times now. I note the dogs don't seem to be afraid of the drone, my dog is scared s***less, it's got so I can't take her with me on expeditions.

Cheers, thanks very much! The dogs are strange, on leads they're fine and off one wants to attack it and the other runs and hides :D

JimFin wrote:
    Any of the November orders arrive in the last week or so? Still waiting!!

I would definitely open a PayPal dispute and contact Gearbest at this stage. Have they given any indication where it is? Think most people have got delivery..

lordlame wrote:
    Anyway - at 15% it literally descended straight down from where it was - thankfully just above me

Yep, I've had the auto land at 15% but was still able to move it to where I wanted it to land though.

Has anyone had an issue with their SD card?

Getting "your tf card may not work properly please replace" error every few minutes but then it works again. It's quite annoying. (I have ordered a U3 card)

Also getting frequent disconnections from the phone (that's probably because it's a crappy Moto E), have a new phone on order.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

What are the legalities of flying a drone? .. Is most of Dublin not Class C restricted airspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

rdavey14 wrote: »
    What are the legalities of flying a drone? .. Is most of Dublin not Class C restricted airspace

IAA rules

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

bromley52 wrote: »
    rdavey14 wrote: »

IAA rules
    Yeah I know but that's for non restricted airspace... Check the map and you'll see wheres restricted and I presume you'd get in a rake of trouble for breaking the rules
    https://www.flyryte.com/airspace/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

I've been to 2kms down the coast of bettystown beach. Heights are dependent on your settings and local limits.

I used to live in Laytown and would love to have had my drone for shots of the beach down there.

Would have come in handy for monitoring some of the knackers in Inse bay too ;)

smokingman wrote:
    Would have come in handy for monitoring some of the knackers in Inse bay too

Lol, Inse Bay is a beautiful place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Lol, Inse Bay is a beautiful place!

Not when I was living there. Was lovely when I moved in about 2001 but the 12 year old drug dealer next door and few burnt out cars pushed me out in 2006.

Hope it's better now though.

smokingman wrote:
    Not when I was living there. Was lovely when I moved in about 2001 but the 12 year old drug dealer next door and few burnt out cars pushed me out in 2006.

smokingman wrote:
    Hope it's better now though.

No, no! I totally agree with you, it's a kip. Was trying to be sarcastic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

jim salter wrote: »
    Has anyone had an issue with their SD card?

Getting "your tf card may not work properly please replace" error every few minutes but then it works again. It's quite annoying. (I have ordered a U3 card)

Also getting frequent disconnections from the phone (that's probably because it's a crappy Moto E), have a new phone on order.

I have to take out and put back in my SD card several times for it to read it. Very annoying

Advertisement