Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Monitor Questions

Options
  • 09-08-2017 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

How's €200 or so for this?

1440p Yamakasi Catleap Q270, second hand

http://touch.adverts.ie/monitors/yamakasi-catleap-q270/13253469

I'll be running it on an R9 290, I'm perfectly happy to run it at 1080p, prefer gameplay over graphics.

The IPS is surely nice though, and 27" is about the size I'd like.

For this money, is there anything better out there, or would I be better off going new?

Secondly, I've a BenQ 2450 (1080p60, 24" LCD Panel) that has a damaged LCD. Its about two years old.

The bottom inch or so of the screen is fecked. It works fine with PS4, I can play Overwatch, Furi, Bloodborne no problem but its a pita for Windows as the taskbar is obscured.

As its a monitor, there's no speakers and it needs speakers. There's also no HDMI port, although an adapter works.

They're worth about €120 new, would about €30-40 be fair enough as a secondary monitor or kids TV or something, if its even worth trying to sell. I'd rather not throw it out but I don't have room to use it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, tough one, as it's a good chunk of change to drop on a monitor that's maybe 4-5 years old.
    Having said that, a Yamakasi 27" + R9 290 is what I have and it really is a fantastic screen, IPS is the way to go for gorgeous colours.

Screen is reflective, not full mirror, but worth knowing if a nearby window might cause issues.

About the BenQ... if it's driving you nuts atm, you could flip the monitor upside down, or vesa mount upside down,
    and use windows display settings to flip the screen so taskbar is visible again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You can also set the taskbar to stick to one side of the screen rather than the bottom.

As an alternative as you said you were happy to run with 1080p, here is a new Freesync monitor which comes with a warranty.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-GF276bmipx-Monitor-FreeSync-EcoDisplay/dp/B01K4UKA00/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1502317743&sr=8-11&keywords=27inch+1440p+gaming+monitor

Not quite a 1440p monitor but plenty big enough. Its TN but dont knock TN for the viewing angles as your likely to be sat directly in front of it all the time. Something to consider in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have an old TV, 1366x768 so I'm not stuck on the Benq, but its a lump of a thing. Never thought of flipping the display upside down, not sure if its possible with this though, don't recall seeing any screws in the stand.

TN probably wouldn't suit, I do most of my Netflix etc watching on the PC from bed. This could be alleviated using a vesa mount I'd imagine, I'll look into it.

Leaning towards the Yamakasi, cheers for the recommendations though

Advertisement