Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Primary PME while working - is it possible

Options
  • 09-08-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm just wondering if anyone is currently or has recently completed the primary PME with Hibernia while also working full time (or close to it)? I have been offered my place but I will have to stay working if I am to take it up. Roughly how many hours a week does the course require? Thanks in advance. Any information greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Spoonsss

I'm starting in September myself and I will also be working at the same time! I know a number of people who have worked full time while doing this course. One you're very organised and can prioritise your time well I think it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

I'm a primary teacher and have had a few student teachers in on placement from this course, most of them were working part time hours or stopped working when the placement weeks came along. The blocks on placement for any teacher training course are extremely demanding and your day on the job is so tiring, so you may need to be prepared to step back from work during this time. Of course if you're working full time you'll know you can't do both, but some of my student teachers were waitressing etc and it's just hard to juggle work with the workload of placement weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I worked full time right up to the placement block, then I had to leave the job as couldn't get the time off. Working full time is perfectly manageable during the course other than the placement when the demands of planning, reflection and paperwork take up a massive amount of time - plus the fact you have to be in the school during usual work hours. Hibernia reduced the placement workload slightly but I'd imagine there's no way you could work during the placement without it impacting on you or your grades negatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brandytimmy

TheKells wrote: »
    I worked full time right up to the placement block, then I had to leave the job as couldn't get the time off. Working full time is perfectly manageable during the course other than the placement when the demands of planning, reflection and paperwork take up a massive amount of time - plus the fact you have to be in the school during usual work hours. Hibernia reduced the placement workload slightly but I'd imagine there's no way you could work during the placement without it impacting on you or your grades negatively.

Thanks for that. Can I ask how did you manage with everything else i.e. hobbies etc. Was it simply work and study or did you have time for exercise or downtime? Also, is it full on for the full 2 years or is there any period where the workload is reduced a little? Finally, how many hours a week do you reckon it takes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Sorry I didn't realise you asked a follow up, probably too late now but... Other than the placement periods you will have plenty of time to yourself. I lived a couple of hours away from my placement schools which made time tighter but during placement you are flat out and no time for anything. You be on placement for roughly 24 weeks out of the two years. I think hibernia estimates 20hours per week but you'd get away with less than half that. I think there's roughly about 2-4 hours of lectures most weeks and then a Saturday in Dublin every 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement