Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impressing potential landlord

Options
  • 09-08-2017 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm a student hoping to sweet Jesus that the house I'm going to view soon will actually be rented out to me. I know the landlord is cool with students but I have gone through so many rejections this summer that my excitement at finding somewhere has been overshadowed by the possibility that he won't rent to us at the end of the day and I'll have to go back to the drawing board once again.

I really need some advice on how to impress the landlord. I'm a masters student who has rented before, gotten all deposits back fully, had a very good relationship with my other landlords and I am a very mature and competant tenant but none of this has been good enough for anyone else on Daft. The viewing is definitely happening but I'd really like to know if there is anything at all I can do for this landlord to pick me as a tenant. I know this is an incredibly odd and vague question but I'm viewing this as my last hope and need all the advice I can get. I appreciate all answerssss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

Bally20 wrote: »
    I'm a student hoping to sweet Jesus that the house I'm going to view soon will actually be rented out to me. I know the landlord is cool with students but I have gone through so many rejections this summer that my excitement at finding somewhere has been overshadowed by the possibility that he won't rent to us at the end of the day and I'll have to go back to the drawing board once again.

I really need some advice on how to impress the landlord. I'm a masters student who has rented before, gotten all deposits back fully, had a very good relationship with my other landlords and I am a very mature and competant tenant but none of this has been good enough for anyone else on Daft. The viewing is definitely happening but I'd really like to know if there is anything at all I can do for this landlord to pick me as a tenant. I know this is an incredibly odd and vague question but I'm viewing this as my last hope and need all the advice I can get. I appreciate all answerssss
    I shall tell you what impresses me, since I recently preferred a postgraduate student couple to professionals.
    1) Offer to send your references before the viewing without the landlord asking, if he/she is clever, he/she will do a pre-check
    2) If your parents can act as financial guarantoors, that helps a lot
    3) Be available for the alloted time for viewing. Landlord or his/her agent have a limited amount of time, if the viewing is at a reasonable time (for example after work hours), it is useless to ask them to come at 9pm: people have a life
    4) Do not request stupid things like: oh I need more furniture here, or I need an additional car space, can you reduce the amount of the deposit? or even worse: can I pay you the deposit after I get the keys? I kid you not, in this market my property manager has been asked these questions and guess what happened: "next one please"
    5) If you performed step (1) go to the viewing with the deposit, if your references are good, you will jump in front of everyone. However if step (1) has not been performed, deposit for me is useless, since checking references takes priority in my book to deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

This advice may be too late in your case - but I only engage with people who reply 'properly' to the ad. i.e. I specify 'email me with details of the number of tenants and what year/course each student is in'.
    Anyone who (a) asks for my phone number (b) asks only when the viewing is (c) doesn't give me the number of tenants, courses & years (d) says only 'I am interested; please phone me at .....' (e) says 'I can't afford €X. Will you take €Y?' gets no further.

Then when the viewing is set up, I expect the prospective tenant to be reasonable about being available, to be on time, to have references ready and to be CALM, polite and friendly! And turn up clean and smartly dressed.

I know it seems like a small thing but be as presentable and organised as you can at your viewing. I'm also a postgrad student and I got offered the first place I went to view, out of 10+ other non-students who also viewed the place. I showed up dressed well, and had printed out all my landlord references, work/college references, payslips/bank statements and put them all in a folder with a cover letter giving a bit of detail about myself and my circumstances to give the LL as soon as I met him.

I got a call an hour after the viewing offering me the property so obviously I left a good impression!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

What you don't do - headline from The Irish Times:
    Prospective tenants came to view, one peered morbidly through my underwear drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Obviously be neat and punctual.

Have all references (landlord/work/college) ready to share in a folder. I personally wouldn't share any financial details at this stage, but that's me. If you feel comfortable doing it, then it's up to you.

Showing this level of attention and foresight will make you look organised, plus you save the landlord work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement