Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing date - when does vendor's mortgage get cleared?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

Just wondering what date I can expect my mortgage will be cleared after closing? Is it the sane day, or how much longer afterwards?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming the sale amount is enough to clear the balance, I imagine it might take a few weeks for everything to clear and for the mortgage to be cleared from the property registration. Check with your solicitor and/or bank. However, it might be possible that the bank will deem it cleared sooner than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We've sold and bought (and moved via moving truck) on the same day, in Ireland, clearing two mortgages in the process, solicitor will advise what's possible as it can depend on a number of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your mortgage will be cleared immediately - as in, once the bank has been paid the money you owe to them, you don't owe the bank any money any more. I would expect the appropriate entries in the bank's accounts to be made by close of business on the day of settlement.

At closing your bank will hand over a discharge document to enable its mortgage to be taken off the title to the house. The purchaser gets this, not you. By the time this is lodged at the land registry and processed, it may take a little while. But what do you care? It's not your house any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Says Aron

Thanks all, no stress on my end about when the mortgage is removed from the title...my concern is that the balance of the mortgage is cleared promptly to stop interest accruing each day it's not settled! Appreciate the help.

Advertisement