Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Brown Trout lure/bait?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Ive been fishing for about a year and a half now, mainly river fishing but also pier fishing in my spare time, although i catch fairly decent fish pier fishing, i have never caught a nice size trout, even though i go to the river whenever i can, i mainly fish the smearla river in kerry, its a fast floating river in places, but also has slow deep stretches of water, i use a spinning rod and reel, and fish with mepps, wet flies, flying C's, minews, and worms with a bubble, i always catch baby brown trout, but nothing major :(, i cast upstream with the worm bait and let the current drag my rig down stream, and i cast the spinning lures, just after fast flowing water where the water gradually calms and let the lure sink deep in the water will still reeling in,

I havent a clue what im doing wrong 😂, any help is greatly appreciated, thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Michael132 wrote: »
    Ive been fishing for about a year and a half now, mainly river fishing but also pier fishing in my spare time, although i catch fairly decent fish pier fishing, i have never caught a nice size trout, even though i go to the river whenever i can, i mainly fish the smearla river in kerry, its a fast floating river in places, but also has slow deep stretches of water, i use a spinning rod and reel, and fish with mepps, wet flies, flying C's, minews, and worms with a bubble, i always catch baby brown trout, but nothing major :(, i cast upstream with the worm bait and let the current drag my rig down stream, and i cast the spinning lures, just after fast flowing water where the water gradually calms and let the lure sink deep in the water will still reeling in,

I havent a clue what im doing wrong ��, any help is greatly appreciated, thx

Sounds like your doing everything right but not many rivers in kerry with quailty brown trout in them, now salmon and sea trout thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Michael132

blackpearl wrote: »
    Sounds like your doing everything right but not many rivers in kerry with quailty brown trout in them, now salmon and sea trout thats another story.

Thanks, what type of bait or tactics would you recomend for sea trout, as i dont think im good enough for salmon yet :) I am going fishing today, so any help is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The worm has to be the best all round bait in my opinion. I caught my first salmon 7lbs while perch fishing when I was 13 with a worm. Give him plenty line and time and you'll be well able for salmon.

The worm has to be the best all round bait in my opinion. I caught my first salmon 7lbs while perch fishing when I was 13 with a worm. Give him plenty line and time and you'll be well able for salmon.

Thanks a million, i presume the worm rig is a hook with a worm on the end of the line, with a swivle and bubble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

Michael132 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, i presume the worm rig is a hook with a worm on the end of the line, with a swivle and bubble?

As my great gran uncle used say a worm on one end and a fool on the other lol :P
    You dont really need a bubble though but if you want a decent shot at seatrout try dusk or dawn they are very active at night !

• Advertisement

Kerryman79 wrote: »
    As my great gran uncle used say a worm on one end and a fool on the other lol :P
    You dont really need a bubble though but if you want a decent shot at seatrout try dusk or dawn they are very active at night !

Thanks a million, lol, you saved me alot of trouble! :D, will try :)

Advertisement